Can I already add shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can I already add shrimp?

My 10 gallon tank is 8 days old ....heavily planted,I had also bought anubia on driftwood ,and Crypt on a rock,didn't rinse these at all ,so snails appeared ,hopefully bacteria too??.The second day the water got cloudy white ,and lasted for a day or two .I did 2 PWC since(around 20 percent-today I noticed a kinda fishy smell hence my 2nd water change),so I think the cycle has begun ,but tests showed no nitrites nor nitrates( I used TETRA test strips ,so not really sure).
I would like to know if I could already add 2 ghost shrimp ,and if there would be a problem with them ganging up on my soon to be added betta male(in about a month) ,for which the aquarium is intended in the first place.Are ghost shrimp aggressive?Has any of you successfully kept several adult shrimp with one betta male?
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

No, you can't add shrimp (or fish) without knowing what your water parameters are.

Pick up a liquid test kit like API. You'll need to know the following:

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

But keeping shrimp with a Betta is a risky move, as they're likely to become a snack for the fish.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

would they be attacked even if the betta was smaller?or the other way around>?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

What do you mean if the betta was smaller?:O Like young? It'll still pick at the shrimp if it has the chance and when it grows, it'll eat them. Unless the bettas personality is one that avoids shrimp.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Look up fishless cycling, that is a beginning point for you. Next point is to ditch the test strips and get a better testing kit. API master test kit usually runs around 20 bucks and is decent. Those paper strips aren't very accurate. The reason you're not showing any nitrite or nitrates is because you haven't added any ammonia. Add ammonia, that gets converted to nitrite, then that gets converted to nitrate, without any ammonia you can't get your cycle started.

As far as ghost shrimp go, your betta may or may not attack them, they shouldn't bother the betta although I have heard of some people getting long armed prawns labeled as ghost shrimp, those things can tear some stuff up. Just keep an eye on all inhabitants of your tank.

Well that's what I get for opening up a whole bunch of tabs, ya'll ninja me! lol
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

It sounds like you are at the beginning of the cycle process. Ammonia has to build up, then its converted to nitrite, then that is converted to nitrate. Read up on the nitrogen cycle and setting up an aquarium. It will take a month or maybe longer to cycle. You will know your tank is cycled when you have Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-5-20ish. You will need some source of ammonia, as the snails I don't think will put out that much. Here is a link that is helpful, be sure to read the "fishless cycling guide"....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post1960797

Well you ninja'd me Sake, haha

Last edited by Dolfan; 06-25-2013 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: edit
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
sourgrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

As everyone said, cycle first then add livestock. Once you've cycled the tank, add the ghosties, give them time to settle in, then add your betta. I've found that adding the more docile inhabitents first results in greater success of everyone living successfully in one tank. Though in the end, it really depends on the bettas disposition.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourgrl View Post
As everyone said, cycle first then add livestock. Once you've cycled the tank, add the ghosties, give them time to settle in, then add your betta. I've found that adding the more docile inhabitents first results in greater success of everyone living successfully in one tank. Though in the end, it really depends on the bettas disposition.
I was considering the driftwood and stone supporting the anubias from LFS already had some BB on them...the tank is heavily planted and plants use ammonia....how could it spike from 2 shrimp and a couple of snails?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

You're not adding ammonia so your BB will die, Also your idea of heavily planted and mine may differ. The plants you have listed are slow growers, stem plants like wisteria or floaters like duckweed would do a better job of sucking ammonia and nitrates out of your water.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
You're not adding ammonia so your BB will die, Also your idea of heavily planted and mine may differ. The plants you have listed are slow growers, stem plants like wisteria or floaters like duckweed would do a better job of sucking ammonia and nitrates out of your water.
When I was about 15 ,I was offered a fishtank.I added water and fish.I haven't lost any of them in 2 years ,when I traded them all for some fishing rods(Ironic ,isn't it).Had no idea about ammonia ,bacteria ,PAR or lumens.Life was much simpler then.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
steakman
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepswithdafishez View Post
When I was about 15 ,I was offered a fishtank.I added water and fish.I haven't lost any of them in 2 years ,when I traded them all for some fishing rods(Ironic ,isn't it).Had no idea about ammonia ,bacteria ,PAR or lumens.Life was much simpler then.
He plans to put a BETA and 2 ghost shrimps in this tank, both of whom I think should be ok. Beta doesn't need cycled water. They can breath air at the same time. The 2 ghost shrimps can live in that 2/3 complete cycle tank IMO.
Where I live, they sell 10 ghost shrimps for a dollar as feeders. If he wants to put a couple of KK in there than I'll say no.
steakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
AdamC13
Algae Grower

bettas MOST DEFINITELY need cycled water. It doesn't matter what they breathe ammonia will still burn his gills. That's like saying you can go walk through a cloud of tear gas and be happy. There's still air to breathe it'll just burn your lungs but you will be fine. As far as ghost shrimp go they probably wouldn't survive now and I don't abide by the thought that just because they are cheap means they are expendable.

Also just to be clear betta fish DO USE THEIR GILLS to breathe water. They CAN breathe surface air because they are a labyrinth fish but they will only do that when water quality is horrible.
AdamC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #13
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/96%)

To survive neither of those two need cycled tank. To keep them happy in a non cycled tank you would need to water change 3ish times a week.

So the easiest thing and the best thing for your animals is to cycle your tank! =) They will not only live, they will be happy, and you wouldn't need to water change so much =).

What happen when you were 15, likely is that you ended up doing a fish in cycle. Meaning your fish was in a non cycled tank at the beginning, and after a while the tank cycled from the ammonia provided by your fish. But that typically mean that your fish wasn't too happy for about a month or two =/.

We can't stop you from trying that again, but i would be sad for the pretty betta that has to swim in ammonia and nitrite until the tank completes its cycle.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #14
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
To survive neither of those two need cycled tank. To keep them happy in a non cycled tank you would need to water change 3ish times a week.

So the easiest thing and the best thing for your animals is to cycle your tank! =) They will not only live, they will be happy, and you wouldn't need to water change so much =).

What happen when you were 15, likely is that you ended up doing a fish in cycle. Meaning your fish was in a non cycled tank at the beginning, and after a while the tank cycled from the ammonia provided by your fish. But that typically mean that your fish wasn't too happy for about a month or two =/.

We can't stop you from trying that again, but i would be sad for the pretty betta that has to swim in ammonia and nitrite until the tank completes its cycle.
I'm in no rush to add any living critter......the more advice I get ,the more I learn ....I'll be going on vacation soon ,so critters can wait till after.I was just contemplating youth when I said life was much simpler.Thanx
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakman View Post
He plans to put a BETA and 2 ghost shrimps in this tank, both of whom I think should be ok. Beta doesn't need cycled water. They can breath air at the same time. The 2 ghost shrimps can live in that 2/3 complete cycle tank IMO.
Where I live, they sell 10 ghost shrimps for a dollar as feeders. If he wants to put a couple of KK in there than I'll say no.
Does KK stand for Krusty Krab?