10g stocking question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Ignacius_betta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10g stocking question

I plan on stocking my tank with a Betta, 5-6 chili raspboras (if I can find them) and some shrimp. Either ghost or cherry. And maybe an Otto. What does TPT think?
Ignacius_betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

I would be weary on keeping shrimp with a betta. It's hit or miss, some don't bother them, other betta eat em like candy. So be mindful they may become snacks.

I'd go ghost shrimp. I have kept them with my betta sucessfully for the last 6+ months. One day I tried to add a cherry and he went after that right away. I am assuming the cherry might have looked tastier, lol.. who knows.

Bettas can sometime get stressed by schooling fish such as chili's, though each Betta is different and yours may not mind.

One other concern would be your Betta simply not getting along with the chili's based on their colors. Other fish with bright colors sometimes aggitate male Betta into thinking it's another male.

Again all this are just possibilties. There are Betta who lives with shrimp, and bright schooling fish and they all get along perfectly... and there is the total opposite too. So just use caution.

As far as stock limits go you're fine as according to http://www.aqadvisor.com/ ,you are at about 80%.
If you decided not to add the Betta all the other listed can live together in perfect harmony.
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

You will need more than one oto in a tank - they seem to be unhealthy by themselves. Depending on how aggressive your betta is, shoaling fish can make him harass oto's and raspboras (dont worry too much about this unless he is overly aggressive).

Adding shrimp especially RCS's, your going to need alot of hiding places and foliage for them to keep away from the Betta. Once again, if the betta is overly aggressive - I highly recommend you dont stock it with shrimp. You also wont see your shrimp when lights are on because of the betta

Ghost shrimp - why ghost? look into Amano, a bit bigger but they are heavy algae cleaners.

I know nothing about raspboras besides they are shoaling fish but maybe think about just sticking with oto's, shrimp and a betta? oto's are very active and lively when they have 5 or more.
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Good idea about the amano's Vermino, think Ima phase the Ghosties out of my betta setup and do the same
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah my Betta does great with my Amano's. I'm hoping to test out RCS with my betta but waiting on my DHG to get fully carpeted (probably two weeks or so)
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I can't wait to find amano shrimp around here. I have 2 10 gallons with King/Giant bettas I'd like to add a couple amano's to.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Ignacius_betta
Algae Grower

I was considering Amanos as well! So you think I should have more ottos and no rasboras? As long as the betta doesn't harass the ottos, and vice versa fine with that. I plan to have a lot of foliage for the shrimp to hide in. A carpet of dhg, swords, crypts, and other "leafy plants" lol. Hopefully he won't decide to make them into a tasty snack.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have 4 harlequin rasboros and 2 ottos with my king betta and he ignores all of them completely. He thinks he is the only fish in the tank which is great for me.

My other king had 2 tetra we just took out and put in the big tank with the other tetras, but now has 8 baby platies, that are just big enough not to fit in his mouth and he is completely ignoring them as well. He's looked at them a time or two but other than that ignoring them. They will finish growing up in there and then I will re-home them to someone else or the pet store. He also ignores the assassin snails that are in there with him but his tank is kind of blah as far as inhabitants because I'd really like the assassins to breed and have the babies live to adulthood to trade or sell.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Ghost shrimp - why ghost?
Cheap is why, why spend a few bucks on a tasty snack when you can spend 30
Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Cheap is why, why spend a few bucks on a tasty snack when you can spend 30
why feed the betta spam when you can feed them kobi? haha ok amano's aren't kobi steak (that would be like king kong shrimp) But just test out the waters with what shrimp you like to introduce into the tank.

Your betta shouldn't harass oto's because they aren't vibrant with color. Remember that oto's survivability rate from LPS is around 50%, so just because one dies doesn't mean it's your fault (most all are pulled from the wild, so they become highly stressed and their bacteria that breaks down food in their stomach dies) They are like little sharks in the aquarium on how they swim, so very interesting to watch.

Just trial and error I say with any shrimp introduction - best scenario to do is:
  • drip acclimation with the shrimp (give them 1-2 hours plus some food to nibble on)
  • feed the betta a few pellets to get his tummy full
  • wait till night and the lights are off to introduce the shrimp
  • cross fingers till morning haha
This lets the shrimp get familiar with the tank at night while the betta is hopefully sleeping or less active. Less stress for the shrimp as well with lights being off.

This is also the case for oto's introduction - Trying to keep them as calm as possible is the best way for a high morality rate. That and you tank should have high quality water.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
JLD
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I agree with the other posters regarding amanos or ghosties over RCS. Otos are shoaling fish and need a group of at least 4. Also they can be finicky to feed. Observe your betta with his tankmates but have a backup plan in case you have to rehome.
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
Ignacius_betta
Algae Grower

Well if anything I will have to take whatever fish I bought back to the store. I'm thinking 4 ottos, and a few harlequins? And a few Amano shrimp.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #13
Ignacius_betta
Algae Grower

According to aqadvisor if I do 1 betta, 4 ottos, 5 harlequins, and 3 Amano shrimp I will be at 109%, and should be doing 34% water changes a week
Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what's your filtration? Also don't add all your fish/shrimp at once. do it in steps because you don't to increase the bio-load too drastically too sudden. so have the betta in for awhile, then a few weeks later add the oto's, then a few weeks later harlequins... etc etc. This lets the BB (beneficial bacteria) build up from the increase bio-load and handle the extra ammonia being created inside the tank
Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #15
Ignacius_betta
Algae Grower

right. I wouldn't want to add it all at once. I am using an aquaclear 20 with two sponges and a bio bag.