DIY C02 Reactor - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-07-2004, 03:40 AM   #31
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Quote:
It's a little scary... if something should go wrong, the entire tank will drain
There you have it! That is why I am not a DIY guy! I live in apartment, above my workplace. If I had a leaking problem I would be DEAD!!!

Mike
Mike,

I can see your concern. I would not want a leak in your situation either. However I have just as much faith in my DIY projects as a store bought product. Heck I usually over engineer my projects, seal them better, make them stronger, etc. Of course it is a matter of comfort level too...

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 04:41 AM   #32
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Jason, I will diagnose you with TTS----> Tim Taylor Syndrome.
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:58 PM   #33
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Jason, I will diagnose you with TTS----> Tim Taylor Syndrome.

Hahahahha :lol: :lol: :lol: Guilty as charged...

Jason
Old 01-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #34
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Keep us posted on this one Jason!!

Mike
Old 01-07-2004, 11:17 PM   #35
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Keep us posted on this one Jason!!

Mike
Will do .... Cant wait to see some more pics of your tank... Always leaves me speechless... Just awsome

Jason
Old 01-14-2004, 04:34 PM   #36
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm looking around for some plumbing parts to make a reactor but can't find the kind of air line fitting I wanted. The kind they use on a reactor 1000 are what I am trying to find. These fittings are sort of a compression fitting that locks the air line in place with a threaded collar. A pretty secure connection with no worries of the air line popping off and creating a water siphon. Heres a couple photos of the fitting:
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:37 PM   #37
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Ok, the search is on...

Jason
Old 01-15-2004, 03:34 AM   #38
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr hyde
I'm looking around for some plumbing parts to make a reactor but can't find the kind of air line fitting I wanted. The kind they use on a reactor 1000 are what I am trying to find. These fittings are sort of a compression fitting that locks the air line in place with a threaded collar. A pretty secure connection with no worries of the air line popping off and creating a water siphon. Heres a couple photos of the fitting:
Ok, after a few hours on line. It appears that kind of connection is unique to gas delivery used in welding. Most specifically inert gases, like nitrogen and as you probably guessed CO2. Any good local welding supply house should be able to get this kind of connector....THere are not any good online catalogs of these connectors for me to show you price, sizes etc.... However, http://www.lencocanada.com/prodcard.html has a pic half way down its page....

Jason
Old 01-15-2004, 04:45 AM   #39
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

That looks like the same type design as these. The only difference is these are plastic, probably next to impossible to find them. May have to go with the brass ones.
Thanks
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:28 PM   #40
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

You can get the plastic ones from www.mcmaster.com, go to page 119 of the catalog. Plastic tube compression fittings. Of course you have to know the OUTER diameter of your tubing.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:59 PM   #41
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
You can get the plastic ones from www.mcmaster.com, go to page 119 of the catalog. Plastic tube compression fittings. Of course you have to know the OUTER diameter of your tubing.

Thanks for the link, however all the fittings on that site are traditional compression fittings that grasp the outside Dia of the line and not the inside like Mr. Hyde was looking for. The other issue is most C02 proof tubing is 4mm and not traditional sized (e.g 3/16,etc) flexible platic tubing. Seems to be unique to welding, tho pneumatic actuators, and robotics also use 4mm tubing, just not the specific connector styles... I have only found the connectors in brass, which should not be of any concern.

Jason
Old 01-16-2004, 12:32 AM   #42
jart
Wannabe Guru

ok, so here's my latest dilemna: since the plumbing specialty store is only open m-f 8 till 4 :evil: i had to send my better half over to pick up 3/4 inch barbs in place of the 1/2 inch barbs (to best fit the 5/8 inch tubing that comes with the xp3. (i have given up on finding 5/8 inch barb fittings).

so when i came home from work today she still had the 1/2 inch fittings. since she had taken the 5/8 inch rena tubing to the store, the guy working there, (who was very helpful to her, i will add), told her that it would be extremely difficult to fit that size tubing onto a 3/4 inch barb. he suggested using clamps with the 1/2 inch barbs. looking at the tubing as i type this, i can kinda see his point; it probably would work. but if i did use the 1/2 inch barbs, my concern would be that the barbs would slow down the outflow of the cannister too much. does anyone have any opinion on this? i know it's only 5/8 inch vs 1/2 inch, not much of a difference one might say, but i seem to recall an equation in physics where water flow is proportional to diameter raised to the fourth power.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #43
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

I think water restriction is the least of your worries. I would still be suspect of those fittings, the last thing you want is to find out you have a leak.... I dont think you water restriction is a concern being it is only at two connections and not the whole length of tube.

Boy I am suprised the local home depot doesnt carry them. I have even seen them at the Ace hardware by me, but being in the great white north of canada might have something to do with it ...

Jason
Old 01-16-2004, 02:16 AM   #44
jart
Wannabe Guru

hey jason, thanks for the quick reply. though i think i'll have to respectfully disagree with you with your premise that "I dont think you water restriction is a concern being it is only at two connections and not the whole length of tube." i think that any restriction at any point would tend to reduce the flow along the whole line. but anyway it's probably a moot point. i REALLY want to get this project done this weekend, so i posted the question over at aquabotanic as well. rex was kind enough to point out that he indeed has in the past fitted the rena xp3 tubing over a 3/4 inch barb. so maybe i can leave work a little early tomorrow before the store closes.

thanks jason, and your comments re possible leaking from a questionable fitting are worth noting as well.

hope all's well, keep the tank pics coming,
jart
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:22 AM   #45
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Jart,

Keep me posted. I think with a little heat to soften(hair dryer, heat gun :shock: ) the hose it will fit over the 3/4 barb. I had originally bought both when doing my reactor and while the 5/8 is a better fit, 3/4 is doable.. After answering your question, I re-thought my comment on the restriction and agree you are correct. A smaller orfice is a just that. A restriciton to flow... I still would not worry about it.... 8)

I would love to see a pic when it is done.... Kind of interested in any design improvements you made over mine

Jason