DIY C02 Reactor
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-20-2003, 06:47 PM   #1
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello all,

Here is some photos of my DIY C02 reactor for my tank.... Let me know what you think.

Water flows in the top(you can see the threaded hole that I will install the C02 line into... Water runs through reactor filled with Bio-balls and exits at bottom back to tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2003, 06:49 PM   #2
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Here are a few more. Total costs @$25

Jason
Old 12-21-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
jart
Wannabe Guru

thanks for posting this. i have a question:

what size barb are you going to use to input the co2 line? the smallest one i could find that would fit into a design such as this is 1/4" (i think).

i am planning on running standard co2 airline tubing from my bubble counter to my reactor; obviously this isn't going to fit onto a such a large barb. thus, i think i am going to simply drill a hole and input the tubing directly, either with an airline connector thingy (a la ghori from aquabotanic) or without (a la rex).
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Jart,

Not sure yet. I really havent started to look for that particular part. If I cant find a threaded nipple that fits the 3/16 airline tubing and will thread into my reactor, I will either make an adapter or put a plug in that hole and drill it to fit a nipple I can find....

I will post some pics of the end result

Jason
Old 12-22-2003, 03:18 PM   #5
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

you could just glue in a piece of rigid airline tubing, then hookup the CO2 line to that, maybe use a little zip-tie to ensure it won't slip off.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:08 PM   #6
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Gregg,

Good point....

Jason
Old 12-22-2003, 07:32 PM   #7
jart
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbiz
If I cant find a threaded nipple that fits the 3/16 airline tubing and will thread into my reactor, I will either make an adapter or put a plug in that hole and drill it to fit a nipple I can find....
well i was also thinking today that after Christmas i will go to the home brew store. they would probably have bigger co2 tubing there that would fit the 1/4" barb. it shouldn't be a problem to modify my bubble counter design to accomodate the larger tubing.

i guess i have to go back to the specialty plastics store as well :evil: . my rena xp3 _finally_ arrived on the weekend. the 5/8" tubing that comes with it fits the 1/2" barbs on my reactor a liitle too loosely. i'll replace them with 3/4" barbs instead, then heat the tubing/use some vaseline to get the 5/8" tubing to fit. as roger miller said on the aquabotanic forum a while ago, it's best to have the barbs a size too big than a size too small.

thanks for the comment malkore. your idea would be another alternative to the airline connector idea shown here:

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...p;m=9556098022

and malkore, re your comment about the co2 tubing slipping off... wouldn't _that_ be a nice Christmas present to wake up to :lol:

season's greetings all,

jart
Old 12-22-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Jart,

I will let you know when I figure out what I am going to use... Should know by the end of the week..

Jason
Old 12-23-2003, 10:18 PM   #9
E. Simpson
Algae Grower

I'm looking at your picture and the inlets you have.Is the water input on the side with the 2 inlets or the other side that has only 1?Or is it the other way around?

Reason I'm asking is because say your water comes in on the side with 2 inlets.I'll assume the 2nd inlet is going to be for your co2 line.I think you will have a problem here because the idea is that the co2 bubbles need to go against the flow of water so that they suspend long enough to dissolve.The way I see your design here the co2 bubbles will be swept up with the water flow and taken right though the tube.

If you take alook at the diy version that gulfcoast.. has on his site you'll see what I mean.His works really well because it has an inside tube that brings the water back up and causes the co2 to be caught within the main chamber.

but then again maybe I'm totally missing your design here and am wrong
on how it will work.

Ernie
E. Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 10:22 PM   #10
E. Simpson
Algae Grower

Just thought of another thing.You could epoxy a check valve in that hole for attaching your co2 line.I did mine that way over a year ago and it's never leaked.

Ernie
Old 12-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #11
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Ernie,

The reactor will sit with the 90degree fitting as the top(or as you described the two inlets). This is also where the water will come in as well as the C02. The water will then travel down through the tube/bioballs to the bottom where it will then exit to the tank. My reasoning for this design is based off of James Hoftiexer's design that I modified for my setup: http://www.hoftiezer.net/personal/aquaria/

Jason
Old 12-24-2003, 12:31 AM   #12
E. Simpson
Algae Grower

OK I looked again and I was wrong.I was picturing it standing the other way which would have made the co2 float in the same direction as the water flow.Actually the more I look at it the more I like it.

Wish I knew where to get some of that clear pvc.It looks good that way IMO.

Ernie
Old 12-24-2003, 12:36 AM   #13
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Simpson

Wish I knew where to get some of that clear pvc.It looks good that way IMO.

Ernie
You asked

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...ngs&Page=1

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 01:10 AM   #14
jart
Wannabe Guru

i am wondering if some sort of a check valve should be used between the reactor and bubble counter. of course, there usually is sufficient pressure present in the (pressurized) co2 line to prevent water from getting into the regulator, correct?

but, (since regulators are far more expensive than check valves ), if people feel that a check valve should be used, i was wondering if anyone has recommendations on what type of valve would be preferred?
Old 12-24-2003, 01:30 AM   #15
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Jart,

I plan on using a good check valve, mounted as close to the reactor as possible. C02 tubbing might be small, but I dont like wet carpet :x

If the tank dumps or developes a leak somewhere, I dont want to have to worry about a water leak...

Jason