What is the best and safest way to remove minor scratches for aquarium.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
jln1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

What is the best and safest way to remove minor scratches for aquarium.

Hi guys, I just purchase a cheap 50 gallon for 50$ with stand but it has minor scratches and well, it's just old so I go online and do some research and find out there are chemicals that can do by hands or chemical use with drill tools (using heat along with it) to remove scratches. So I don't have the drill tool so I have to find the chemicals that I can use by hand and I don't know whether it works or not. this is
the one the one
I'm talking about.

By the way, have anybody try to call so glass repair auto service to remove scratches??
jln1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
WallaceGrover
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Have you tried filling the tank? If they're on the inside, small scratches get filled with water and they're very hard to notice...
WallaceGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
jln1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

i did, if there is light on and take a look closer, I see them.
jln1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
niko
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)

Yeah you can do it. Best thing is to empty the tank. But you may end up with another problem depending on how deep the scratches are and how willing you are to polish away. You will have to use some kind of electric tool. Don't think you can just hand rub the compounds like the Egyptians or Mayans built their pyramids or something.

The scratch may disappear but you may create a lower area in the surface of the glass. This will distort the image seen through the glass.

Best advice is to learn to ignore the fine scratches. If the scrathes bother you too much get a new tank. Also, trust me, a heavily scratched tank hides most of the issues IF the aquasaping is beautiful. The eye just focuses on other things.

Another cheap trick is to move your light fixture forward or to the back. You will be amazed what difference that makes on both the appearance of the tank and the scratches that remain visible. Or become visible
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
JasterMake
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I used the drill attachment to remove some etched glass on my hood.. The glass that protects the lights. It worked very well. It was $10 at harbor freight. It came with the pads and attachment for the drill.

It took some time but it was worth it.
JasterMake is offline   Reply With Quote