Betta Issues
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Sephiroth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Betta Issues

okay...so Ive had some pretty bad luck recently with bettas and have about gave up.

So over the course of a few months Ive had about 4 bettas. These are all petsmart betta (most likely my issue)

The tank is cycled and moderately planted. I use the API mater kit and it is NOT outdated.

The tank has 3 ottos and a betta (when there is a betta in there)

First two betta just died...unknown reasons. Third had swim bladder disease, he wouldnt eat, I tried the blanched pea but I couldnt get him to eat. 4th had fin rot, I suppose I am partly to blame on this one, My wife took back the 3rd one and picked this one out...well I could tell he had issues when I got him, but I tried to nurse him back...came home this evening and he didnt make it.

Now i guess I could use some direction here, Ive also noticed my Trumpet snails are not active....like at all. Even at night, there are a few that are, but majority just sit on top of the substrate and dont really move. I see them from time to time start to come out, kinda hang out a few minutes and then proceed to go back into their shell.

The three Ottos seem to be doing great, fat little buggers. Cleaned the tank up really nicely. I give them half an algae wafer every other day. Its usually gone by morning, or afternoon the next day.

So should I take it as bad stock from petsmart and try a breeder...or do I have another issue with the tank that I am not finding...

P.S. I tested for Copper and it was a negative.
P.P.S. I have a heater and its constant 80-81
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

How many gallons is your tank?

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Sephiroth
Algae Grower

10gal
Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
atomb
Algae Grower

How often water changes and what's the water parameters

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
atomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
Sephiroth
Algae Grower

ammonia and nitrites 0 Nitrate 10-20 Water changes weekly (30ish% depending on nitrate levels)
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
Ignacius_betta
Algae Grower

Wouldn't you want to quarantine and keep them separate and calm for a few days in a smaller tank before introducing them to the big tank?
Ignacius_betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

This is weird, I've never had problems with bettas in my tanks, including Petsmart bettas. I feel that it can't all be related to poor health bettas at their store, that's a lot of strong, tanky fish to die from one tank.

How's your filtration looking? What filter is being used and what's the turnover rate? I, personally, would lower the temperature to 76-78F, but that shouldn't be the problem. What substrate are you using as well?
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 AM   #8
ichise
Algae Grower

Using any aged water or Prime/anti chlorine

Any pics of your tank ?

Last edited by ichise; 06-25-2013 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: Pics
ichise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Sephiroth
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignacius_betta View Post
Wouldn't you want to quarantine and keep them separate and calm for a few days in a smaller tank before introducing them to the big tank?
I acclimate them for about an hour. same as I did the ottos (which I thought were less hardy of a species?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn
This is weird, I've never had problems with bettas in my tanks, including Petsmart bettas. I feel that it can't all be related to poor health bettas at their store, that's a lot of strong, tanky fish to die from one tank.

How's your filtration looking? What filter is being used and what's the turnover rate? I, personally, would lower the temperature to 76-78F, but that shouldn't be the problem. What substrate are you using as well?
filter is a HOB that came with the tank (marina slim S15) the filters are likely due to be changed, I was thinking of a way to either switch to filter floss and some form of media...might just order cartridges till I can figure that out.
I also cut the flow of the filter down probably half of normal, none of the betta liked the full flow. (which is expected)
Substrate is Pool Filter Sand (which seems to be discoloring on the top...light brownish. I havent vacuumed it in a bit.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichise
Using any aged water or Prime/anti chlorine

Any pics of your tank ?
Yes Prime is used, its not aged however. Problem I had with letting the water sit for any extended time they got cold (due to the House AC) Our tap water runs 82 degrees (yay florida water...no cold water here) I can get a pic up later today after work for ya.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Your temps should be fine for your betta. If there were anything wrong in the water (based on my experience, nothing else) the ottos would be the first to go. Ottos are so small they are effected by bad water very easily.

Could be you had a bad run of unhealthy bettas. Unless you watch them eat and then watch the poop color, there is no telling if they have anything internal going on. Bettas that sit in a cup for an extended amount of time, can come with issues from the bad water in the cups and some just can't recover from it.

We rescued so many bettas from Petsmart and Petco that were to far gone, gave them a home for the last days/weeks of their life. They try to get better and have such good personalities that after this last one - A king that was white with gold/tan edges on the fins that I absolutely fell in love with, pretty sure he had something internal or colunmaris going on - my boyfriend made the call that we won't be bringing home any more bettas that look sickly for awhile. My heart needed a break after 6 bettas in a row that were just to far gone to save and especially that White Giant/King - I wanted him to live so badly, I cried for days after he died. We had been looking for a light colored giant for over a year. Not all of them die that you try to rescue, we have 3 who are just fine but some you can just try and make them as comfortable as possible.

Our next betta we will probably get off of Ebay, there is a seller that sells a lot of rosetails and includes shipping in his price around 40.00 total - beats the heck out of transhipper fees from over seas thats for sure. There is one on there now I'd kill for but we just don't have the money for it right now, I've never had a rosetail and I think they would be pretty to watch grow up.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Sephiroth
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Your temps should be fine for your betta. If there were anything wrong in the water (based on my experience, nothing else) the ottos would be the first to go. Ottos are so small they are effected by bad water very easily.

Could be you had a bad run of unhealthy bettas. Unless you watch them eat and then watch the poop color, there is no telling if they have anything internal going on. Bettas that sit in a cup for an extended amount of time, can come with issues from the bad water in the cups and some just can't recover from it.

We rescued so many bettas from Petsmart and Petco that were to far gone, gave them a home for the last days/weeks of their life. They try to get better and have such good personalities that after this last one - A king that was white with gold/tan edges on the fins that I absolutely fell in love with, pretty sure he had something internal or colunmaris going on - my boyfriend made the call that we won't be bringing home any more bettas that look sickly for awhile. My heart needed a break after 6 bettas in a row that were just to far gone to save and especially that White Giant/King - I wanted him to live so badly, I cried for days after he died. We had been looking for a light colored giant for over a year. Not all of them die that you try to rescue, we have 3 who are just fine but some you can just try and make them as comfortable as possible.

Our next betta we will probably get off of Ebay, there is a seller that sells a lot of rosetails and includes shipping in his price around 40.00 total - beats the heck out of transhipper fees from over seas thats for sure. There is one on there now I'd kill for but we just don't have the money for it right now, I've never had a rosetail and I think they would be pretty to watch grow up.

See now that's what I was thinking as well. Ive heard so many people saying they loose more oto than they have survive the acclimation part. So I don't know. I don't know wether to get another with the return or just see if I can get my money back and find one from a breeder. But I also don't want to spend 40ish bucks on a betta that might die if I out it in this tank if there is some unseen issue.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-25-2013 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Added comment
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
JLD
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

You dont have to spend $40 on a breeder betta. There are breeders that sell pet quality bettas cheaper; but they are by no means cheap fish, just not show or breeding quality. Shop on Aquabid or no ebay links allowed
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Sephiroth
Algae Grower

True enough. So I guess my question now is my tank safe. I am fairly new to the hobby but from what I can tell I don't see any reason to think its not. Perhaps ill change out one of the filter cartridges and let it run for a bit. Then maybe try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
You dont have to spend $40 on a breeder betta. There are breeders that sell pet quality bettas cheaper; but they are by no means cheap fish, just not show or breeding quality. Shop on Aquabid or no ebay links allowed
Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
JLD
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'd do a big water change first and foremost and do a good thorough cleaning of the substrate, just to be safe. Again make sure to quarantine any new betta separately for at least 1 week, 2 is best.
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
Sephiroth
Algae Grower

Sounds good. I got an old 1 gallon tank I can use for quarantine. Any advise on setting that up? Should I use substrate or just leave it Bare?
It also doesn't have a filter or heater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
I'd do a big water change first and foremost and do a good thorough cleaning of the substrate, just to be safe. Again make sure to quarantine any new betta separately for at least 1 week, 2 is best.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-25-2013 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Added text