Rainbowfish, all about them
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Rainbowfish, all about them

I want to know the ins and outs of the different species, and what rainbows you guys are keeping.

I assume they both act and look better when kept in groups of the same species as opposed to a mix of things. I'm thinking about grabbing a group of them for my 75, just not sure what species I'd want to have around again.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

http://peter.unmack.net/tappin/Rainbowfishes.2011.pdf
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
EddyBearr
Algae Grower

Melanotaenia Lacustris (Turquoise Rainbowfish.)

Survived in a 10 gallon quarantine (and circumstantially made a long-term tank. A full 8 months in there) tank at a 2.5-3inch size. 10 of them.
3 of them died after the filter malfunctioned so circulation went down, so I'd want to say they need high oxygen and are sensitive to ammonia.

They survived in nitrites of over 100 PPM just fine (long term). They even tried breeding. When I introduced some java moss, they became beyond happy and two tried to claim breeding spots at once.

In my group of 7, I have one obviously dominant male, one secondary male, and 2 more which "might be males, but obviously are low on the hierarchy." The dominant male is the largest rainbowfish.

They do school with each other, and they seem to avoid eating flakes after they're starting to sink (but obviously will get right at it.) Mine seem to dislike eating chunks from a bloodworm brick, and seem to dislike eating anything that has gone lower in the tank.

Having moved them into a 45 gallon tank, they are now much happier.

The colors on the turquoise rainbowfish are the best, in my opinion. The vivid blues, and then anything from yellow to pink as well.

Mine are extremely hardy and tolerant, but extremely active, and got injured from a somewhat sharp decoration I had (healing shortly after taking it out.) They're naturally fast nature might make them susceptible to scratching along things.

Finally, they're pretty smart. They constantly watch me for food, and recognize their food container.

I feed them a quality flake food made of spirulina and krill, with bloodworms sometimes.

I can't think of anything triggering them to want to breed. They just started getting in the mood (or at least the males did. The females hadn't been interested.)

They've been in their 45 gallon for a week or so, so we'll see what else there is in the coming months.

That's probably all I have to offer.
EddyBearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have 7 threadfin rainbow fishes. Really neat little fish. The females have developed a beautiful honey blonde color and the males seem to do nothing but show off for the ladies.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Bruce_S
Planted Member

I'm currently keeping several Melanotaenias: turquoise, splendida, trifasciata, herbertaxelrodi, boesemani, and praecox, all of the "floridensis" races . . .

I've fallen pretty hard for the 'bows, bright colors, active swimming, clean lines - oh, and did anyone mention how _quickly_ those colors can change? The only things I can remember seeing which changes colors so fast are cephalopods. (Octopus and squids) I've seen a turquoise rainbow go from blue-green to metallic pumpkin orange and back to blue-green in less time than it took you to read this sentence.

My 'bows aren't at all fussy about food. Frozen blocks? Yum! That's cause for a feeding frenzy that'd look good on "Shark Week". Flakes? Micro-pellets? Charge 'em at the surface and take 'em like a trout! Big algae wafers? Wait directly above them, half an inch from the substrate, while the corys & plecos work 'em over - then periodically grab them and thrash 'em, picking up the smaller bits before anyone else has a chance!

They're pretty in the evening, but at their best in the mornings.

Praecox are the smallest of the ones I've got, full grown at about 6-8cm, trifasciata will grow the largest eventually, though the biggest in my tank now is a M. splendida inornata at about 5 inches or so. (Don't let the inexpensive Australian rainbows in your LFS' tank fool you into thinking these are plain silvery fish - under better conditions, they'll reward you with purple scales and orange lines between, yellow and red fins with thick black margins. Gorgeous fish on a budget!)

HTH
~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have

5 turquoise
5 boesemani
5 psuedoincisus
10 praecox

I feed mine white worms, brine shrimp, color enhancing flake and a spirulina flake.

Hardy as all heck, and fun to watch, especially in the morning. Slow growers IMO compared to other fish I have kept and that is with my temp cranked up to 82
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

What about the gertrude rainbow fish? I would check on which 1s live the longest.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

I'm more into the bigger ones, anything that hovers around 3 inches or more in size and has that bell shape that rainbows have..

Although the blue eyes are beautiful, I just don't have a tank that I'd be comfortable putting them in.

Also, the stories and links are fantastic guys , but anyone else please feel free to add more.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

i love bosemani's their colors are awesome
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Love to see a picture of this tank! Are they all from the local breeder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
I have

5 turquoise
5 boesemani
5 psuedoincisus
10 praecox

I feed mine white worms, brine shrimp, color enhancing flake and a spirulina flake.

Hardy as all heck, and fun to watch, especially in the morning. Slow growers IMO compared to other fish I have kept and that is with my temp cranked up to 82
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

How about the Glossolepsis incisus, red rainbow? Post #1121 has a nice picture with rainbow fish
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #12
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
Love to see a picture of this tank! Are they all from the local breeder?

I think the last post has some poics of my tank, my camera sucks, but the fish all look great and even better as they have put on a little size.

Jim is a breeder in chicago, if you want some more info PM me.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

I have several rainbows in my 55 gallon and like Bruce, I have fallen for their awesome appearance, colors, behaviors, etc. Simply put, eye candy fish! They look even more great when they start breeding/spawning and when males are showing off for females also if you have them in a nice heavily planted tank.. and I agree that they look spectacular in the early morning light too..

2 Boosemanis
1 Turquiose
1 Australian Splendid
2 Axelrodi females
1 Cerulian Trifaciata

All kept in about 77 degrees to 80 depending on room temp but usually around 77ish.

Glad to see a lot of bow keepers. They're awesome colourful looking fish.

Looking to get a bit more..

They are fed a variety of fish protein and spirulina flakes, freeze-dried insects such as brine shrimp, blood worms, cali blackworms, mysis shrimp, live fruitflies, live grindal worms, daphnia moina, blanched vegetables.. I feed a lot of different stuff.
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank

Last edited by NeonFlux; 06-26-2013 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Had more to say about rainbows.
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #14
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
I want to know the ins and outs of the different species, and what rainbows you guys are keeping.

I assume they both act and look better when kept in groups of the same species as opposed to a mix of things. I'm thinking about grabbing a group of them for my 75, just not sure what species I'd want to have around again.
I have M.herbertaxelrodi, M.Bosmani, M. Nigrans (fairly rare) Great fish, always moving.

I have also kept M.Kamaka and M. Praecox.

The guy to talk to is Rainbowfish (Gary Lange) (on the forum) he is the U.S. guru on bows. Zimbo is another good one to talk to he in the past has actively bred them

Also when you get a chance, head on over to Rainbow-fish.org very good resource and very nice people on the forums able to help you with any bow questions.

the trick to bows is to find a very good quality one. The ones coming from the fish farms in Florida have been bred between them so much the colors can sometimes be drab, and the chance of ending up with a hybrid is high. My Bosmani was purchased at a LFS that gets them in from a local breeder sometimes. I have NEVER seen a bosmani with this deep of an orange in his tail than the ones he can get. There are some more slender shaped fish as well like the M.Nigrans, they are slender with long fin lines. the colors are subtle, but it is also what makes them beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Great book! There are many of the fish in there thought that are no longer in the U.S. hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
What about the gertrude rainbow fish? I would check on which 1s live the longest.

They are jerks lol boisterous is the nicest thing to say lol. They will easily pick on larger bows. They also have a shorter lifespan so continuous breeding is needed to keep a group up.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

What are the lifespans of most rainbows? A LFS has some that they claim to e goyodor river, they want $30 a pair I believe...

Then again I want 6 rainbows so that might be a hefty price tag. Idk what the going prices on rainbows are.