YAY!!! I got greenwater!!!! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-29-2003, 05:32 AM   #31
NyCzBuBba
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba

ok made a mistake with nitrate test its 0ppm
NyCzBuBba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2003, 05:50 AM   #32
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Are you sure :lol: that's good for Discus... but you might just get it up a little, it is possible that it helps battling the green water. Basically any change in conditions could make them disappear. A balanced NO3/PO4 relation being one of them.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2003, 08:56 PM   #33
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well so much for knocking on wood, my greenwater is back with a vengeance. After my last thorough double diatom filtering it has taken about twice as long to come back as usual but it is back just as bad as ever. I've held back on feeding and kept with once a week 1/3 water changes as usual. I'm thinking that when I originally set my tank up I may have overdid it with using plant fertilizer plugs. I uprooted a few plants last week and may have leaked some fertilizer into the water. I used about 15 plant plugs in a 46 gallon tank, probably should have not used any to start out. What else could it be? I'm thinking of just letting it run it's course like wasserpest suggested. I'm wondering just how long I should let it go. The plants are probably going to be starving for light soon, if not already.
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2003, 05:56 AM   #34
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Don't worry too much about the plants (unless you do blackouts :lol: ).

Whatever has leached into your water column needs to be taken out or eaten up by those critters, I mean phytoplankton. I remember someone having problems for an extended time, and he later realized that his fertilizer sticks or plugs were GONE. They had been sitting on top of the tank somewhere :lol:

If you had stuff leaking into the water, water changes will surely speed the clearing up. In contrary to a GW in a freshly setup tank.

You really should test your NO3/PO4 levels and see if they need any adjustments.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:17 PM   #35
nativeplanter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I live in an area where the phosphorus in the tap water is incredible! I have successfully gotten rid of green water many times by using a flocculant such as "Crystal Clear" (available at Wal-Mart even!). It works by making tiny particles (such as single-celled algae) clump together, and a regular old filter can then trap them. It also works very fast! Flocculants are marketed as a means of clearing cloudy or murky water. It's a very inexpensive and very effective solution for me. Use a low dose at first, as some fish can be sensitive (watch for gasping at the surface. It will clear up in an hour or two).
nativeplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2003, 07:15 PM   #36
mr hyde
Planted Member

Wasserpest, I tested today for Nitrates and Phosphates and both tests showed 0. I've tested it in the past and have always gotten 0, not even registering on the test chart. Could it be something in my tap water, Phosphorus or Sulfer? My tap water(softened well water) is probably not the best, it has a slight sulfer smell to it before going through the water softener and is not crystal clear. I've always mixed 1 part tap water to 5 parts RO water but I'm going to start getting tap water from a different source. A friend of mine has well water that may be better quality.
The green water seemed like it gradually started getting worse after my last water change using my tap water. Using the diatom filter seems to me just a temporary fix, I sure would like to find the root of this problem.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:24 PM   #37
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr hyde
Assuming these tests I did are accurate...
Dangerous thing! What tests are you using? Have you made sure they work? Zero levels of NO3 are not good. And if indeed something leached into your water, I would have expected some PO4 readings.

1) Make sure your test kits work, by mixing a solution with a known ppm, and testing that.
2) Test your tank water
3) Dose it to 5ppm NO3 and 0.5ppm PO4
4) Test tank water again to see if the results are as expected
5) Wait and see... patience
Old 12-30-2003, 07:44 PM   #38
mr hyde
Planted Member

Wasserpest, I don't have any way of dosing my tank at this time for phosphates and nitrates but I did do another test to see if the tests would register. I have a turtle tank set up that is in need of a water change so I knew the readings would not be 0 on this tank. I came up with a phosphate reading of 5mg/l and nitrates of 20 mg/l. Not a super accurate way of knowing the test kit is accurate but at least it tells me it does register. The kit is a hagen and it's expiration date is far off.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:44 PM   #39
Wasserpest
Are these real?

I think GW needs a very specific combination of conditions. Otherwise it would be haunting many more tanks. Therefore, a change of conditions could wipe it out. If you are sure that both NO3 and PO4 is zero in your tank, changing that to 5/0.5ppm is a drastic change of conditions which might wipe out that green fog.

If not... hmmm I am running out of ideas here... back to diatom filtering? :roll:
Old 12-30-2003, 09:22 PM   #40
Shakey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

For what its worth, I read on a site about how a guy ran his tank water though another tank that contained a colony of water fleas. They eat the unicellular algae and that cleared it up for him.

Unfortunately I am no clue at all on how to raise them, but I do know that most LFS's around here sell eggs for creating the colony, but as for how to do something like that, I have no info

Its not an easy fix, but I know it does work, just not the easiest to pull off, but I figured I would throw it out there.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2004, 06:43 AM   #41
NyCzBuBba
Planted Tank Obsessed

HEre is my pic of my latest it gotten better how much longer till crystal clear?[/img]
Old 01-04-2004, 06:50 AM   #42
NyCzBuBba
Planted Tank Obsessed

how do you add picture???
Old 01-04-2004, 06:51 AM   #43
NyCzBuBba
Planted Tank Obsessed

ahhhh got it now lol!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:55 AM   #44
Wasserpest
Are these real?

If it started clearing up all by itself, it shouldn't take that long, maybe two or three days. If you did something like a huge water change or diatom filtration etc, it might come "back with vengeance"
Old 01-04-2004, 06:58 AM   #45
NyCzBuBba
Planted Tank Obsessed

I lost alot of plants that died in my tank and the glosso died too well alot of it doing this black out very upset its like i got to start new again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.