Need some AS advice.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
DaveFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Need some AS advice.

Alright so I just got a bunch of Aquasoil for my new 40 gallon breeder. I went through a huge brown slime algae, Rhizo, outbreak. Biggest the World has ever seen and that was with constant water changes. I figure that is because my soil volume in comparison to water volume is really high. About 45 liters so a little over a 1/4 of my tank volume. But with the high rock volume it is actually even higher when compared against water. I can only get 26 gallons of water into the 40 breeder. I would assume my AS will last for a very long time, from what I have heard, but I am skeptical. I have a bunch of lava rubble and bigger lava rocks at the base for support and water circulation. I hope I don't get hydrogen sulfide. I doubt I will.

Now the algae is gone and most everything is looking better. My S. repens is not doing well. My blyxa J is doing really well and I just got some UG and Fissidens, so we will wait and see...

My concern is how much liquid dosing should I do? People give mixed opinions. Some people do minimal to no dosing and claim the soil lasts for 1 year, I have even heard 2-3 years! As in slowly releasing nutrients until they are gone? I don't really do a lot of liquid dosing and rely heavily on DIY osmocote+ or Dynamite plant food root tabs in eco-complete. Do I need to add root tabs to AS? I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and wanted to try AS out, but it is ruining my system/method. I think that slow release poly coated DIY root tabs with chelated micro liquid dosing here and there grows plants better and faster than anything I have ever tried, IME. I want to continue with light liquid dosing. As well as small water changes, I only do bi-weekly 20% changes. Don't mention anything about EI method. Been there done that. Not my style and inefficient to say the least. No offense Thomas. And I want to continue to rely on the substrate for nutrients. Does AS have sufficient nutrients to sustain, continued rapid growth of plants, for a long period of time?

Any advice on sustained growth and dosing would be appreciated.

I haven't been dosing anything but Excel here and there. Really high lighting, Finnex Ray 2- 2 fixtures and pressurized Co2.

Thanks

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1557.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	164257  

Last edited by DaveFish; 06-24-2013 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: more info
DaveFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

Since you have UG, you'll definitely need your strong lighting, pressurized CO2 (tons of it) and dosing the EI method - whether you like it or not, you'll have to dose some form of it to be successful with UG. And because you've got such strong lighting. Don't dose Excel with it, either. UG will do best with regular water changes (weekly) with matched parameters. It's a great plant when its needs are met and you keep it thinned.

Aquasoil has enough nutrient content to sustain plants in a low-light setup for a few years. But more nutrients will obviously be used in a high light environment, as plants will grow more quickly.

Your S. repens is likely just adjusting to new water parameters, which is common.

Am guessing part of your algae outbreak issue stems from having so much light. With hardscape that tall, tons of light was hitting it.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
DaveFish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Since you have UG, you'll definitely need your strong lighting, pressurized CO2 (tons of it) and dosing the EI method - whether you like it or not, you'll have to dose some form of it to be successful with UG. And because you've got such strong lighting. Don't dose Excel with it, either. UG will do best with regular water changes (weekly) with matched parameters. It's a great plant when its needs are met and you keep it thinned.

Aquasoil has enough nutrient content to sustain plants in a low-light setup for a few years. But more nutrients will obviously be used in a high light environment, as plants will grow more quickly.

Your S. repens is likely just adjusting to new water parameters, which is common.

Am guessing part of your algae outbreak issue stems from having so much light. With hardscape that tall, tons of light was hitting it.
Alright, thanks for the advice. I guess I will have to get out of my comfort zone for the UG!! Which I will it is worth it.
I will probably dose the same way I do on my 55 gallon. No need to fix something that ain't broken. Probably a little more because of the lights. Chelated liquid ferts bound to amino acids are better than the average dry ferts anyhow and for now I don't need to add root tabs, but eventually will. I will do weekly water changes.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It is ABSOLUTELY worth it. Terrific plant. One of my favorites because of its striking color and the way it flows with the water.

It really loves N and P.

Be sure you thin it out when it gets too thick.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
DaveFish
Planted Member

Quote:
It is ABSOLUTELY worth it. Terrific plant. One of my favorites because of its striking color and the way it flows with the water.

It really loves N and P.

Be sure you thin it out when it gets too thick.
I guess I already am doing close to 50% water changes. 10 gallons out of 26. Do you ever trim the top of it like HC, or is that bad? So when I thin it out I just pull blades out from wherever? Will it rot if you don't?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Jonny
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your tank looks gorgeous.

I know it is too late for this tank, but James Findley from the green machine banked his substrate very high too (50cm) in a tank he called '
', you can watch the making of video if you like. He used a techniques of layering different sized substrates to prevent potential issues of hydrogen sulphide. You can see a quick view at about 9 minutes if you want.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
DaveFish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Your tank looks gorgeous.

I know it is too late for this tank, but James Findley from the green machine banked his substrate very high too (50cm) in a tank he called 'Altitude', you can watch the making of video if you like. He used a techniques of layering different sized substrates to prevent potential issues of hydrogen sulphide. You can see a quick view at about 9 minutes if you want.
I love this video. I watched it a few times on YouTube. That is basically what I did I filled the bottom layer with lava rubble then the middle section with eco-complete then the top 3-4 inches with Aquasoil. I actually did all of that before I watched the video. I told everyone on YouTube I did it around the same time without knowing and they all got offended. lol Then two weeks ago I saw Amano do it on his new collaboration scape. He even used big pieces of lava rubble vs just using powersand. Kinda weird. No one knows who I am, but I thought of it around the same time. There are probably dozens of people that think to do this.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Jonny
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

That is great to hear, you shouldn't have any problems on that front then

It really isn't unusual in the slightest for a plethora of unrelated people to conceive of the same ideas at the same time. It has happened all throughout the history of invention. Pretty awesome that you can put your brain in the same category as Amano and Findley!

I really think the dark rock (Is that dragonstone?) and amazonia AS is a beautiful combination. It has such an atmospheric look to it and the green of the plant colour really does explode from the scenery. This combination is absolutely something I would like to try if I manage to get a third long tank for the kitchen I look forward to watching your grow in
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Don't trim it - it's easier, cleaner and better for the plant to thin it out.

If you don't keep it thinned out, it'll uproot and/or light won't reach the bottom of the plant (because it will be too thick), causing eventual death of the plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
I guess I already am doing close to 50% water changes. 10 gallons out of 26. Do you ever trim the top of it like HC, or is that bad? So when I thin it out I just pull blades out from wherever? Will it rot if you don't?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
DaveFish
Planted Member

Quote:
Don't trim it - it's easier, cleaner and better for the plant to thin it out.

If you don't keep it thinned out, it'll uproot and/or light won't reach the bottom of the plant (because it will be too thick), causing eventual death of the plant.
Okay so my UG is starting to spread and some pieces are starting to connect. So that is good. Do I thin it out, in the center of the sections, even while it is still spreading? Or wait til it carpets? What did you do?

Thanks, Dave.

Tags
aquasoil+ada, dosing, fertilizers, substrate