Another paintball co2 diy project
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-16-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
Snazzy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Another paintball co2 diy project

i know this has been been down by a stick like 100 times already. at most of the discusions about this is that the set up will cost like 140 close to the price of doing a 5lb tank. i have found some things that will make this a lot cheaper. (ideas from a previous post srry if some is a copy but no one has said anything about making your own regulator)

i used to be into paintball so i have a gun and 12 oz tank. on my gun and most guns that have a gas chamber add on will have this and if you dont have one you could find it locally at a paintball store or cheap online im betting: -probably 10$

thats what you screw your co2 tank into then it goes into i think a 1/8 threading.

then you use a regulator from: http://www.valvestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=86035 -17$

optionally you could put some cheap gauges onto it http://www.valvestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=31333 -10$

then if you wanted you could put a solinoid onto it from http://www.valvestore.com/products.asp?dept=1266 i would probalbly get one of the 1/16 Orifice Size valves like http://www.valvestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=43020 -33$

then finish it off with one of rex's needle valves CO2 Stuff For Sale -14$

~20 for 20oz tank at local paintball out doors place
~10 for tank adapter to 1/8
~17 for regulator
~10 for gauge
~33 for solenoid
~14 for needle valve

~104$ for complete set
~70$ if you have a tank and adapter

~3$ to refill a 20oz co2 paintball tank (unlike popular belief the refillable paintball tanks dont have oils in them, they refill the small paintball tanks with the 100lb co2 tanks) and if you live by a dicks sporting goods they have a paintball card that if you buy 3 co2 refils you get 1 free

to me this probably is the best way to go for like small nano to like 15gal tanks its around like 1/3 the price if you go the 5lb route and buy the tank for ~75$ and regulator and solinoid for ~125$ (200$ total) and spend ~12$ for refills on the 5lb'r
Snazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 03:52 AM   #2
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Hm, good post. Man, I just got a 15# last week, too!

Oh well, hope someone saves money on this if they're running a small tank.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
dbltrubl98
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

At risk of sounding stupid, How do the regulator and solinoid work? do you need to plug the solinoid into anything to get it to work? and how do you control flow rate?
dbltrubl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Coil Rating: 24 VDC, 6.9 watts, class F continuous duty service
Coil Termination: 18" lead wires
^ that's for the solenoid, so yes, you'll have to plug the solenoid in to make it work.

The solenoid controls the on/off function of the CO2 flow, and Rex's needle valve will provide finer control of the flow rate into the tank.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is there any issues with the output pressure of your co2 tank exceeding the imput limit on that regulator - or is that addressed with the tank adaptor? I am being forgetful, but thought co2 tanks maintained a fairly constant 900psi, and if I am not misreading, the valve has a max imput pressure of 250psi (but I could be easily mistaken).
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Snazzy
Algae Grower

well this took a while to find out but you are right. it looks like the output psi is probbably is around 600-800. does anyne know if home depot sells air gauges up to 1k psi? if so i could go out to test the psi on my 12oz and 9oz. i just had them refilled so they would be at max psi
Old 10-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
Snazzy
Algae Grower

you will have to also put in In-Line Regulator to reduce the pressure from the tank down to 200psi its from PMI Pure Energy In-Line Regulator - Black at ActionVillage.com : Paintball ~30$ its called PMI Pure Energy In-Line Regulator then that would just screw into the bottom line (the adapter that i said was 10$) its 12 for the adapter at AVI 2 Hole With Screws Bottomline Adapter at ActionVillage.com : Paintball then that would screw into the mini regulator to a fine psi probabaly ~5psi?

it just jumps the price from 70 to ~100 for the equipment if you have a tank and bottom line and it jumps it to 130$ if you dont have a bottom line and co2 tank

i also have another idea-->

mabe using a paintball remote set ~20$ to ajust the pressure but im not sure its that reliable.

or use a co2 tank that has a on/off valve in it(smart valve) whitch you could probably get it down to 200psi ~15$
like the smart valve idea you could go eBay: NEW 3A Paintball Flame Drop Forward w. On/Off Valve -NR (item 130036558872 end time Oct-19-06 19:10:52 PDT) thats the bottom line adapter and a valve on it
it looks like the valve is just a simple ball valve or screw valve so you could get the pressure down i think
Old 10-17-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
Snazzy
Algae Grower

scratch the smart valve idea above it wont work, it works in a compleatly diferent way as the regulator. best bet is to find a mini regulator that will work with about 1000psig imput pressure, i did put a gauge at the end of my tank and it went way over 200psi which was the max on the gauge. im going to keep looking for a regulator that will work
Old 10-17-2006, 02:28 AM   #9
Snazzy
Algae Grower

i have found a regulator that will work that would replace the one listed above thats only rated at 250psig. the new one i found is rated at 3,600psig its the P5 model on this page Cashco Pressure Reducing Regulators

looks like:

theres only one big problem i have no idea how much this little guy is so...anyway...it looks like you'll have to go threw some distributer mabe some one wants to call 1? i emailed the sales at cashco mabe they will gove some answers
Old 10-17-2006, 03:31 AM   #10
jasonh
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jasonh

You know, I kept thinking about using the bottomline stuff from a paintball gun to get this stuff to work. The main question really is how to regulate it though. I know regulators from a pb gun can work, but they're expensive, and would also require expensive custom stuff to make them work...

I would love to find a super cheap way to use pb cylinders for the aquarium.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #11
joemomma
Algae Grower

Anybody been down to their local welding shop? I know that the local guys here helped us get a setup so we could refill our own paintball tanks back when we used to play. We got an 80# cylinder from the Coke guy (or from them even, rent for like $5/month). They helped us make an adapter to refill our tanks from welding parts, with on/off and all the required fittings. I'm sure with their knowledge they could come up with something cheap and effective to maintain a low pressure/output that could be used for a CO2 setup for an aquarium.
Best I remeber the output on the small paintball tanks is very high going into the guns. The guns would have different valves/regulators built into them to change the pressure to a "working" one for the guns....some were high while others were low. The more expensive guns (like Shockers, Impulse,etc) were low pressure operation (around 180psi) while the less expensive ones were higher.
joemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
dbltrubl98
Algae Grower

The low pressure markers are also not designed to work with co2 as the cold would freeze the o-rings inside and you would have all sorts of issues
Old 10-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #13
joemomma
Algae Grower

Not necessarily true....although they worked better on compressed air or nitro, they can work well with plain old CO2. Lots of us used to run CO2 on our Shockers and Impulses, and a couple Automags. The key was to keep it clean and lubed.
joemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #14
dbltrubl98
Algae Grower

hmm any new leads on this thread?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:13 PM   #15
Snazzy
Algae Grower

im still waiting to hear back from the place that sells the regulator