How do I get rid of this algae?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
greenaqua
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How do I get rid of this algae?

Any idea what type of alage is this? It started out in one plant and now propagating to others? Its also attaches itself to rocks and grows like a moss. Its gray in color.
I have 3 Otos but I guess its too much for them.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	algae.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	163809  

greenaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

looks like black hair algae. i get it when i have to high of light and not enough co2. im not sure if that is the general consensus on where it comes form or not but that is my experience.

not many fish eat the stuff ottos included. Siamese algae eaters or amano shrimp will munch on it. you can spray or dip the plants in seachem excel to help kill it.

for more help you will have to list your lighting, co2 and fertilizer regiment.
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
niko
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)

BBA.

Two things you must do to make it disappear:

1. Make sure your tank is clean. Looks clean to you? The algae still grows? Then it is not clean. Vacuum well, change 10% of the water every other day. Rinse the biomedia in tank water once a week. Make sure you have enough biomedia (10% of the tank volume is good, everyting else is getting by). Make sure you have good mechanical filtration (best approach is to be separate from the biofiltration so it's easily cleaned).

2. Make the plants grow well. How to do that is a question of opinion. Bottom line is - if the plants take off AND the tank is clean the BBA will disappear, guaranteed.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

you need to keep a stable CO2, once CO2 become stable it will fade away, but it does require excel dosing if you want to kill it rather quickly.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (235/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
BBA.

Yup! Nasty BBA. Low CO2 is one of the cause.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

is there a diff between black hair and black beard? just wondering if i called something completely different? thanks
15g 2 GBR
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #7
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)

Are those corkscrew vals ? if so DONT excel treat those plants directly, you'll have pink algae and melted vals
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
Are those corkscrew vals ? if so DONT excel treat those plants directly, you'll have pink algae and melted vals
o i think i do remember hearing excel can melt vals. it should be fine on the other plants though. can you dip vals in a hydrogen peroxide dip?
15g 2 GBR
Old 06-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #9
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankruptjojo View Post
o i think i do remember hearing excel can melt vals. it should be fine on the other plants though. can you dip vals in a hydrogen peroxide dip?
Everything I've tried with Vals has ended in death for the poor little experiment plant the only thing I haven't tried is algae fix. Now I don't really have issues with algae on it until it reaches the top and after a few days being under direct light can cause some issues but I usually just trim when it gets there and not worry about the dreaded BBA....

I only get it on occasion now my outflow which is easily removed by tugging it off...
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
greenaqua
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Those are Echinodorus Vesuvius... I am not pro so I am not sure they are also considered vals?

right now I have lights on for 7 hrs... maybe i'll reduce that. I also have CO2 during light hrs (1.5bps). Probably will increase that.

I used to do EI but stopped after having this for the last month and I did massive trimming but this still has no signs of stopping.
greenaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

If your co2 is only on during light hours, that could be your cause. Unstable co2 can cause all kinds of algae issues. I would suggest leaving the co2 on all the time, and if you are afraid of gassing your fish, reduce to 1bps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post
If your co2 is only on during light hours, that could be your cause. Unstable co2 can cause all kinds of algae issues.
I've often wondered about this myself. The commonly accepted practice is to kill the CO2 at night for a couple of reasons:

1) Plants can't use it, so it's a waste
2) Since it's not being used, you could potentially kill your fish.

However, if the CO2 levels are plummeting throughout the night, then coming back up at lights-on, isn't that the classic definition of unstable CO2?
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Fish produce co2.
Plants produce co2 when the lights are out.
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

i got BBA on my petrified wood, of all things. took an arm and hammer magic eraser to it, and even after scrubbing HARD tufts of the stuff still held on. stubborn stuff! trying to erase it off a leaf would result in scraping all the chlorophyll off before the BBA would ever come off.

which reminds me, i have to go home and scrape maybe 4 more tufts off, and then my tank will be BBA-free. when i caught it trying to go to a ludwigia leaf, no mercy - i snipped the leaf and tossed it. not worth trying to save for me, it spreads super quick if it lands on something like a plant. it also landed on my plastic pagoda of all things, but like on the petrified wood, it stayed in small tuft form and didn't spread much.

but that pic of the val above? i'd just toss it and snip anything else that looks like BBA has started on it. ruthless.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
niko
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)

Jahn,

I've used a wire brush and a Dremel and still could not get rid of the BBA on wood...

Green,

Setup a clean tank, run it clean for months. Introduce more fish, more food. Do not change the filter. Do not change the maintenance. The tank will get dirty.
-----------------------------------------------------------
BBA will show up

Stabilize CO2, don't clean the tank, plants growing
Stabilize CO2, don't clean the tank, plants not growing
Fluctuate CO2, don't clean the tank, plants not growing
Fluctuate CO2, don't clean the tank, plants growing
Turn off CO2, don't clean the tank, plants not growing
------------------------------------------------------------
BBA will stay (may slow down in second case but still stay)

Stabilize CO2, clean the tank, plants not growing
Stabilize CO2, clean the tank, plants growing
Fluctuate CO2, clean the tank, plants not growing
Fluctuate CO2, clean the tank, plants growing
Stabilize CO2, clean the tank, plants not growing
Turn off CO2, clean the tank, (plants' growth slows down)
-------------------------------------------------------------
BBA will go away.

Clean tank AND plants growing well:
------------------------------------
You can play with all kinds of parameters but it will all boil down to what I said already - clean tank AND plants growing well.

Just cleaning the tank:
------------------------
BBA can be stopped without making the plants grow well. Just clean the tank. But if the plants take off you can see a difference both in the overall health of the tank (fish seem happier, water looks clearer) and the speed with which the BBA disappears. In such a tank you can literally introduce BBA and it will fall apart (at times within 2-4 hours!).

How to clean the tank:
------------------
If you make frequent water changes (10% every other day) the tank will clear up in a few weeks. You an also do 50% every week but that is more disruptive than frequent small water changes.

A huge factor in cleaning the tank is not overstocking it. The usual trend is to have way too many fish. That is usually accompanied with excessive light, CO2, ferts. Filtration is usually superficially discussed. The tank becomes high speed and fun to watch - always something happening in there. It is also always at a very high risk of developing algae.

If you manage to get rid of BBA through water changes and adding fertilzers to the water it is YOU that maintains that tank running well. Sooner or later you will drop the ball. You need to find a way to make the tank work for itself. That means one thing - improved processing. It includes good mechanical filtration, large biological filtration, good water flow, proper water flow pattern involving the water from the entire tank in a gentle circular motion, light fish load, reduced CO2 at night, good surface movement. Sounds like too much? Then figure out what is most convenient for you to keep the tank clean and make the plants grow.

Good luck.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote