tropic isle - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 AM   #16
davercomeau
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have decided not to return to Tropical Isle after 4 trips of poor customer service (unavailability of employees, rude gestures, short answers, unpleasant check-out person) coupled with high prices. It's too bad because they have many types of fish and have a decent selection of plants. If it were a closer drive, it takes me 45 minutes to an hour, I might be able to look past the rudeness, but I'll go to Uncle Ned's, Skiptons and Lovely Pets instead.

Last edited by davercomeau; 03-09-2008 at 01:16 AM..
davercomeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #17
charl58

What a relief! I thought it was just me! I have been going to Tropic Isle for the past 5 years now but the last time was the last time! As others have mentioned this is based solely on poor customer service. Its really too bad because their selection is great. I have had good experiences with two employees but on the whole they are unfriendly to the point of being rude especially at checkout - No greeting - No Thank you - Nothing. I will be going to Uncle Neds in Millis. Their prices may be slightly higher but they have some very unusual fish and are super friendly and helpful.
charl58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 AM   #18
iceterran
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
I am baffled by the lack of employees. There is always one poor dude running around like a mad man with 3 to 6 customers following him opening to be the first to say "I need some fish."
STORY OF MY LIFE. This place is very overpriced, and often understaffed. Most of the employees are terrible, and plant selection sucks. Although I Do refill my c02 there, they do a tank swap for like $22. I was there a few days ago and I actually talked to one of the employees for 40 minutes about my discus. Obviously the place was dead when I was there. I shop here for certain things because its better than petco, and easier to get to than Skiptons. But obviously Skiptons> tropic isle.
iceterran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #19
jasa73
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

I will say that their customer service is at best mixed. I was there the other day and I would say the employees outnumbered me 8 to 1 and not one of them asked me if i needed help. There's also a really unhappy looking lady who works there who i suspect is one of the owners and i always feel like i'm imposing on her when i walk into the store. With that said one of the employees, i think he's mexican, is very nice and knowledgable.

I've had very nice service from Lovely Pet in Quincy. The owner is very freindly. To be honest i expect local places to be expensive because they do have to make a living. If I want to save on costs i tend to shop the internet anyway.
jasa73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #20
AF888
Algae Grower

I visited last week with my husband and two kids, my one and only visit I think. We were being helped by a young guy who seemed fairly knowledgeable about planted tanks, and my kids (8 & 10) were standing next to me pressing the buttons on the soda machine hoping to "win." They were being gentle, just like buying, when not-so-friendly woman YELLED at them. They employee seemed as uncomfortable as we did, and we left without spending a dime.

Obviously since I'm in RI, it is a bit of a haul to that area, but if I were visiting the tattoo shop on the corner I wouldn't bother to go back! High prices are one thing, but bad staffing is something else entirely.
AF888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #21
davercomeau
Algae Grower

I am glad that we are in agreement. The lady with the short blond hair might be one of the most unpleasant and unhappy persons I have interacted with in a customer service situation. She is the reason why I won't go there. The guys seem busy and are in rush to help or service, but at least they are busy and not just rude. She is awful and I will not spend a penny there until she is gone.
davercomeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #22
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davercomeau View Post
She is awful and I will not spend a penny there until she is gone.
She's not going anywhere, she and her husband own the place!
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:02 AM   #23
peter_l
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I agree with all of the negative comments posted above. I will not buy anything from Tropical Isle.

I usually go to Uncle Ned's for livestock.
peter_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #24
jazzlvr123
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)

ive never been but i hear the same review everyone it saying he from my local hobbyist friends skipton pet center is the place to go the plant selection it good And the people working there are wicked nice
jazzlvr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #25
invert1
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlvr123 View Post
ive never been but i hear the same review everyone it saying he from my local hobbyist friends skipton pet center is the place to go the plant selection it good And the people working there are wicked nice
Can't speak to Tropic Isle since I've never been (was reading this thread to see if I should go) but I wanted to chime in on this. Skipton is awesome! Their staff are great, Rich works there and he was President of BAS till last meeting, and Arik (sp?) is the new President of BAS and is a mgr there.

They know a ton of stuff and I've gotten all of my fish, plants etc. there that I haven't gotten at the BAS meetings. They will direct you when you shouldn't buy stuff (e.g. every time I go in they say "we have kuhlis, don't buy them - kuhlis are sensitive and we've had deaths so we're being cautious"). The whole staff is great, super helpful even if they're busy too.

And they're just nice people - I went in today and spent about an hour just talking about the CRS's I got there last week and just getting info. They're always helpful and happy to talk.

The only bad thing is that stuff can be expensive, but even then I can say that it's cheaper than other places I've been to around Boston (so really only expensive on some stuff and only in comparison to out-of-town) and their rent I'm sure is pretty darn high. Definitely go to Skipton!
invert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #26
Bo_

Send a message via AIM to Bo_

Like everyone has said Tropic Isle has bad service and the older lady is the most unpleasant person ever. I had 2 angels from Tropic Isle just up and die on me 1 day apart, i had 2 angels from my LFS(the Fish Nook) didnt die. I will never shop there again
Bo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #27
Neya
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I agree about the older lady. Mostly. She's pleasant sometimes... But no usually.
The older gentleman (big guy) seems to walk away from me whenever I have a question.

And most of the staff runs when I'm trying to purchase something.

However one staff member is pretty awesome. He was personable, took his time talking while grabbing us freshwater shrimp and live rock(he cherry picked us some nice pieces!)

supplies, tanks, and gravel etc is super expensive. As well as some of their livestock.
Email customer service is lacking completely. In the form of not answering at all.

I totally loooove uncle neds though. That's my kind of fish store (staff who have a beer chit chatting about fish. Haha!)
Neya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #28
Rubiconrider
Algae Grower

Default just printed and faxed the two pages of this post to

Tropic Isle...I don't think it will make a difference but who knows.
Eheim Pimp Club; 60 gal tall w\ a bunch of plants and lots of fish...10 neon tetras, 4 Yo Yo loaches, 5 Oto cats, 2 Kribs, Gold nugget Pleco, Zebra pleco, common pleco, 260 watts of compact flourescents, Magnum 350, Eheim 2028, Flourite and EcoComplete substrate...
Rubiconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #29
peter_l
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconrider View Post
Tropic Isle...I don't think it will make a difference but who knows.
Good luck!

Against my better judgment, I stopped in on Saturday with my son. Granted, it was a busy Sat., but the visit only served to reinforce the opinions voiced in this thread.
peter_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 AM   #30
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Man, this thread almost makes me want to go check this place out to see if the people working there really are as terrible as you guys make them sound! haha
g33tar is offline   Reply With Quote