Fluval Spec - baby's first planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Fluval Spec - baby's first planted tank

Hey guys! I've been lurking around the forum for a while, and I finally decided it was about time that I introduced myself and my tank.

Like most people, I kept betta bowls as a child, but it's easily been 10 years since my last one. When I first found out about proper planted tanks I fell in love, and this past spring I decided to take the plunge.

This tank is actually a holding tank for my betta while I set up his permanent home, a 12g long. It'll likely become a shrimp tank later this year.

Tank: Fluval Spec (2g)
Lighting: 13w CFL
Substrate: Aquasoil Amazonia
Hardscape: Local granite
Flora: Alternanthera Reineckii (or Ludwigia Red, I'm not sure), marimo moss, riccia
Fauna: 1 Betta, 1 oto

Here's a shot from right after the tank was set up on 4/22/13:

I had gotten the stems from Petco in one of those little baggies with the gel, so they looked pretty rough. But some good light and ferts perked them right up

5/23 Marimo added

6/23 Riccia added

My little oto has taken care of most of the algae I was getting, except for some that's been growing on my rocks. It's the super hard kind, cause I can't get it off with a toothbrush either. Is there any special trick to get this stuff off other than to one-two punch the whole tank?

The riccia has also been a special pain in my butt. I figured that since it was such a small tank and I wasn't using co2, it'd be pretty easy to manage. The trimming doesn't bother me, but the MESS. When I finished my arms looked like I'd rolled around in grass clippings. I'm considering replacing it at this point because it just can't seem to keep its hands to itself.

I'm also not totally sure what my stems are. The bag said that they were scarlet temple, but to me they look more like red ludwigia? I figured someone on here would know, cause I am totally stumped.
Sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

WHOOPS I almost totally forgot to post a pic of the little guy who's the whole reason this tank exists! He just flew in from the breeder yesterday, so his fins are all chewed up, but I think you guys will get the idea His name is Glaurung!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Awesome looking Spec & Betta!Very nice growth for 2 months time as well, Grats on that!
I'm pretty new to this planted tank thingy myself so I'm afraid I'm not much help on the plant ID, but if I had to guess I'd guess as you did.

Lol, Riccia... I had a similar battle with it. Then it wasn't even staying matted. So I took it all off the mat and have it floating in a spare tank for now. I may attach it to rocks down the road, but I don't have the supplies at hand. So for now.. just letting it grow.

Love the marimo moss balls on the rocks. What'd you do to get them to stay there? Looks great, it's making me wanna do that to mine.
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
Awesome looking Spec & Betta!Very nice growth for 2 months time as well, Grats on that!
I'm pretty new to this planted tank thingy myself so I'm afraid I'm not much help on the plant ID, but if I had to guess I'd guess as you did.

Lol, Riccia... I had a similar battle with it. Then it wasn't even staying matted. So I took it all off the mat and have it floating in a spare tank for now. I may attach it to rocks down the road, but I don't have the supplies at hand. So for now.. just letting it grow.

Love the marimo moss balls on the rocks. What'd you do to get them to stay there? Looks great, it's making me wanna do that to mine.
Thanks a lot! I attached the marimo with cyanoacrylate glue like you would with actual moss. But you gotta be extra careful with how you place it, cause marimo grow super duper slow and won't cover up any white spots of exposed glue. It took a lot of thinking it was done, putting it in the water, finding another white spot, and pulling the rocks out to cover it. They probably went in and out of the tank 10 times before I was done, lol.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice job on the tank!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

Man, I'd read that riccia grows crazy fast but this is more intense than I was expecting. It's not even been a week since the last trim and it's already ready for another. I hope that in time I'll learn how to properly tame this beast!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
Padraig Pearse
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I like that color contrast. Good job!
Padraig Pearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #8
usmonkey

Nice! Love the color of the Alternanthera Reineckii.

May I know how did you secure your Riccia to the substrate?
usmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Awesome tank! I had no idea that the Alternanthera Reineckii in those little gel packages would grow up to look like that! I must get some for my Fluval Edge!

Beautiful betta too.
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig Pearse View Post
I like that color contrast. Good job!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmonkey View Post
Nice! Love the color of the Alternanthera Reineckii.

May I know how did you secure your Riccia to the substrate?
I just tied it to some pieces of slate. But I am trying a small amount glued to an extra rock just to see how that will work. I'm hoping that'll work, cause tying it was a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptoon'd View Post
Awesome tank! I had no idea that the Alternanthera Reineckii in those little gel packages would grow up to look like that! I must get some for my Fluval Edge!

Beautiful betta too.
Thanks a lot! The A. Reineckii was actually pretty rough looking for the first week or so. I'd made the noob mistake of thinking that the aquasoil had enough nutrients in it without dosing anything into the water column. It was growing, but leaves were turning black:

That was also back when I was using just the stock light. Switching to a 6500k CFL and adding excel really worked wonders!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Yervor
Algae Grower

Hi, is this tank still up and running? Looks fantastic so far.

Are you using the Fluval Mini CFL? What are you dosing? I'd like to order one for my Spec but I'm afraid the algae will go crazy. Any CO2? Thanks!

(Also, I think I've fallen in love with that stem plant. Amazing.)
Yervor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval spec, nano