Island Paradise (ADA 60P)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Fuzz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Island Paradise (ADA 60P)

Hey guys, I've had my ADA 60-P tank from a previous setup for a long while but it's been empty since I had to move recently. I've been slowly working on it piece by piece over a few months and finally just got it fully set up. Thanks for looking and I hope you like it!

Here is a picture of it in it's current state (6/24/13):

This is the general idea of my layout but some stuff will change as I decide what I want in the end. The rocks were mostly just thrown in at random so those are going to be restyled soon since I've just been focusing on the rest of it for now. Also there will be moss filling in on the driftwood and rocks. Overall I'm really satisfied with how it's turning out so far and I'm excited to see it all grow in.

It was a long process to get it to this stage and I have a few pictures to document it.

The first step was to redo my cabinet. It's a DIY build and originally it had a sloppy paint job that was peeling and ugly so I decided to sand the whole thing and repaint it.

Before the paint job, including my equipment:

After the new coat of paint, empty. I really like how the light green color on the inside goes with the black outside paint.

Inside with my filter and pump set up. The filter is custom made from an aluminum storage container (time capsule kind of thing).

All equipment:

I redid the outside too with a flat black where before it had kind of a glossy textured black. The flash from the camera makes the paint look a little weird but it's not noticeable in normal lighting so that's good!

Ready to go!

Close up of lily pipes. I really wanted to make my own from acrylic tubing to save some money but they all turned out really sloppy, it's harder than it looks . In the end I decided to just shell out the money to get good quality and I'm more than satisfied with that.

Brainstorming for layout ideas for the driftwood:

Getting started! These pieces of driftwood were hard to work with and I didn't want them moving around so I cut them and screwed them onto a piece of acrylic to hold them in place.

Substrate work. I made a mineralized topsoil underlay for the plants to grow in, keeping it fairly centralized since the plants are gonna be growing there anyway. I bought some nature sand from ADA but it wasn't enough to fill in so I made a buffer of pool sand between it and the soil.

Topped off:

And then filled in with the rest of the driftwood and plants! I wish I had gotten more pictures in between these two steps but it was a lot of work and a pretty messy procedure so it slipped my mind.

And here's a list of what's (going to be) in it!

Flora:
Blyxa japanica
Nesaea crassicaulis
Bolbitis heudelotii
Anubias barteri 'Nana'
Java fern regular, trident, and windelow
Proserpinaca palustris
Fissidens fontanus on driftwood
Mini pellia on rocks
And a few mystery plants that I might find the name of later

Fauna (ideas right now):
Amano shrimp
Otocinclus catfish
Corydoras catfish
German blue rams
And maybe a school of some small fish that I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for checking it out! I'm excited to see how it turns out in the end and I'll keep updating as it progresses.

Last edited by Fuzz; 07-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Changed title
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice looking rig. Really like the diy stuff.

Have in mind that aluminum can be poisonous to fish. Iīm guessing that container isnīt anodized inside?
Matsnork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Fuzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsnork View Post
Iīm guessing that container isnīt anodized inside?
I actually applied a coat of epoxy on the inside to cover the aluminum. I'm pretty sure I covered it well enough though there may be a few spots I missed but hey, something is better than nothing!

Last edited by Fuzz; 06-22-2013 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: rewording
Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I actually applied a coat of epoxy on the inside to cover the aluminum. I'm pretty sure I covered it well enough though there may be a few spots I missed but hey, something is better than nothing!
Just wanted to spare you a nasty surprise if that wasnt the case

I also like how sturdy everything looks. Big brass connections, plenty thick materials and so on. Nuclear proof.
Matsnork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Great layout of the wood and plants and everything! I can stare at that tank and daydream all day!
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Just beautiful, amazing job on the hardscape. The plant choice is love.... you should just go ahead and hand that tank over now , yeppers Hehe
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
tizzite
Algae Grower

I like the scape, and the cool canister filter. I was doing diy lily pipes recently too, and I was satisfied with the results.

I used a heat gun and a 1/4 OD silicon tubing inside the acrylic pipe. It would have been better to use a silicone tubing slightly larger, say 3/8, but I couldn't find it anywhere and didn't want to order some.

Looking forward to your progress. For the small fish, I like galaxy rasboras.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
BHolmes
Planted Member

That green paint job and canister filter are sweet. The whole scape looks amazing for just setting it up. Great job
Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
chocological
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

This is great! I really like DIY stuff, So I'm probably more interested in your hardware. Do you have any build journals around?
chocological is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Fuzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzite View Post
I like the scape, and the cool canister filter. I was doing diy lily pipes recently too, and I was satisfied with the results.

I used a heat gun and a 1/4 OD silicon tubing inside the acrylic pipe. It would have been better to use a silicone tubing slightly larger, say 3/8, but I couldn't find it anywhere and didn't want to order some.

Looking forward to your progress. For the small fish, I like galaxy rasboras.
Good tips, I tried some tubing inside and also a wire cable that was slightly smaller than the inside diameter but I still got kinks every time. Maybe I was just too impatient and couldn't get it right but oh well, I'll try again sometime.

And those rasboras are really neat, I've always heard them referred to as celestial pearl danios because my roommate has them in his tank. I really like them and that might be a good idea for mine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocological View Post
This is great! I really like DIY stuff, So I'm probably more interested in your hardware. Do you have any build journals around?
Nope sorry, I did the builds a few years ago and I never got pictures because I was at my parents' house using my dad's equipment. Most of it was rushed design with random scraps of pieces that we had around but it's worked out well enough so far. Maybe I could answer some questions though.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Fuzz
Algae Grower

I got all my moss attached and ready to start growing, ended up having quite a lot of it so I put it on almost all of the wood. I think it will look pretty good when it grows in! I'm probably gonna get the moss for the rocks soon and start getting that going.

I also did some rearranging of the rocks that I like better than before but I may change them around again, I got a huge bag of them so I want to find the ones I like best.

Here are some more pictures of different angles.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Really digging the scape!

And I saw your title and was a little upset when there was no mention of smoothies lol
Island oasis smoothies are AMAAZINNG
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Love your tank man. Saw it on reddit earlier in the week you did a fantastic job!
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Fuzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
Really digging the scape!

And I saw your title and was a little upset when there was no mention of smoothies lol
Island oasis smoothies are AMAAZINNG
Oh oops haha I've never even heard of that, those must not be in my area. Sorry for getting your hopes up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by difrent7 View Post
Love your tank man. Saw it on reddit earlier in the week you did a fantastic job!
Thanks! Nice to see a fellow redditor on here I was really pleased with how it turned out since I'm still not very experienced with scaping and felt like showing it off I just hope I can maintain it well enough to keep it looking okay later on when I have fish in it.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Fuzz
Algae Grower

So far everything is still looking pretty good, but there's really not enough change to post pictures. The moss seems like it'll start filling in soon and the stem plants in the back are starting to perk up so it will be cool to see those filling in on either side of the bolbitis.

Was doing dry dosing for fertilizers with just measuring spoons but I wanted to get more exact so I made two 500 mL solutions for EI dosing macros (N-P-K) and micros (Plantex). Feel more comfortable with that knowing I can just add in the exact amount.

Also added ammonia to start my fishless cycle.

Just finished up the daily water changes for a week and then slowed down to every other day and now I'm starting my weekly changes hoping everything goes well like that. Adding back in the ammonia when I change water.

Getting ideas for the fauna, my roommate showed me these little buggers that I think I'm in love with:
Pseudomugil furcatus “fork-tailed rainbow”
He also said they flare their fins sometimes which I always like to see I really love their color scheme so I think I'm gonna do those as my main school along with the amano shrimp and oto cats. I'm still hesitant about the German Blue Rams because I hear they can be aggressive. Anyone that can give some input on that?

Tags
60-p, ada, aquascape, diy, driftwood