CO2 unit...water change question.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-18-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
KellyQ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

HI! I have a Hagen CO2 unit in my tank and need to do a water change. What do I do with it during the water change? I need to make a 50% change and then an 80% change in another day or so. (I am doing water changes because my tank is cycled, wooo hoooo, finally and I need to get rid of the high nitrates)

I couldn't find any information in the instructions that came with it on what to do during a water change. I didn't know if it was okay to just leave the diffuser hanging on the side and just change water like normal or if I needed to take it out or????

Thanks for any help!
Kelly
KellyQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
Pete
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Pete

Hello Kellyq i have same co2 unit in my tank, i just do water changes as per normal. Ive never removed it yet, and its been installed for about 5 months now. I don't think u need to remove it. But i could b wrong somebody else might no more about this than me.
Pete...
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2003, 10:19 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

How are the plants doing? Rather than an 80% water change I would do 25% changes a couple of days in a row... if you have the time and pacience Don't worry about the diffuser, you can leave it where it is, just make sure you unplug the heater when the water level goes down.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2003, 10:51 PM   #4
KellyQ
Algae Grower

Thanks! I"ll just leave it where it is then.

The plants are hanging in there. I had ordered from ebay, a really nice seller with really nice plants, but they took longer to get here then they should have and were looking pretty rough. The amazon sword might not make it...its leaves are really thin and see through and it is droopy. The Lloydelia Green looks pretty good though after I trimmed off some dead stuff. My java moss is looking pretty nice too. I had to throw away two of the other types of plants I got, they were dead. The seller is sending me a new batch though, they should be here tomorrow. yay! I am really enjoying the live plants!

My next step is stronger lights...I am a bit confused by that though. I have the hood that came with the 29 gallon tank and replaced the bulb with a 'plant bulb' but it is still only 20 watts. Can I get a higher watt bulb that will fit in that single 24" spot I have in the hood? I don't understand all the lights yet...still researching.

Thanks so much for the help and soon come the FISH!

29 gallon planted tank...German Blue Rams, Dwarf Flame Gourami's, Rummynose tetras, Julii Cory's, Fancy Guppies, snail and amano shrimp.
KellyQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2003, 11:06 PM   #5
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Kelly,
a 24" fluorscent is always gonna ge 20watts. The only way to increase it is to change out the hood ballast to an electronic one, and overdrive the bulb to around 30-35watts..which still isn't squat.
I have a 29, and I had to spend about $100 to equip it with 110watts of power compact fluorescent bulbs.

You currently have under 1 watt per gallon, so your Hagen CO2 unit is kinda pointless...the plants arent' growing fast enough to really require extra CO2. once you hit 2watts per gallon, CO2 is a good idea, and after 2.5watts its mandatory, unless you like stringy plants covered in algae

YOu should be able to pickup a Coralife 30inch power compact fixture for under $100 online, which should have at least 1 65watt bulb in it. Try www.hellolights.com for that. Otherwise hit www.ahsupply.com and get a retrofit kit, and you can convert your current light to power compact for about $40
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.