20L rise and fall and rebirth - My journal. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #31
fresh_lynny
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

Looks like L glandulosa~

Eheim Chickie #203 Filstar Pimpette # 56
not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
http://www.paparazzi-weim.com
fresh_lynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #32
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

There are two reds in the tank. The reineckii 'rosaefolia' Is the really bright fuscha stuff. And the more true red/blood red now on the far right but the not most right. is what I also belive to be ludwigia glandulosa as F-N suggests.
Blacksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #33
fish_lover0591
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591

any updates ?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #34
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

Yeah there are some updated. I've run into an issue with the glandiosa. It grows like wild. and once it hit the air out of the water it sheds all its lower leaves. So all those beautifull blood red stems fell apart. The rosefollia also a tall grower has outgrown the height of this tank. And I'm currently over growing with Zosterfolia. So in the next week or maybe this weekend I will be pulling all of that. I am replacing these stems with smaller reds and oranges.
LUDWIG INCLINATA
and
ROTALA ROTUND

So here are the last pics of this tank that I will be posting until I get my new plants. These pics are from 01/15/07 the tank has has similar amount of growth since and I've done a couple trimmings.
Before trimming

What I got from it

And after.

The tank is pretty much back into the pretrim look.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #35
blueguppygirl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl

Very nice looking tank! (and the glass piece isn't bad either,lol)

Support Wilma ...
www.wilmasthecause.org

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
blueguppygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #36
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

Grrr.. I got my new plants that I had been waiting on. And the dude sent me the wrong stuff!! ARGH!!! I thought I had some rare ludwigia on its way and I wound up getting some freaking bolbits. Not to mention they were starting to melt because the dude shipped them on the friday before the holliday.

So... no more update for now. Aside from that I ripped out most of the H. zosterfolia because I got tired of having to clip it all the time to keep it from blocking the light to everything else.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #37
fresh_lynny
Planted Tank Guru

I'll take your Bolbitis...
It doesn't really melt. Keep the rhizome. You have to trim the leaves off when you get a new Bobitis plant anyway.....
I can send you some Ludwigia

not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #38
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
I'll take your Bolbitis...
It doesn't really melt. Keep the rhizome. You have to trim the leaves off when you get a new Bobitis plant anyway.....
I can send you some Ludwigia
I'm not totally sure if it's bolbits or not was just a short guess. But it is browning from the stem up. I wouldn't wanna even try sending it as it wouldn't be worth the effort. Let me see if I can get the stuff to bounce back first.
the Ludwigia I was getting was LUDWIG INCLINATA, If you have some of that then yeah we can work something out.
the seller that sent me all this junk wound up refunding both my orders (one that haden't even shipped yet) so I'm out some CRYPT BALANSAE, the ludwig, and 3 glass diffusers. What really annoyed me is the dude shipps in a first class envelope. Yes ships plants in an envelope. Its a bubble pack. but none the less all these plants were flattened when I received them.

Duhh I'm dumb. I didn't mean bolbits I ment bacopia. But actually looking at what he actully sells I'm pretty sure its actually Lobelia cardinalis. either way its not teh amzing red stuff I ordered.
What I ordered.

What I received
Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #39
fresh_lynny
Planted Tank Guru

Yep that is Lobelia cardinalis for sure.
I have some C balansae and I have the inclinata as well, but the var cuba, which I find to be more interesting because of the yello and pink combo along with the veining.....I can maybe help out....what did you pay the other dude?

this is a decent representation of the var cuba http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...&spec=Ludwigia

not-so-newby anymore?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 AM   #40
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

It was just a couple bucks. the shipping was free. I guess thats why he skimps so much on the shipping.

humm. they do have quite a different leaf structure. lemme get back to ya.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #41
smole
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

thanks black sunshine very pretty 20 gallon. What do you use for your pressurized co2 setup: regulator, counter,diffusion?
smole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #42
chrisoneal
Algae Grower

is that pike aggresive tords other fish like mollys neon tetras, and guppies. I want to get one now seeing urs.
chrisoneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #43
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smole View Post
thanks black sunshine very pretty 20 gallon. What do you use for your pressurized co2 setup: regulator, counter,diffusion?
I use a JBJ/azoo/milwaukee regulator with bubble counter built in. it has a needle valve to regulate. diffusion I have going to a glass nano diffuser (to keep the dispursion radius small) and then have the intakes from my two mini cannisters taking up and dispensing the CO2 rich water to the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisoneal View Post
is that pike aggresive tords other fish like mollys neon tetras, and guppies. I want to get one now seeing urs.
Well sadly durring the great Seattle black out of 06. My tank dropped to 50some degrees. The pike was not able to take this cold and wound up dieing.
Previous to this he was not aggressive towards any of his tank mates. altho I found that keeping ghost shrimp was a futile practice. (still is tho amanos do fine.) I'm sure if he ever got to a decent size he would probably gobble up whoever he can. but that specific pike has a very small beak like mouth and dosen't seem too aggressive. he was also a dwarf so would not get to large size anyhow.
If given the chance I would totally get another one. Awesome personality. and fun to watch feeding. I would feed him tiny chopped up raw shrimp.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #44
silver7621
Algae Grower

nice looking tank any new updates
silver7621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #45
Blacksunshine
Wannabe Guru

I've done some tuning to the scape along with a major japonica trim and the removal of my stargrass.
Heres a shot after the trim/pull and when the new plants in the rear left were added. Its rotala rotun. so hopefuly will all take on a nice yellowish orange
color.

In the front I moved alot of japonica out because it was so dense that the plants were all sitting about an inch off th substrate. Their roots had filled in the substrate so much there was no where for them to go but up.
All the green that is floating in the 75 gallon here is what was pulled from the 20 gal.

I moved the front back and filled it in with hairgrass to get a better lawn.
as you can see one of the crypts sent a runner out about 6 in from the mother plant and now a 3rd crypt bush is starting. The crypts are about due for a thinning.
Since this shot the back has filled in and bushed up some. And a couple fish and shrimp were added. I got ahold of some tiger shrimp.

I will get some more shots once the tank turns on and after my baby wakes up. the tank is in his room.

After I trimed and was shipping off some of the japonica I came across a interesting discovery. I had never heard it mentioned so was shocked to see. that a couple of my Japonica had flowered. I was not aware that they even did. I figure it has to be because they were floating and at the surface that encouraged the plant to flower.

Last edited by Blacksunshine; 03-19-2007 at 07:40 PM..