Collecting Stones - One lowers PH - is it safe?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
damoraso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Collecting Stones - One lowers PH - is it safe?

Hi guys, firstable i want to thank this community since i have found a lot of great information to start my new hobby and do it better, i have been reading all the great startup tutorials and whatnot ( i guess this is my introduction )

I started with a non-planted 10 gal tank which served for experiments and now we want to move to a bigger planted thank, but finding all the driftwood and rocks locally (i live in costa rica).

Particularly, one of the initial tests im running to the rocks i have found so far is leaving them under a container with water for two weeks and do PH readings, if the rock leaches calcium into the water is a potential rock that will damage the ecosystem.

That being said, i have this rock that belong to the tradition of the family, it was found by my grand father and is a small "indian filter rock". Its sort of a carbon or something similar with small wholes and a interesting conified shape.

My initial reading two weeks ago was 8.0 ph, the first week lowered to 7.4 and today the last day of the test it read 6.8

So i was under the impression that leaching calcium meant leaching into the water hence increasing the PH, but what about reducing the PH? could this be a good rock for my planted thank?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by damoraso; 06-21-2013 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: fixing title
damoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

When I read the title of the thread I was thinking it might be something with metal that acidifies water which is not a good type of rock but if it is porous then it is just like my SafeTSorb substrate which grabs certain molecules out of water until the pores get filled up. Basically like activated carbon. So I suspect it is just fine. Check the water hardness too, bet the KH is dropping as well.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
damoraso
Algae Grower

great! thanks katthyy!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
ckraft
Algae Grower

If the rock is a tradition, will there be a problem if the rock is damaged by being in the aquarium?
ckraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
damoraso
Algae Grower

thats a good point i did not think about before. Although, it was sort of abandoned in one of the houses, i bet its better to get a quorum and ask, hm?