The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shrimp Rack Build | 20L RCS | 3G DBP TT | 3G DBP Snow White/Golden | 10G CRS

13K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  mjbn 
#1 · (Edited)
So things are starting to fall into place better than ever before:thumbsup: This thread will be following my shrimp rack build which will house my 20L CRS tank, and two 3G long DBP tanks.

For those of you that don't know, I've had a pretty rough history with shrimp. I've tried my hand at cherries, red and blue rilis, yellows, OEBT, BTOE, and TT's in the past and eventually had them die off, even though I did get most of them to berry multiple times. I eventually had die offs. And I got tired of it so I took a little "break" although I never shut down tanks, besides my 10G, which now houses my dwarf hamster:red_mouth

PS: If I may offer a word of advice to new shrimp keepers is not to think as I did. By this I mean don't just rush into it hoping that all will go well. Establish your tanks and during this time, research, research, research. And follow what you research and learn. I knew the basic stuff about shrimp keeping, but I took an "unconventional" route, as in staying with my super hard tap water and not using active substrates with more sensitive shrimp. In the end it cost me a lot of time, money, and effort to keep trying to get it right. I'm still not there, but I am working my way to it.

Since getting back from my couple-months hiatus, I've decided to take another stab at shrimp keeping and start off the right way. First off with RODI water. Started with 8 CRS and everything's fine so far.

As of 6/20, I am officially an Aqua Soil New Amazonia user. When I make more money I will be placing an Amazon order for a 4 layer rack which will house my tanks. The 20L will be on the 2nd level rack from the bottom, two 3G DBP's on the 3rd level rack. Until then, this is how things are set up right now.

Here are my expected plans:

20L CRS:
Substrate:
Turface Pro League

Filter:
Sunsun 302
Hydro #3 (IIRC) sponge filter
Double-head sponge filter
Tetra Air Pump

Lights :
Some cheapo DIY CFL fixture I made, until I can afford a 30" LED

Plants :
Dwarf Sag
X-mass Moss
Notocyphus Lutescens (was given to me as this, not sure though)
Mini Rose Moss (IIRC)
Salvinia Minima
Fissidens

I might need some help IDing the NL and MRM. lol :icon_redf

SHRIMP:
CRS

3G DBP TT:
Substrate:
Aqua Soil New Amazonia

Filter:
Aquaclear 20
Mini-Sponge filter
Tetra Air Pump

Lights :
Beamswork 300(?) LED

Plants :
Still deciding which ones I'll transfer over from the 20L. Most likely fissidens, x-mas moss, salvinia minima, and a couple dwarf sags

SHRIMP:
Tangerine Tigers

3G DBP Golden Tank (Not fully set up):
Substrate:
Aqua Soil New Amazonia

Filter:
Aquaclear 20
Either a Mini-sponge filter
Tetra Air Pump

Lights :
Beamswork 300

Plants :
TBD

SHRIMP:
Golden Shrimp

Please excuse the crappy photos, nothing worth taking "nice" ones just yet.

PS: Special thanks to all those who've helped me get everything together. Sorry for all the continuous questions about advice, etc:p

See less See more
#2 ·
This is going to be a really interesting journal. I know what you mean with rushing into everything - I think we all have done that and paid for it one time or another. Our your tanks going to be conjunction with each other on the same filter or separate?

#4 ·
ahh ok - also taking pictures of the setup is one of the most important parts even if it's nothing to show. That would be like a car Restoration guy saying "na i'll wait till I get the body on the frame". People like me drool from seeing start to finish.

Are you going for breeding mutations?

#5 ·
Thing is I don't have the rack set up yet, so things aren't in their permanent position. I'll be ordering it soon though, so after that I'll post more detailed and extensive pictures!

I don't think I'm going for mutations, possibly though. I do have that second 3G tank that I'm not sure what I'm going do with. lol

#9 ·
Great pics, and like the others... can't wait to see what you do with all this.

I've decided I need a rack *nods* These rack builds are brilliant. I only have 2 tanks up and running atm, but both nano's. A Flora and a Picotope. I'm into the micro fish and shrimp it seems, so ya... def need a rack of my own.

May I ask which you are getting? I was looking at a few on Homedepot.com after asking where another user got theirs from.

One more question. Whats with the SS mesh. Is it special somehow? Maybe I should have used mesh, lol. My moss is just tuucked here and there.

#10 ·
Thank I<3Fish, lol.

For future reference, the rack that I will be getting is this:

As advice from Jake (Somewhatshocked), I will be replacing the particle board that comes with it with plywood from HomeDepot.

Stainless Steel mesh is helpful because it keeps the moss where you want it. And I think it looks cleaner. Contact Han (H4n) if you're interested in some, great guy and seller:) Really though, it's just preference.

#11 · (Edited)
That's about $30 cheaper than the one I was looking at, which was the exact same model. Thanks, def will be ordering from amazon verus homedepot.

Good idea on switching out the wood, I wouldn't have thought of that.
(Thanks Jake :) )

Thanks for the info. I def will be, when I get to where I need some. I've already gotten some plants and shrimp off members here. Oh the money I could have saved if I joined her ages ago, lol. And the qauilty, blows most other places I've ordered from away.

#12 ·
Yeah, or you could order from Home Depot and ask if they have it at your local store through their web chat. When I asked (was told there was no way to get it locally), I was offered $10 off shipping and/or 5% off the order. Still around ~$45 though, might as well order on Amazon. lol Idk if that's normal for them to do though:p

Thank Jake on that one:thumbsup:

Seriously, this forum is a lifesaver. So much information, opportunity, and just awesome people in general. I know that I've been bugging a whole lot of the experienced aquarists and shrimp keepers for advice on my set up:icon_redf

#13 ·
Guys, I need opinions!

Should I switch the CRS to a 3G long and the TT's to the 20G long when I get them? I figured that the pH would probably be lower in the 3G long compared to the 20G long due to having an Amazonia instead of turface. Along with this, the TDS in the 20G long is always 175-200, can't seem to get it lower than that even with RO only. I figure I can get the 3G longs a lower pH, lower TDS, etc. which is better suited for CRS, right?

I'm not sure though, I mean the CRS seem to be enjoying the 20G long rightnow and I'd hate to "upset" them by downgrading their living space, but I think the parameters in there would suite them better.

I don't know. A little confused. Still have time to decide though:p

Also, I ordered the rack today, should be getting it this wednesday! Excited:)

#17 ·
Another late night update:
Got the wood painted. Just have to move the 20L over and get these cords more tidy.

Mini-update pictures:

Just storing my manzy in here at the moment, don't worry. Not a scape. lol

Playing around with panorama.
Before:

After:

I'll be removing the 20L stand and the little desk/table on the right once I get everything switched over to the new rack.

The wood pieces in here are what will be used in the other 3G tank.

#19 ·
The sunsun 302 is running in the 20L only. Been ~2 years since I've got it and the flow is perfect, in my opinion.

Also, I'm gonna try to get an update tonight, I moved everything over to the rack. I didn't give enough room between the 2nd and 3rd shelves, so there's not much space above the 20L (maybe like 6 inches). Gonna have to move the 3G long shelf up one or two slots.

#20 · (Edited)
I really need to get a better camera than my iPhone:frown:

Anyways, mini-update.

Everything in place, I think.

20G Long FTS
Some manzy, trying to think of a scape for it, but ATM just water logging.

3G Long FTS

The X-mas moss I superglued on there is really struggling rightnow. Lots of yellowingD: The floaters are thriving though, had to remove a lot earlier.

Also, could I get help with a moss ID? They look so similar but idk which is what.
Sold to me as NL

Sold to me as MRM (IIRC)

Someone forgot their clothes. lol

Will post the other 3G long once the cloudiness clears up a bit more.

I might get some Snow White/Golden shrimp as well.. Still deciding.

#22 ·
Thanks for the advice Han, I'll try that out once I go lights on later tonight. lol I understand what you mean though.

On another note, came home today from class to the tank at 81F. I asked both of my sisters TWICE to turn the fan on the tank once it started getting hot. Of course they didn't though-_- The CRS seem very "groggy" and "slow" atm, a little worriedD:

#29 ·
Hopefully I get an update in soon, but I just got 10+ TT's from Ohbaby yesterday and 5 more TT's from Nick today, in addition to 6 more CRS from Nick as well.

The second 3G long is still empty as I decide what I want to put in there. I'm really trying to hold back on Taiwans until I'm able to control my temp. betterD:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.