The Planted Tank Forum banner

Advice on RO water.

754 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Diana 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

So straight out of the tap, my ph is 7.8, KH is 6 and my GH is 18. Anyways, I just returned from college and most of my CRS died. I realized that I can't keep anything but Neos with these parameters since I don't like to fiddle with the water too much but how many of you have experience with mixing RO water with your tap?

Let's say I do this and my KH drops to 3 and my GH drops to 10. This is exactly what it was where I went to college. Would I have to add essential minerals or is that only for pure RO water? I'm 99% sure I don't but I thought I'd ask before messing with my water.

Sorry for the stupid question guys. I lost way too many shrimp. I even drip acclimated them for 4 hours and one by one, they died. My RCS seem fine though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S4 using Tapatalk 2

#2 ·
If you make a blend of RO and tap water, then the tap water is supplying the minerals. No need to add more minerals unless you know that there is a specific deficiency.

So go ahead and blend until the GH is right for the livestock you want. Then see if the other parameters are OK, or if you have do do something else.

What water system are you on? Those odd readings sound like something in the South Bay, San Jose or nearby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.