Dry Ferts - What Do I Need?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
Bercey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Dry Ferts - What Do I Need?

Hi guys, sorry for being such a newb regarding this stuff.

But, I've yet another question to ask TPT!

So I've been reading up on dry ferts for the last few hours and have decided that I want to take the plunge; going to be going the EI route, not the PPS one.

Anyhow, I've read what and how I'm supposed to be dosing (as per a number of stickied threads and dosing calculators) - so my question is, what exactly do I really need to buy?

Based on what I've read I would need to be dosing, I guess I just buy something like:
- 1lb Plantex CSM+B
- 1lb KNO3
- 1lb KH2PO4
- 1lb K2SO4???

Is that correct? The Plantex CSM+B would cover the micro nutrients while KNO3 and KH2PO4 would cover the macros?

Basically, I'm just wondering what I'd need to buy to make sure I've got it all covered. Just a pound of each of those (is K2SO4 really needed?) is all I need?

Thank in advance for your help and, again, sorry for being so newby. Just like to make sure I do things correctly the first time around. :P
Bercey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looks like you got things covered.... However I use muriate of potash instead of K2SO4 as my main potassium supplement. But yes you're on the right track with everything, CSM+B is you micro fertilizers, and then Potassium nitrate (KNO3), Mono-Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), and then Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) are your 3 macru fertilizers and make up the N-P-K.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Bercey
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply!

Really appreciate the help.

Now to find a place in Canada to get 'em!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
thinBear
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

with EI, KNO3 and KH2PO4 should cover K

Also depends on your water, some would like to boost up the GH if it is too low, I'm using Barr's GH Booster: CaSO4 + K2SO4 + Elpsom salt
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Bercey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinBear View Post
with EI, KNO3 and KH2PO4 should cover K

Also depends on your water, some would like to boost up the GH if it is too low, I'm using Barr's GH Booster: CaSO4 + K2SO4 + Elpsom salt
I didn't get any of the booster stuff as I'm told the water in the area is pretty hard but, I went ahead and got everything else, including the K2S04. Found a hydroponics shop in my city and they wanted $15-$20 per pound for *each* item - it's the only place in the city that sells this stuff.

Shopped around online and found some for $5/lb. Pretty exciting to start dosing once I get it! =D
Bercey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
thinBear
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

aww... hope it is not too late abt shipping kno3: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=124491
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (229/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
Looks like you got things covered.... However I use muriate of potash instead of K2SO4 as my main potassium supplement. But yes you're on the right track with everything, CSM+B is you micro fertilizers, and then Potassium nitrate (KNO3), Mono-Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), and then Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) are your 3 macru fertilizers and make up the N-P-K.
Anyone know a good reference in making solution for 500ml of NPK and trace?
herns is online now   Reply With Quote