DIY CO2 causes cloudy water
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
NoGo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY CO2 causes cloudy water

Hi,

I started my first yeast/sugar DIY CO2 with this canister holder last night. The tank water looks very cloudy today and it raises my concern of what it might do to the health of the fish. I'm debating if I should unplug it, but before I do, I think I should check with experts here first. Is it something leaking into the water? I let the CO2 run overnight without light and an air pump running 24x7. What have I done wrong with the CO2? Thank you.
NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I run Co2 in mine and have very clear water. Make sure your hoses coming out of the generators aren't getting any bubbles in them! Leave plenty of room to be safe cuz if you were getting liquids into the tank from the generator it can harm your fish very much!

This is just what I've read from others. I'm still a newbie, but figured I'd say something in case no one else did.

Could also be a bacteria bloom? Post pictures please! Always helps the pros as I've learned lol
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
ngrubich
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

It sounds like the yeast mix from the CO2 chamber blew over into your tank.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
genomer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd say the mixture is making its' way into your tank. You may have an unrelated bacterial bloom or the start of greenwater; co2 injection will not make your water cloudy. How old is the tank? Any recent substrate disturbances? High light?

I would remove the output and bubble it in another vessel for a while. Check to see if a slight sediment layer builds over time-if it doesn't, your mixture is not the issue.
genomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
NoGo
Algae Grower

Hi,

Thanks all, I unplugged the CO2 (Turn the valve to the lowest) last night.
Topped up some water and that help clears up somewhat. I turned it back on this morning and I'll update you later. I don't believe this is bacterial bloom and certainly hope not, genomer. The tank has been up for quite a long time, no substrate disturbances whatsoever. The only thing I can think of is the addition of some 20 tiny cherry shrimp, nothing major.

I remember when we setup the CO2 initially, there was no bubble and I saw some smoke (smoke under water? Nah, it doesn't sound right, more like dusting) coming out of the outlet. I immediately removed the ladder all together and this happened very quickly. I didn't pay too much attention to it, now that I'm thinking back, could it be the cause of cloudy water?

I don't get bubbles coming out of the CO2 continuously, is that normal? I use 1/4 tsp yeast and no baking soda. It outputs a batch of bubbles, 2-3 bubbles on each step are moving up the ladder like I see someone else DIY CO2 on youtube, then it will slow down to 1 bubble per ladder moving up slowly, then completely stops, no bubbles, for like 20 seconds. Is the formula not strong enough?

I also noticed the bubble size is not consistent, sometimes you'll see a larger bubble, and bubbles will not get smaller and smaller as they climb up the ladder. Whatever size it outputs, that's the size it will get out of the ladder on top.

Is my formula not good enough? Should I use baking soda/powder?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

do you have a check valve on it, or can DIY not have a check valve due to low pressure? a valve would prevent liquid from blowing into your tank i believe.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
It sounds like the yeast mix from the CO2 chamber blew over into your tank.
THis

and you are not using check valve either most likely.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
NoGo
Algae Grower

Yes, I use check valve, good? or bad? In addition to check valve, I also use the kind of valve you can adjust the flow.

I did a 25% WC over the weekend and the water is pretty clear but not as clear as my other tanks. I don't think it will pose any serious problem atm.

I don't get bubbles coming out of the CO2 continuously, is that normal? It outputs a batch of bubbles, 2-3 bubbles on each step are moving up the ladder like I see someone else DIY CO2 on youtube, then it will slow down to 1 bubble per ladder moving up slowly, then completely stops, no bubbles, for like 20 seconds.
Is this normal?

I also noticed the bubble size is not consistent, sometimes you'll see a larger bubble, and bubbles will not get smaller and smaller as they climb up the ladder. Whatever size it outputs, that's the size it will get out of the ladder on top.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGo View Post
Yes, I use check valve, good? or bad? In addition to check valve, I also use the kind of valve you can adjust the flow.

I did a 25% WC over the weekend and the water is pretty clear but not as clear as my other tanks. I don't think it will pose any serious problem atm.

I don't get bubbles coming out of the CO2 continuously, is that normal? It outputs a batch of bubbles, 2-3 bubbles on each step are moving up the ladder like I see someone else DIY CO2 on youtube, then it will slow down to 1 bubble per ladder moving up slowly, then completely stops, no bubbles, for like 20 seconds.
Is this normal?

I do not use a check valve, or any type of regulator. Not sure if thy would make a difference. But being able to adjust the flow isn't necessary for me. Using 2cups sugar, 1tsp yeast, and 1/4tsp baking soda gives me 1/2bbs with 2 generators. I change 1 mixture per week, and this has been giving me very steady results. But everyone has different experiences.
As far as the inconsistent bubbles...not sure. Probably because it's DIY, it's not going to be perfect. I was told that baking soda helps stabilize a little. Could be your regulator? Or whatever you're using to control the flow?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Cokers
Planted Member

This is completely unrelated, but are you using a CO2 diffuser?
Cokers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokers View Post
This is completely unrelated, but are you using a CO2 diffuser?
If you're asking me yes. A glass nano diffuser. If you're asking nogo yes. A ladder diffuser
Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
Cokers
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGo View Post

Is this normal?

Woops, didn't see that part I guess :P
Cokers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
NoGo
Algae Grower

Found a dead fish last night, plus 2 shrimps the other day. I don't know if the dead is related to the CO2 and cloudy water earlier. It's making me nervous now.

I think it is good to have a check valve because the canister is way below the tank. I can remove the open/close plastic valve if necessary but I have it set to wide open. Is there a preferred location to place the check val? Near the canister side or the tank? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
stlouisan
Algae Grower

I'd put it towards the output end, as some check valves can be weak and tank water could creep up the line during times where the yeast mixture is winding down. It just makes it that much easier for the gas pressure to clear the tubing, IMO.

I assume you've done a good sized water change? It def sounds like yeast mixture got into your tank. I have a clarifying bottle between the generator and the diffuser(I'm sure there's a specific name for it). The generator gas has to pass through water(some use saltwater) in this bottle before continuing onto the diffuser, to prevent yeast from getting into the tank.
stlouisan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.