Algae issues - starting to give up!! :(
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs down

Algae issues - starting to give up!! :(

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble with some algae on plant leaves, rocks and glass. I think I have the green beard algae growing on very few big uppermost leaves of plants as well as on some rocks. As well as this, I've got some of the blue-green algae growing on another plant. Also, I have green dust algae growing on the glass and some thread algae growing off of that!

I use pressurised CO2 so that the drop checker is lime-green/yellow but the fish are doing fine even though the CO2 is high. I also have twin T5HO Juwel hi-lights which give off a lot of light compared to normal T5 bulbs. As well as this, I have started to dose using the EI method this Monday (previously used an all-in-one fertiliser called Neutro+).

I cannot see why I am getting the algae! The lights are only on 6.5 hours a day between 12.00-6.30 and the CO2 comes on and off two hours before and after the lights.

I have 7 oto's in the tank but they don't seem to be doing much and I don't feed them at all. So they must be grazing on some algae somewhere. I have also purchased a single true Siamese Algae Eater to see if he does a decent job.

I really don't know what to do. Maybe I had low nutrient levels especially nitrate when dosing with Neutro+ but now I have switched to EI dosing, maybe that'll help get rid of the algae?

EI DOSING ROTA is as follows:

-- Monday : 30-50% water change, dose Macro
-- Tuesday: dose Micro
-- Wednesday: dose Macro
-- Thursday: dose Micro
-- Friday: dose Macro
-- Saturday: dose Micro
-- Sunday: REST DAY NO DOSING

I add 4tsp of KNO3, 1tsp of KPO4 and 6tsp MgSO4 to 500ml of deionised water to create a MACRO mixture. For the MICRO mixture, I add 1tsp of chelated trace elements to 500ml of water which yields:

Fe 8.2%
Mn 1.82%
Zn 1.16%
B 1.05%
Cu 0.23%
Mo 0.15%

Can someone help me - I know its all confusing but I have really wanted a decent looking planted tank for months and now I'm just starting to give up

Thanks,
Dan
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
ETK
Planted Member

water changes need to be 50% or more to make sure you aren't increasing your nutrient levels in the water column each week.

Filtration and flow are important too. from your sig i think you have two Biopower 240s in a 48G tank (36" by 18" by 18"? if so its the same as my tank), in addition to a koralia for flow. i think you may need more filtration. You can probably get away with your current setup, just be diligent about removing any decaying plants and algae. I use an FX5 on my tank, which is way overkill and I love it.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

Ok, I'm going to install a EHEIM PROFESSIONAL 3E 350 EXTERNAL FILTER onto this planted tank (has been sat in storage since January from an old tank!). Let's see if that helps. I will leave one of the internal filters in running alongside the external.

Anyone else have any tips?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Piraha
Algae Grower

My answer to algae is always the same. It's an experiment. You make a change and wait to see if the results are as expected. You didn't say how recently you changed you fertz, but you have to give these things time.

If you need to see results faster do a cleaning/trim and blackout to reset the algae and watch it's growth from there. Also I've found that after I've decided on a dosing and Co2 standard, it's the light. Start at Med light (most everything will grow (though not as fast as you might wish)) and increase light slowly until you hit your algae wall. I would work on your light output. Either raise the light off the tank or exchange one of those T5HO Juwel hi-lights for a standard bulb and see how the algae/plants react.

Best of luck,
Piraha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

well you've only been EI dosing for 4 days, so give the plants some time to take over, maybe you'll see good results in a week or two. in the meantime, yep, water changes!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
thinBear
Planted Member

What's the distance between the light and the substrate? and
How long have this tank been setup? Ammonia ppm?
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

The distance between lights and substrate is approx 18inches. The tank has been set up since February this year where Ammonia is at 0ppm. I previously dosed with an all-in-one fertiliser called Neutro+ from the very start, and recently switched to EI dosing this Monday.

Maybe I need to dose a little bit more? As apparently, most of the algae that I have encountered is caused by low nitrates (as well as the obvious high light but that is only on for 6.5 hours with the maximum level of CO2 the fish are comfortable with).

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (232/100%)

I find a powerhead to do current is always helpful.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Is your tank heavily planted? you might not have enough plants. If that is not the case, then you need to find a balance with lighting, co2, and ferts. it looks like the ferts is your problem. don't give up. eventually, you'll get it. do you have any snails? snails would help with your clean up crew.

Also, you might want to look at the this:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=one+two+punch
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
rusty1760
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)

I agree with ETK filtration and water changes are of upmost importance. You didnt mention how long the tank has been set up, if its fairly new algae is just part of the process, some get it others not.
Try to remove as much of the algae as you can, and when doing water changes, vaccuum out any detritus ( dont be too overzealos ) With the filters off squirt flourish excell onto your problem BBA wait 10 min and switch the filters on again. Watch that you don't overdose the tank, but applying excel directly to BBA kills it off usually with just one application. If you can't treat all the algie at once break the treatment down to no more than twice the recomended daily dosage and treat one area at a time( treat every second day if you have to ) The excel will also kill off most of the hair algie.
Green dust - get some magic erasor pads and just wipe it off. Blue green algie if its cynobacteria can be treated with erythromycin but it generally indicates poor water quality and insufficient water movement. Your tank should settle down and your algie problems slowly diminish, it can be very disheartening but until your plants are growing strongly and the beneficial bacteria colonises your whole tank you will have excess nutrients available for algie. BTW MTS are really good at getting rid of decaying vegitation and turning over the substrate to stop it stagnating but beware if you do get them you have them for life, you cannot get rid of them, personally I love them they hide during daylight hours, only come out at night so I don't see them unless I have too many then I just vaccuum them out with a water change, don't get regular pond snails they reproduce like crazy and you see them everywhere.
rusty1760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Yea healthy plants are the best algae control.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyul View Post
The distance between lights and substrate is approx 18inches. The tank has been set up since February this year where Ammonia is at 0ppm. I previously dosed with an all-in-one fertiliser called Neutro+ from the very start, and recently switched to EI dosing this Monday.

Maybe I need to dose a little bit more? As apparently, most of the algae that I have encountered is caused by low nitrates (as well as the obvious high light but that is only on for 6.5 hours with the maximum level of CO2 the fish are comfortable with).

Thanks!
So you dose EI since 4 days only. It takes more time to see a change on the plants, one week or two.

Continue dosing, water changes, removing algae, you maybe on the good track now. Patience is very important in this hobby. Watch how the plants behave closely and each day.

Michel.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

Okay, with everyones advice take on board, I have decided to do the following...

1) Keep up with the weekly water changes every Monday, but remove at least 50% of the water.

2) Keep up with the new EI dosing - obviously.

3) I have two internal Eheim Biopower filters running, I will be installing an Eheim Professional 3E 350 onto this 180L tank to give it a bit more flow and current whilst leaving one of the internal filters inside the tank. The media from the other filter will be added to the external, whilst being topped up with Eheim SubstratPro; BioMECH; MechPro and ADA BioRio - along with the lovely filter floss!

4) The CO2 injection will be at the highest ppm that the fish feel comfortable with. Does too much CO2 increase algae?!

5) The lighting will stay at 6.5hours a day

6) I haven't got EXCEL but I have EasyLife EasyCarbo which is similar to Flourish Excel. Will this be suitable in combatting and spot treating algae?

Should I keep the EI stock solutions at: 4tsp of KNO3; 1tsp of KPO4; 6tsp MgSO4 into 500ml water? and Dose 36ml of this solution every 3 days (alternate to micro). See the rota in the first post of my EI daily routine!

Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
ETK
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyul View Post
4) The CO2 injection will be at the highest ppm that the fish feel comfortable with. Does too much CO2 increase algae?!
No, most people on here seem to recommend increasing CO2 as high as possible -- meaning right up until the fish show signs of distress, then backing it off to a safe level. The consensus is that high CO2 helps keep algae in check.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #15
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Generally good approaches suggested above, especially the patience part. The only thing I would add, do you have access to a PAR meter? 9 times out of 10, the issue is light. Taking some PAR readings would give you very valuable information.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote