Crypt parva or something else?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Crypt parva or something else?

A while back I picked up some C. parva and placed some rhizomes in my 5 gallon during a DSM. All but two rhizomes melted. After I filled it up, I was initially using DIY CO2. The C. parva did fine, producing a new leaf once every 2-3 weeks. I eventually upgraded to paintball CO2 and after a few months of pressurized CO2 and EI dosing, it has turned into slender-leafed plant that is constantly shooting up new leaves and runners every week or so.

The leaf blade is about 6cm and the petiole is 7.5cm. The height of a full grown plant is a little bit more than 15cm.

Here's a pic of the entire tank:

Specs:
5 gallon
27 watt 6500K CF Desk lamp on a timer for 10 hours, with the bulb three inches above the tank.
Tom's Mini Rapids Canister filter for filtration.
25 watt heater set for 73 degrees F.
Substrate is MGOCPM capped with Seachem Black Sand for a total substrate depth of three inches.
Full EI dosing with a 60-70% water change each Sunday with 1/4 teaspoon of GH booster after each water change.
Paintball CO2 with a drop checker (filled with 4dKH solution) reading lime-green two hours after the CO2 turns on.

Does anyone else have C. parva under medium/high light with pressurized CO2 that grows like this? Or is this another type of crypt? I could try growing it emersed to see if it will flower but that takes too long IMO. Any advice or info would be appreciated.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I dont think c. parva grows that large. I may be wrong, but mine usually stays under 3".
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

It's too large to be C. parva. I think I remember reading a few years back that there was a hybrid of C. parva and another crypt that looks like parva under low light, but under certain conditions would grow large like yours.
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I don't think parva gets that large. Looks similar to C. x willisii 'lucens' though it could also be a cross between parva and willisii(or something similar) as Slavecorps suggests. From what I've read, willisii is naturally a cross(hence the x before the species name) so it will easily create hybrids.

One thing that can be said for sure, is that this Cryptocoryne is a happy plant! Looks good!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Thanks for the responses.

Hm. I thought it got too big to be C. parva. And yeah, it might be C. x willisii. I have both C. x Lucens and C. x Willisii growing emersed. I'll try growing a rhizome of those two in this tank and seeing how they look after a month or two. Ill also take one of these mystery crypts and dump it into my emersed setup.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
I'll try growing a rhizome of those two in this tank and seeing how they look after a month or two. Ill also take one of these mystery crypts and dump it into my emersed setup.
I like where you're going with that!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.