DIY External Heater (56k!) - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #76
Aquamanx
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx

I want to know how this has worked over time... I Love the idea of it! I read this when you wrote it. I just wanted to see the longevity of the construction with the heater going through the threaded seal.

Thanks,
Steve X.
Aquamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #77
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Aquamanx:

People have been doing this for quite sometime. i use a similar fitting of a pH probe and have no problems at all. Other than someone screwing it up during installation, I think this is a great litle DIY to get some equipment out of the tank, especially the heater (with the nasty little yellow light)!
Old 03-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #78
lemuj
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

i've tried ordering the free heyco fitting(part #8437) about two weeks ago and just realize that it's unavailable(been waiting for nothing). Does anybody know alternative part number i can get for free??? HELP please....
lemuj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #79
PDX-PLT
Planted Member

Come on, don't be such a cheapskate and order it from Mouser. It's not like they're expensive.
PDX-PLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #80
lemuj
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT View Post
Come on, don't be such a cheapskate and order it from Mouser. It's not like they're expensive.

I was going to order it from mouser, and yeah you're right the product itself isn't that expensive, but shipping to Canada is what going to kill me. FOR DIY projects, cheapest it can be is what i'm trying to do, otherwise why not just get me the ready made if it's going to cost me almost same.
lemuj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:17 AM   #81
fishyface
Planted Member

AndrewH, i really like your design, could you give me any feedback as to how it performs? also, have you filled the reactor with any media to help dissolve the co2?

thanks,
darryl
fishyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #82
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyface View Post
AndrewH, i really like your design, could you give me any feedback as to how it performs? also, have you filled the reactor with any media to help dissolve the co2?

thanks,
darryl
I've been using an almost identical setup for about a year now, and it works perfectly. I used it to dissolve my CO2 for a while, and it did not need any media inside it to break up and dissolve the CO2 for my filter. If you are running a very powerful filter, you may need to increase the length of the PVC. The only thing that I would like to point out is that you may have to calibrate your heater once it's installed in the unit, as the way it is set up caused mine to overheat the tank by about five degrees. Once I recal'd the heater, it's held a steady 78* ever since.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #83
c_sking
Algae Grower

Lowes and Hometheftpot carry these fittings too. Although not all of them do. Mouser is a good bet.
V P #8
Me, no Iphone nope not I. Heck I would not even have a cell if I was not married.
c_sking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #84
AndrewH
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to AndrewH Send a message via AIM to AndrewH Send a message via Yahoo to AndrewH Send a message via Skype™ to AndrewH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyface View Post

thanks,
darryl
TYVM

I did build the reactors and I have all of the CO2 equipment (15# bottle, M3 2 gauge regulator, solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter, tubing), but I get such great growth with just lighting and refilling the evap water (no water changes) that I don't need to hook up the CO2.

One of my bulbs burned out on my 2 lamp T5HO fixture and for 2 months I left it with 1 bulb to see what would happen. Before with both bulbs I was trimming the tank twice a month (every other week). My tank was almost bare after the last pruning before the bulb bared out. I replaced the bulb 2 months later and there wasn't any change in the plants lengths or color within that time period, but as soon as I put in a new bulb the plants are now taking over the tank again - 7 days later . I didn't photo document the dramatic change when it happened, but plan to recreate the situation so I can document it. Should be pretty interesting. And if I'm getting this type of growth with just lighting (no ferts, no chemicals of any kind - no dechlor, but doubled filtered tap water), I don't think I want to increase that by adding CO2... I couldn't keep up.

But to specifically answer your questions: I did not fill the reactor with media material (like bio-balls or pillow stuffing) because I completely sealed mine. It being below the tank I didn't want to run the risk of a threaded joint not getting tight enough (as in cross threading it by accident) and it leaking all of my tank water onto the floor. Also, I feel the length of the reactor will allow the CO2 to be completely dissolved. It's sealed, so where else is it going to go besides into the tank? But the reactors I actually built (and in the pictures) are ~24" long. There's plenty of length to cut off the end and put in a female adapter, reducer bushing, and a hose barb so you could get into the reactor to clean the media.

Female Adapter----Reducer Bushing---Hose Barb

A friend of mine built some reactors that look kinna like my design (minus the heater part) and is reporting great success and lots of dissolved CO2. He's on these boards as "rolloffhill" (I'll send him a PM to see if he'll comment on his reactors and how he likes them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
I've been using an almost identical setup for about a year now, and it works perfectly. I used it to dissolve my CO2 for a while, and it did not need any media inside it to break up and dissolve the CO2 for my filter. If you are running a very powerful filter, you may need to increase the length of the PVC. The only thing that I would like to point out is that you may have to calibrate your heater once it's installed in the unit, as the way it is set up caused mine to overheat the tank by about five degrees. Once I recal'd the heater, it's held a steady 78* ever since.
From what I calculated (mostly just guessing) a normal hang-in-tank heater will be much more efficient in this configuration. It's meant to sit in stagnate/slow moving water and keep the temp at say 75*, but if you put relatively fast flowing water over its surface in a confined space it should only take the same temp equivalent as say 70*. What used to take 75* is now taking 70* and probably not running as much/coming on as often since there aren't as many cold spots (I guess that really comes down to how well you're circulating the water throughout the tank = how often the heater as to come on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_sking View Post
Lowes and Hometheftpot carry these fittings too. Although not all of them do. Mouser is a good bet.
I found that the Home Depot and Lowes in my area didn't have the same stuff. In fact the HD had tons more options than Lowes (I was disappointed because the Lowes is close and the HD is a few miles away).

AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #85
SpeedEuphoria
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quick question as I'm considering doing this as I need a CO2 reactor and plan on having both in 1 unit.

1: Has anyone used a Visi-therm stealth heater with the mentioned Heyco cord grip(8437)? If so did you put the main long heater body in the cord grip or use the 1st little step where its round? As the main body is not perfectly round.

I have very rough measurements on the 250w stealth, AFAIK all of there heaters are the same diameter just vary in length. I need to grab my digi calipers but so far I have estimated ~3/4" for the heater body and ~1" for that 1st step above it

Thanks in advance for opinions and info

Edit: Just wanted to add that Heyco gives away free samples, when i called them they suggested that I try some, lol. So I will let you know how it goes.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
VICTOR PIMP #9 VTS-253A-1993
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 10-17-2008 at 04:48 PM..
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #86
SpeedEuphoria
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just an Update, Heyco sent me 2 free cordgrips today as free samples. I asked for 4 but they only gave me 2(all I needed anyway).

I update when I try the Stealth heater in it and see how it seals and post a pic of the final project
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
VICTOR PIMP #9 VTS-253A-1993
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 10-24-2008 at 04:00 AM..
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #87
Snazzy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamanx View Post
I want to know how this has worked over time... I Love the idea of it! I read this when you wrote it. I just wanted to see the longevity of the construction with the heater going through the threaded seal.

Thanks,
Steve X.
came lurking in on the forums again and i still have my original hooked up and running even has made it on a move in a uhaul fully hooked up lol, still no leaks

~enjoy snazzy
Snazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #88
Patchworks

Ok, just found this post and order my samples... I have a 150 Gallon and wondering about the efficiency that was mentioned by one of your guys. I'm wondering what wattage heater I shoud go with. I actually have 2 - 300Watt Heaters and I have heard of people incorporating 2 heaters, but I not sure what the design would be.

g
Patchworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #89
brohawk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)

You might be just fine w/ 1 300W heater. Though I haven't specifically dealt w/ such high wattage/size tank, my heater is much, much more efficient once enclosed, as it's now heating a much smaller quantity of water at a time. I had to turn mine down from about 75% full power to its lowest setting to keep the tank temp the same as before.
brohawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #90
Patchworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
You might be just fine w/ 1 300W heater. Though I haven't specifically dealt w/ such high wattage/size tank, my heater is much, much more efficient once enclosed, as it's now heating a much smaller quantity of water at a time. I had to turn mine down from about 75% full power to its lowest setting to keep the tank temp the same as before.
Well, that is what I'm hoping...

Thanks,

g
Patchworks is offline   Reply With Quote