DIY Aquarium Vine questions - peat moss?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
chiisaimomo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

DIY Aquarium Vine questions - peat moss?

So.. I'm trying to figure out the best way to make vines for my rainforest inspired aquascape, since I'm not having much luck finding branches that look like something you'd find in a jungle. I was thinking of covering nylon rope in peat moss and silicone like the ones sold for terrariums and the like, but I'd rather make them myself so I can have varying lengths and widths. But with the backstory out of the way, here are some of the questions I haven't been able to answer myself:

1. I know peat moss lowers the PH and can soften the water in my tank, but should I look out for anything major if the vines stay in the water for an extended amount of time? My PH was 7.5 or 7.6 last time I did a water test, which was a little over a week ago.

2. Will peat moss eventually disintegrate or need to be.. reapplied? (I'm looking for a long term solution since I may want to add weeping moss in the future)

3. I want to attach some kind of moss to pieces of the "vines" in the future, the coating on the rope won't stop it from attaching, right?

4. I have evil goldfish that destroy everything. Okay, not really, they've been really good.. but I love them enough to attempt a planted tank, and I can't get rid of them. Does anyone think the vines will hold up, or do goldfish enjoy mauling peat or something?

5. And finally, has anyone done this before? Is there something you would do differently (not use nylon rope, etc.) regardless? Or is there some magic driftwood or other option you know about that seriously looks like jungle vines?

I hope I'm being clear, lurker finally coming out for her first thread!
chiisaimomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
majorwoo
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

This guy did some amazing work here, he talks about how he made his vines:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=119853&page=2
Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Caulk-covered rope rolled in peat is a good way to go to simulate vines. Untwist the rope strands in varying places so you have strings ("vinelets") hanging down here and there--nice effect. Use dark caulk (Dow 795) because the peat will eventually come loose in places. Hopefully by that time the vine will be covered in moss etc. Moss doesn't mind growing on rough caulk at all. Unless it's a tarzan vine in a nano and your KH=0, I doubt the pH will change. I think you know the answer to the goldfish question!
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
chiisaimomo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorwoo View Post
This guy did some amazing work here, he talks about how he made his vines:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=119853&page=2
Oh, thank you so much for this link! I'm wondering about the cotton holding up, but I can definitely use this for inspiration and a guide. Too bad about the guy having to take it all down, it was beautiful
chiisaimomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
majorwoo
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I agree, it was a gorgeous tank! Good luck and post pictures