Small plants in 75 gal dry start
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #1
loweb1

PTrader: (0/0%)

Small plants in 75 gal dry start

Can I get some feedback about my dry start? Anything I should change now before I flood it?

Full Tank Shot

You can see the mist maker on top of the tank on the right. It's piped into the 'spray bar' on the back. The red cup is buried, filled with filter media, and has the bottom cut out so I can suck out all the water buildup through it periodically. The rock wool in front has dwarf baby tears growing on it. I'm leaving it in the rock wool for now so that it doesn't get overtaken by algae.

Flame Moss

I started with just a little bit of this stuff and some erect moss in little strips on this rock. Within a week I could tell the flame moss was just too amazing. So I moved the erect moss to a rock on the other side of the tank and ordered more of the flame. This stuff is gorgeous. It seems to be loving the dry start.

Riccardia Chamedryfolia close up

I think this stuff is what they call mini pellia. I love it. It's so tiny and actually attaches really well to the rocks. I'm seriously considering getting more of this and spreading it even more.

In front of the big rock

Here you can see the downoi I'm trying to get to encircle the big rock. I'm hoping the baby tears will fill in the front of the tank and any spots between the downoi. The 'root' here is completely covered in algae but has some very pretty riccardia growing on the end. The algae is a problem since I can't keep the water from building up with the mister going full time. But if I don't keep the mist going then my plants higher up dry out. So I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep the algae under control by periodic scraping and some meticulous H2O2 applications before I flood.

Rear Middle

This is probably my biggest problem area. Right now this is a mess of Marselia Minutia, Glosso, some sort of sword grass, and the downoi and stauro from the sides. I just couldn't make up my mind so I threw it all in to see what would take. Now I still can't make up my mind... I need help here.

Round Pellia? (Subwassertang?)

I'm not sure exactly what this is called. I think its a larger version of the mini pelia. It's not growing as quickly and it came mixed in with some mystery moss that I'm trying to pick out of it.

Top View of the Front Right

Here on the left you can see the 'erect' moss that started out on top of the huge rock but got removed in favor of the flame moss. I'm not much of a fan of this and often consider removing it for something prettier.

The anubias nana are about the biggest plants I'd like to have in this tank. I thought they would look very pretty if I attached them to the roots all over the hill but I'm not sure they are turning out the way I wanted. The anubias roots are white and might be too distracting. And the ones attached higher up in the tank tend to dry out easily and get damaged leaves.

You can see how the Hydrocotyle Japan has just taken over everything. It's nice that its so vigorous but I'm taken aback by it at the same time. The staurogyne repens is filling in but it's a lot slower and I'm having to take cuttings to replant around the hill every week.

Front Slope

Here you can see the mystery moss that came with the subwassertang attached to the lower part of the rock on the left. Above it (mostly hidden by the branch) is some fissidens (phoenix moss) that doesn't seem to like dry start much. On the far right you can see the branch that is covered in what is supposed to be peacock moss but it doesn't look much like the pictures I've seen. I talk about the middle section and the bottom rock in other photos.

Mid Hill Close up

This is turning into a mess. The japonica vine is taking over in a lot of ways. It's really pretty but I'm worried that I won't be able to keep it in control. The moss on the wood root was sold to me as 'spiky' moss and it isn't as pretty as some of the other mosses I have. I'm tempted to take it out and replace it with something triangular (xmas, taiwan, peacock?) or maybe more mini pellia? The stauro repens in my head was going to be covering the hillside with highlights Hydrocotyle Japan. But the Hydrocotyle Japan is a monster grower.

Riccia and Pellia

Some riccia (brighter green Y's) tagged along with the little square of riccardia chamedryfolia I ordered. I'm not sure the riccia will attach itself to the rock the way the pellia will. (Why do they call it pellia? I thought it was riccardia chamedryfolia ?)

Far Right Wall

On the upper left is probably my best looking bunch of fissidens. This bunch seems to still be growing although it looks very different than it's submerged form. I started out with a lot of fissidens all over the 'roots' but there must not have been enough moisture on the upper sections because it all dried out. I rescued what I could and made bunches like this on rocks instead.

There is still room left to fill in on the other rocks. I've put some larger version of riccia I found in the tank (no clue where it came from, it's way larger than the stuff on the other rock) but I'm not sure it is going to attach. I might be wasting my time with it. Considering spreading more coral moss (mini pellia, riccardia chamedryfolia, whatever - so many names!).

Behind the huge rock

Big mess back here too. I got a sampler of a bunch of little mini swords and grass type plants. They were all extremely rotted when I got them so I put them back here to see if they would rebound. It looks like some of them have but I'm not sure if I should keep them or not.
loweb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #2
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The first thing I saw was "Unholy Water" and I near sprayed my drink. As for the rear middle, it's not your focal point; no need to make it complex. Leave the one species that fills in the best. Far more praise than criticism from me, I am smitten with the right side of the tank, refreshingly different. Subscribing.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
skoram
Algae Grower

agree with the above poster. this tank is refreshingly different. it looks so beautiful now i'd almost be tempted not to flood it.
skoram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
loweb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiesexistence View Post
The first thing I saw was "Unholy Water" and I near sprayed my drink. As for the rear middle, it's not your focal point; no need to make it complex. Leave the one species that fills in the best. Far more praise than criticism from me, I am smitten with the right side of the tank, refreshingly different. Subscribing.
Ha ha. The secret ingredient!

I'm thinking I'll leave the marselia minutia in the mid rear and remove the rest of it. I like the dark green it has as a contrast to the stuff around it.

Now I'm thinking I'll probably take all the downoi from behind the huge rock and move it around to the front and then try to decide which of the micro swords to leave in the back left corner to fill in that area.

Also still considering heavily trimming or removing the erect moss and trimming the peacock moss back so you can tell what it is growing on.
loweb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
TRENT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Very nice, your tank is beautiful. Inspiring........
TRENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
cephelix
Algae Grower

very nice...thanks for taking the time to take us on a tour of your tank. hope things turn out well. subscribing for sure.
cephelix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
someoldguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

What a great , and different concept ! How long has this dry start been going ? The only thing that maybe concerns me is the void behind the big rock . There's stuff behind the rock , but it's small and might get lost in the overall scheme of things ; plus it seems to be a great place for fish or shrimp to die and not be seen for a few days. Any chance of building up the substrate back there so things don't get hidden away?
someoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
vanish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Pretty fantastic!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

What I want to know is what's in that bottle labeled "unholy h2o"?

Tank looks great
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Sub1117
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

That right side is just pure inspiration. Love it
Sub1117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
anubias nana, downoi, liverworts, moss, staurogyne repens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.