Lucky bamboo
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Lucky bamboo

So I know that lucky bamboo isn't really bamboo and also isn't an aquatic plant. However, I'm looking to keep my floating plants from getting stuck behind my HOB biowheel filter. I was searching the web for solutions and saw that some pond owners use lucky bamboo to keep floating plants from getting stuck behind waterfalls or skimmers. I figured this could work as well for my 20H tank if I can find lucky bamboo that's tall enough to have its leaves out of the water. My only concern is that the bamboo may be exposed to too much light. FYI, I have a 24" Finnex Ray 2. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If it turns out that the lucky bamboo won't work for my situation, I'd appreciate if anyone could offer some easy solutions in terms of keeping my floating plants from getting stuck behind my filter.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

FYI, my concern about the lighting is that lucky bamboo is not supposed to be exposed to direct sunlight. Aquarium light fixtures made specifically for growing plants are supposed to simulate sunlight, so I'm wondering if the lights from my Ray 2 will be too much.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
K8xp
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can't really give advice for your main part of the question, the bamboo may get burned as the Ray 2 is pretty strong I'd think, but my solution was to stick the bamboo in my aquaclear filter when I found out it wasn't aquatic lol.

GL though, my plants get stuck in that spot, I just move them a lot
Old 06-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I might try it out anyway. If I get a tall enough piece, the leaves won't be directly under the Ray 2. Can anyone suggest any plants that can grow out of an open top aquarium?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Have you thought about just fencing off your HOB filter? I used a bit of air tubing, two suction cups, and bingo fenced the HOB outflow so the floating plants couldn't get to it:

Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
Have you thought about just fencing off your HOB filter? I used a bit of air tubing, two suction cups, and bingo fenced the HOB outflow so the floating plants couldn't get to it:

Thanks for the pic. Where can I get the suction cups? Also, how much of the airline tubing actually touches the surface. Does water evaporation become an issue in terms of lowering the water level, or is it not a problem if I'm doing weekly water changes?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

weekly water changes no prob, fill the waterline to cover halfway up the side of the tube. i got the suction cups from amazon, the no frills kind used to secure airline tubing.

it actually helps me gauge when i have poured just the right amount of water back in the tank for changes too!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
weekly water changes no prob, fill the waterline to cover halfway up the side of the tube. i got the suction cups from amazon, the no frills kind used to secure airline tubing.
Thanks.