Forgive my ignorance - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thanks Hoppy -- I've got the dry fertilizers on order, should be here early next week. That sounds pretty close to what Nilocg prescribed to me:

Quote:
20-40 Gallons
1/4 tsp KNO3 3x a week
1/16 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/16 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/16 tsp CSM+B 3x a week

Dose CSM+B MWF and the other three 3x per week on opposite days as the CSM+B. On the 7th day do a 50% water change and afterwards add 1/2tsp of GH booster.
You say my tank at ~20" substrate-to-light with a single Ray2 would be considered low-medium light; I have read that HC requires high light -- do you think I should consider an additional light source, or would my single Ray2 be adequate with proper CO2, EI dosage, and Excel dosage?
Nightspell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #17
Jonny
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
STOP WHERE YOU ARE

lets simplify

fertilizing is EASY for the beginner if you can follow the EI dosing regimen.
there is a link at the top of the fertilizer section on how to do it
GLA has a starter kit that will provide the neccessary ferts to do EI

it takes out ALL the guesswork and supplies plants with more than enough nutrients to grow under perfect conditions. it does NOT supply too many nutrients that could cause harm to fauna, some delicate shrimp aside.

co2 is the HARDEST part of this hobby. fertilizer should become a mindless routine after a few weeks. and its so simple because it does NOT cause problems.. co2 does, and again is the hardest to master

Co2 as a reference point should be injected until some of the faster growing plants start pearling visibly. on the first few leaves of growth.. this will likely happen on the underside where the tissue is soft ad oxygen is transported out easier. this response should happen within about 1-2 hours of co2 on and should be continuous throughout the day.. if its not continuous, you don't have enough co2

watch fish while adjusting co2 as it can be dangerous to them
Haha I feel like even more of a newb now when I have no idea what EI and GLA stand for. Is this a bad choice by you to use acronyms in a 'newbie advice post', or just completely newbie idiocy of me to not know what these stand for. *Goes to hide in a corner and hoped he doesn't get shouted at for being stupid.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
Because you're new to fertilizers I recommend starting with liquid solutions from the SeaChem Flourish line of planted tank products.
Sold
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Haha I feel like even more of a newb now when I have no idea what EI and GLA stand for. Is this a bad choice by you to use acronyms in a 'newbie advice post', or just completely newbie idiocy of me to not know what these stand for. *Goes to hide in a corner and hoped he doesn't get shouted at for being stupid.*

Sold
bad choice by me..
ei-= Estimative Index.. a style of dosing
GLA = green leaf aquariums

as far as being sold. to use the correct amount of liquid ferts by seachem.. you'll be throwing money down the drain. THEY work, don't get me wrong. but if u follow their own online calculator to reach even a bare minimum amount.. there bottles might last you a week or two
Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
picturebigger
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
my kh is 3 and my tap ph is 7.8 i've dropped my ph all the way to 6.5 with it like that and now i use aquasoil and my kh is 2 and my average tank ph is 6.8 and i drop down to 5.4 with co2 on. that's a 1.4 drop in ph due to co2... fish are still alive and kicking.
and according to that chart, my co2 should be well over 90 ppm...
lol i second the 'feeling like a newb' comment, jonny. i had to read this quote 15 times and now i'm looking for a fricken calculator.

BlazingWolf... we hate you. jk
picturebigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturebigger View Post
lol i second the 'feeling like a newb' comment, jonny. i had to read this quote 15 times and now i'm looking for a fricken calculator.

BlazingWolf... we hate you. jk
LOL
to explain further
my tapwater kh is 3 and my tap ph is 7.8 i've dropped my ph all the way to 6.5 with it like that using flourite as a substrate. fish survived the 1.3 ph drop and the resulting amount of co2
and now i use aquasoil and my kh is 2 (in the tank as aquasoil buffers KH) and my average tank ph is 6.8 when i turn on co2 i drop down to 5.4 with co2 on. that's a 1.4 drop in ph due to co2... fish are still alive and kicking.SO according to that chart, with my kh and ph levels my co2 should be well over 90 ppm... using aquasoil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.