how should i get rid of all the junk
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
jamntoast
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

how should i get rid of all the junk

so i have a sand cap on a soil base, i've had to move things around and every time i do i always get all this junk coming up, soil and bits from the soil (i was impaitent and did not sift the soil before putting it in so i have bits of different stuff) it's mostly just gunk like detritus,decayed plant matter and then i have weird little white pebble things and snail shells and stuff. i'm sure some of it i could pull out by hand but that would be a lot of work and i'd miss most of it. can't vaccum it out because a) don't want to plug my kitchen sink up (again) and it also plugs my vaccum. does anyone have any tricks to keep your substrate looking clean?
jamntoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
A.2013
Algae Grower

You will have to tear it down. I made the same mistake. You will never ever be happy with it. The white stuff is either perlite or styrofoam if it's cheap stuff. The extra decaying matter (wood chunks) will cause an algae explosion and mess with the water chemistry when it rots. I decided to go with Safe-T-sorb and root tabs until I get better at aquascaping. I may go back to a soil tank after that.
A.2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
jamntoast
Planted Member

yea dont really want to do that, although i just put some geos in it a little bit ago so i might have to tear it down anyway if they start really kicking it up. they are still small so i think i've got a bit of time to relax. i think i might get a (clean and new) cat poop scooper, maybe that will be able to grab most of the junk. any other suggestions?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

That's the down fall of soil tanks. If you are constantly rearranging your tank, soil isn't the way to go.
The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...594&highlight=
10g NPT Betta tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=358321
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Sand is much harder to keep clean with dirt I know that cause that's what I'm using though when clean I love the look.

A few rouge air pockets have even brought some to the top. Being so compact it doesn't really let waste settle in below the surface and its color really makes it show easy.

I've thought trying to work in some larger grain pool filter sand to created more gaps.

Cory cats I added have done a good job keeping my top layer mixed and clean and increased flow could kick it up into a filter.

I just use a length of tubing and a 5 gallon bucket to spot check the surface, can clean many spots in under a quarter gallon

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
jamntoast
Planted Member

thats a good idea too, using syphoning it off. i have some larger vinyl tubing i could use.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Turkey baster and hours of arduous work. My first dirt tank looks like that, for the same reasons as you outlined. I can't take it anymore and am redoing it tomorrow.

The only way to solve it is to stop moving anything, and to pick out the detritus by hand.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I took off the big end of my gravel vacuum and just use the clear hose that comes with it to do my substrate cleaning. Works great for spot cleaning. You'll suck up a little sand in the process, but it will settle to the bottom of the bucket and you can drop the sand back in the tank after emptying the bucket.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Jonny
Planted Member

My Turkey Baster is my friend. It is a relatively easy way to suck up those unsightly bits in the same way you might use a syphon, just more targeted.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.