Shrimp 2 gallon Jar Present- No tech. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #16
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Those pickle jars are a lot of fun for sure. There is a singular problem with them: having only one .

Small floaters like frog bit, dwarf lettuce, etc. work well in these jars and help to keep the environment stable.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #17
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Looks great! I like the spiky look of the wood there. Refreshingly different.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #18
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Those pickle jars are a lot of fun for sure. There is a singular problem with them: having only one .

Small floaters like frog bit, dwarf lettuce, etc. work well in these jars and help to keep the environment stable.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

I have a tiny dwarf water lettuce, a frogbit, a salvinia patch and one greater duckweed in there right now. Having an issue with small duckweed in my other tanks so took out 1 piece, washed them and put them in to grow and multiply to ensure no small duckweed infests the jar.

Probably going to have to re-do a few tanks completely to eradicate the small duckweed, i dislike it immensely and can't seem to get rid of it.

---------
Thanks Peter
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added 3 RCS, an amano and a Thai Micro Crab to the jar a week ago. All seem to be doing well and next will be to add the few ramshorn snails and the jar will be done. Already thinking of maybe doing a another jar, to hopefully put a couple blue shrimp into. I can't wait to (hopefully) watch the babies grow. The amano is going to come out and go in a 10 gallon after he gets a little bigger, I didn't want my betta to eat him since he was kind of small when he got here.

Plants are growing beautifully. The taiwan moss seems to be really, really happy in there, it has started growing great and the shrimp love it. Surprisingly I may have actually managed to not infect it with regular duckweed!! So happy about that, i can't even explain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7251.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	186129  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7252.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	186137  

Old 08-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #20
eadams2010
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post

Plants are growing beautifully. The taiwan moss seems to be really, really happy in there, it has started growing great and the shrimp love it. Surprisingly I may have actually managed to not infect it with regular duckweed!! So happy about that, i can't even explain.

What is that floating plant? Id love to get some for my Neons planted 10gal if I knew the name.
eadams2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #21
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadams2010 View Post
What is that floating plant? Id love to get some for my Neons planted 10gal if I knew the name.
Its in the post right above the pictures #18
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadams2010 View Post
The small rounds plants are salvinia (which has spread nice and fast) and the bigger round patch is frogbit. You can't really see the water lettuce or greater duckweed in the picture.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #23
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looks great! Send some taiwan moss my way when its time for a trim.
lol
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One of the amano's molted today. The 2 red cherries inside are saddled and the assassins won't stop banging. I didn't want assassin eggs in there so will have to watch for babies for the next few months when I take them out. I got blue and pink ramshorns from a trade of plants last week, so I think the Pink ramshorns are going in this jar and hope to start a second jar for the blue. For the time being the pink and blue are getting daily water changes in a half gallon and several mason jars. I split them up based off of current color so will watch them for a few weeks before i decide what tank to put them into. Have to eradicate the brown ramshorns out of a few tanks before i add the blue or pink to anywhere so probably easiest to just start a second Jar just for blue ramshorns.

The plants inside this jar are really, really, really liking the mix of soil and floramax, they are growing out of control. The vals have put out more runners than the entire time they were in the bigger tank and the taiwan moss is doing the best out of any other tank in the house. I am extremely pleased with how this jar has turned out. Thinking these jars would be the perfect place to grow out just the different types of mosses we have collected so far.

CheyLily- after it grows out I'll be happy to pay it forward. I'll Pm when it gets there if you just pay shipping
Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #25
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

That's the spirit
Just keep feeding us pictures.

v2
Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #26
daylily
Algae Grower

peachii

I must have missed your thread when you first posted it. Beautiful jar. I would love to try one some day.

I had to write in support of what you are doing. I was diagnosed with RSD/CRPS in 2001 but had it for a few years before that. I used to have a huge outdoor garden, and hybridized daylilies, had a sales garden and mail order business Now almost all of the outdoor plants are gone. Only a few left, and will probably downsize that even more this fall.

I have wanted an aquarium ever since we got rid of the one I had as a child over 40 years ago, and fell in love with planted tanks a few years back. When pain was high at night, I used to watch youtube videos of planted tanks and it was so good to take my mind off the pain. One day while going in a local specialty fish store to look - I thought I am just going to go ahead and get a 5 gallon and set it up. I got a Fluval Spec V, and I put it near my bed, cycled it, joined a local fish club, got starts and trimmings from their plant guy, put a red male betta in, and it was so great to watch the betta when pain levels are so high at night. Liked it so well, moved him out to another area, and now I have a 15 gallon right by my bed, with the light cycle on at night, so I can watch them all night if I want to.

We might not be able to get out like we would want, or experience life like "normal" people - but the key is in finding joy in what we can do. And, the small planted tanks have given me such joy. I've tried nearly all the treatments for the RSD - they just have not helped, and I'm at 75% of my body now. But, I deal with it ok - meditation helps a lot, and so does sitting and watching the fish and shrimp and seeing the beauty of the plants right next to the bed. I have the 15 and two Fluval Specs with male bettas. I would LOVE to have a couple 40 breeder size tanks all planted, but the reality is that I don't think I can care for more than a 15 or 20. But, maybe I could add a couple jars.... ;-)

RSD/CRPS is a rare disease, and people that don't have it just cannot comprehend what having it is like. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone, and keep your chin up, and I hope you find something that helps you soon. I'm so glad that you have found the planted tanks and that they are helping you too!

I will be looking for one of those jars....
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

daylily,

Thank you so much for your story and your kind words. I'm going on 3 years now with no remission and it's really been a struggle. The fish and the plants really give me something else to try to focus on when the nights get bad, which is 90% of the nights here lately. I just can't imagine this going on forever but I guess it's best to just not think about that!

Take care and good luck finding your own jar, they might just be slightly addictive :P
Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My cherry shrimp are berried finally, all 3 of them the same night. It didn't happen until I added one more female and one more male into the jar with them. I picked the reddest male and females, and one of the females has the slight purple tone to her that I hope stays with it after the shrimplets hatch. No idea -how- in the world I am going to get 50+ shrimplets out of the jar when the time comes, guess it's going to be fun for a few months trying to fish them out. In our 8 gallon shrimp tank, I am guessing we have over 100 shrimplets just hatched, looks like all the girls got berried around the same time and they all hatched really close together. Going to need a second shrimp tank soon looks like to through culls into.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #29
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have shrimplets! Sometime in the last day or two one of the girls had her babies. I can see right now at least 12 babies, this jar has been extremely successful with zero (knock on wood and pray I didn't just jinx it) deaths so far. They love all of the taiwan moss, cholla wood and fast growing plants in it.

When we get our second type of shrimp, which are probably going to be Malawa and chocolates in the next month or so, hopefully I can add one more jar with those in it to sit beside my chair.

Shrimp are a joy to watch, when I can see them since the jar is grown in so well. I've really fallen in love with the shrimp and snails. Hands down I enjoy them more than fish, except for my bettas of course.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #30
JoshBA
Algae Grower

I've actually seen that exact jar for sale Target for only 8 dollars. I might have to try something like this some time.
JoshBA is online now   Reply With Quote