Contest photos with strobes-how?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Contest photos with strobes-how?

This is for all you photographer and pro aquascapers out there who create amazing, contest worthy, photographs of your aquascapes using external lighting such as strobes or speedlights. I have access to these and I was curious as to what kind of lighting setup you use. i.e. how many and which strobes and positioned where. And anything else you have to offer! I do studio shots of lots of other things but when it comes to aquascapes I haven't found the perfect lighting scheme.
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm not a pro aquascaper or a photographer who creates amazing photographs... But have you looked here: http://www.aquatic-photography.com ?

Also I find post production editing can make your photo look a lot closer to what your eye sees. I mainly use lightroom for quick editing and adjust the curves.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
I'm not a pro aquascaper or a photographer who creates amazing photographs... But have you looked here: http://www.aquatic-photography.com ?

Also I find post production editing can make your photo look a lot closer to what your eye sees. I mainly use lightroom for quick editing and adjust the curves.
Thanks for the link, maybe someone has posted about it there. I too use lightroom for most of my processing.
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I just bought a constant LED light I can mount on a tripod and move it how I want. I like the constant light because what you see is what you get. I can adjust the amount of light BUT it does not Freeze the action like a Strobe can.

I am looking into getting a nice strobe flash so I would like to see what others are using. I think a 2 flash set up with slave flashes would be great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.