How are my plants doing? Opinions/suggestions needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
wutang61
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How are my plants doing? Opinions/suggestions needed

Tank is about 2 months old and fully cycled. Here are some pictures of my plants.

Current stock

1 rainbow shark
5 female bettas
7 otos
8 ghost shrimp
1 mystery snail

29 gallon
Aquaclear 70
Fugeray 30 8-9 hours daily.
No co2
100% Eco complete
78*F water temp
Dose excel daily (3.25ml)
And dose flouish comp at a extremely low dose weekly. .75ml

Readings are 0-0-0
GH 13
KH 5

A few leaves on one of my crypts have some brown edged pin holes in them. My dwarf sag's seem to become translucent green toward the tips of the longer leaves

The amazons also have a light green translucent look (could be just the lighting I don't know) on the new growth leaves also some of the older leaves are twisted.

I also need to get some more eco-complete as I'm kicking myself for not pulling all the rockwool off the amazons. And I'm getting roots poking out of the substrate in the back of the tank. I can't for the life of me get them to stay under so I figure I would just bury them with a little more eco.
wutang61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

by readings do you mean 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates? If yes, you need to dose more nitrogen to increase your nitrate levels. I recommend increasing your dosage and the number of times you dose flourish comp. because I am not familiar with flourish comp, I assume it has the necessary macro and micro nutrients. If not, you are missing important ingredients. That's why your plant have holes and other deformities
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Start dosing some macros. With the plants you have, root tabs would be the best solution.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Markahsf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

You need root tabs! The plants you list feed heavy through their roots. Great looking tank by the way!

Would you mind posting a pic of the entire tank? I want a 29g and I was thinking of also getting a fugeray 30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S4 using Tapatalk 2
Markahsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
wutang61
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markahsf View Post
You need root tabs! The plants you list feed heavy through their roots. Great looking tank by the way!

Would you mind posting a pic of the entire tank? I want a 29g and I was thinking of also getting a fugeray 30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S4 using Tapatalk 2
Hmm. I did toss 10 root tabs in the tank during its setup. Ill buy more tomorrow and stuff 10 more in. Can't hurt right? I shot 1.5ml of flourish comp in the tank tonight and will monitor the progress. I usually change 35-40% of the water on my non planted tank weekly(10 gallon) and I guess the habit carried over. Ill hold off on water changes until I get a solid nitrate reading.

And thanks for the compliment! This is my first planted tank and first tank over 10 gallons.

Ignore the spot next to the crypt on the left. I had to hack off my dwarf sag as a lot of it was dying off. ( did the same to the one on the far left and It came back great.) edit: realized the pic cut off part of the tank on the left. Lol

Here's a full one:

Sent from my toaster with the 4g's and the wifis
Old 06-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

If you already have 10 root tabs buried, you should be fine for now. What brand of root tabs did you use?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
wutang61
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
If you already have 10 root tabs buried, you should be fine for now. What brand of root tabs did you use?
Flourish tabs. I might toss in another 10 though just to get the plants surrounded with them.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang61 View Post
Flourish tabs. I might toss in another 10 though just to get the plants surrounded with them.

From what I see from your pics, it seems that some of the leaves on your plants are still in the emersed form. Don't be surprised if these leaves start to deteriorate.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
wutang61
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
From what I see from your pics, it seems that some of the leaves on your plants are still in the emersed form. Don't be surprised if these leaves start to deteriorate.
I expect those to. Since my tank is low medium light with no co2 I figure it will be a slow process. The amazons are about half and half when it comes to emersed/immersed.

it seems when I hacked the dwarf sag off at the nub it grew back much more healthy so i expect that from the latest hacking of the second plant.

Beside the 1 or 2 leaves with a pin hole or two on the one crypt everything is honestly doing much better then I expected. For a first time shot anyways

Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
wutang61
Algae Grower

After some more research I decided that I'm going to use 10 api root tabs in addition to the flourish tabs I already have in the tank. The flourish tabs seem more mirco based then macro. Also 15% calcium?

The api tabs are 3-1-1 and will address any macro issues I have much better then the flourish tabs. Also the 5% iron will be loved by the swords.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang61 View Post
After some more research I decided that I'm going to use 10 api root tabs in addition to the flourish tabs I already have in the tank. The flourish tabs seem more mirco based then macro. Also 15% calcium?

The api tabs are 3-1-1 and will address any macro issues I have much better then the flourish tabs. Also the 5% iron will be loved by the swords.

Sounds good. I was never a fan of the Flourish tabs. For the price of two packs I could have gotten a bottle of Osmocote+ when it was still around.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
wutang61
Algae Grower

I tossed in the tabs yesterday. Upon closer inspection the immersed leaves of the amazons are pretty translucent. If one of my otos is on one side of the leaf I can see the fish pretty clearly through the leaf. No vein discoloration, green but a pale green. Hopefully the root tabs will help them. They look pretty pitiful.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

it seems when I hacked the dwarf sag off at the nub it grew back much more healthy

could you please explain this sentence using other/simplier english? im not sure i understand that right since its not my motherlanguage. thanks

great tank btw
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

he means that when he cut off the leaf as close as he could to the root, the sick leaf grew back healthy.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
wutang61
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
he means that when he cut off the leaf as close as he could to the root, the sick leaf grew back healthy.
Correct. Sorry for the slang. I cut the plant off right at the root. It seemed to grow back much better