Moving sale Upper East Side - Apistogramma kelleri and pencilfish still available
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 06-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
guits
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Moving sale Upper East Side - Apistogramma kelleri and pencilfish still available

UPDATE 6/18/13: TANKS #2 and #3 SOLD, TANK #1 STILL AVAILABLE

***If anything in the post needs clarification please feel free to PM me. Thank you all for the useful advice these past 4 years!***

I will be moving from NYC and unfortunately will be unable to take my tanks with me. Up for sale are the contents of 2 ten gallon tanks and 1 five gallon tank. I would LOVE to sell entire tank contents because it would be difficult and messy to dig up individual plants because I use a soil substrate (more on that later), but just let me know if you are interested in anything specific. The stem plants I will just cut from the substrate for you, unless you insist of digging the roots from the soil.

The tanks (but not the fish) are all 4 years old. I keep my tanks probably unlike many (most?) of the members on this forum. For full disclosure, you should know that I keep my tanks very low tech - I started out with HOB filters for water movement and dosing with Excel, but now I maintain my tanks with no filter and no dosing, just judicious feeding and water changes once to twice a week. All substrate is Miracle Gro Organic Choice potting soil covered with fine black aquarium sand (I suppose they are Diana Walstad-style in a way?). VERY LOW MAINTENANCE. Lighting is from 27W Daylight (5000K) compact fluorescent blubs, the kind you can get from Home Depot, with the fixture being simple Ikea floor fixture LERSTA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20110903/) for the 10 gallons and a simple clamp-on desk lamp that I think was from Bed Bath and Beyond for the 5 gallon. I have to take the lamps with me, so you would have to come up with your own plan. Fish eat New Life Spectrum pellets.

While my choices may be unorthodox, it works for me and I love the low-tech aspect of it. I have been able to raise several batches of Apistogramma through the years, which I've previously sold on this forum, so something is working.

PM me about prices if they don't make sense, it's rather difficult to put a price on a hobby I'm planning on going back to the saltwater side of things after my move and it would be great to build a fund. My schedule will be variable for the next 2 weeks, if anything interests you just let me know and we'll figure out a pick-up time.

Tank #1: 10 gallon Apistogramma kelleri tank --> entire tank $50 (fish, plants, stones, and a noisy Tetra PF10 HOB filter which I can't be bothered to fix but I'm sure it just needs a cleaning or something). Note that substrate on bottom is a thin layer of sand/gravel and NOT soil like the other 2 tanks. The A. kelleri are absolutely stunning, very entertaining, hard to find, and have bred several times for me. They are mouthbrooders! The amount of $$$ that the pair cost still makes me cringe, it felt like a small fortune!!! I'm sad to let them go and just want to see them go to a new home. They have been in this tank 1 year. The Nannostomus are probably 2-3 years old.
---INDIVIDUALLY---
*Apistogramma kelleri pair: $25
*4 Nannostomus eques: $10 for all of them (link below to spawning event in my tank it's pretty neat)
*1 otocinclus sp.: $2
*3 echinodorus plants in clay pots (potting soil covered with sand/gravel): free with fish
*3 small cichlid stones (one of them is not in the tank) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21383 : $2 each

Video of pencilfish spawning:

***SOLD***Tank #2: 10 gallon planted tank with showcase Cryptocryne parva carpet--> entire tank $60 (plants, fish, unique piece of wood covered with java moss, Tetra PF10 HOB filter)
---INDIVIDUALLY---
*about 15 Juvenile Apistogramma bitaeniata: $3 each (picture below is of the father)
*2 otocinclus: $2 each
I am reluctant to tear the plants out but am willing to do so
*A - Rotala sp. "Nanjenshan": $5 for entire bunch (many stems)
*B - Limnophila sp. "Vietnam": $5 for entire bunch (many stems, I've never seen it for sale in NYC, it's a lovely plant)
*C - Staurogyne repens: $5 for entire bunch (many stems, but they have been stunted ever since limnophila growth went rampant several months ago, limnophila now controlled but staurogyne hasn't made full recovery, should do fine if you replant in fresh media)
*D - Unique piece of wood covered with java moss: $7 (you can't tell from the picture but it's actually shaped like a tree stump with a footprint of about 7" in diameter, it was a great find at Pacific)
*E - Cryptocryne parva: $20 (DENSE 18"x4" patch, representing 4 years of growth, I am reluctant to tear it out of the tank because the substrate is soil but it's a great deal with many hundreds of growths, worth more than $20 but I can't bear to just throw it out after all those years of growth starting from 1 pot!)

***SOLD***Tank #3: 5 gallon planted tank --> entire tank $40
---INDIVIDUALLY---
*Apistogramma eremnopyge male: $6
*Otocinclus: $2
*A - Staurogyne repens: $12 (8"x3" patch, many stems)
*B - Blyxa japonica: $7 (6 heads)
*C - Cryptocryne parva: $12 (12"x2" patch)

***SOLD***Flourish Tabs, 10 tabs per pack, 2 packs available
*$6 each box or $10 for both

Last edited by guits; 06-19-2013 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: update
guits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

I'll take tank #2

I can pick up today.
hedge_fund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

sweet looking apistos .. too bad im not in NY anymore
flukekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks again Albert. I'll post pics once everything settles but for now the tank is filled and filter is running. This was an amazing deal.

Very surprised nobody snatched this up. :-)
Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

So, is the C. parva in tank #3 available?
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
guits
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Thanks again Albert. I'll post pics once everything settles but for now the tank is filled and filter is running. This was an amazing deal.

Very surprised nobody snatched this up. :-)

I hope you enjoy the tank, it's been my project since the first month of my medical residency!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
guits
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
So, is the C. parva in tank #3 available?
I've been asked about the C. parva and Staurogyne in Tank #3 by several people, however the sale of the entire Tank #3 is pending. If that falls through (or if you are able to take entire tank for a better offer) I'll let you know. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guits View Post
I've been asked about the C. parva and Staurogyne in Tank #3 by several people, however the sale of the entire Tank #3 is pending. If that falls through (or if you are able to take entire tank for a better offer) I'll let you know. Thanks!
Ah, alright. Thanks for the heads up.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Here are the pics of the tank that I just picked up from Albert. Still has a another few days before the water is perfectly clear (soil got a little stirred up in the trunk of my car). Someone should scoop up his other tanks!

And the emersed crypt I got from him as well.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (331/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

Wish I got my hands on those bitaeniata!
Let me know when they spawn, I would like a small group!
-G
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #11
guits
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
-G
I caught the Apisto bug every since I started experimenting with planted tanks, I'd like to put out a plug for Aquatic Clarity http://aquaticclarity.com/ if you are willing to invest in the cost and price of shipping for nice wild-caught fish. I've ordered from him twice and was never disappointed, wild-caught Apistos have amazing color and they always bred well for me.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #12
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
-G
Albert's fish are nice! I hope someone purchases his other tanks

Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Hardy85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'm in NY and would love tank 1... I just live in Buffalo
Hardy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
guits
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
I'm in NY and would love tank 1... I just live in Buffalo
If you are an Apisto fan, I highly recommend getting kelleri if you ever see some in your area.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
guits
Algae Grower

I appreciate everyone's responses. Tanks #2 and #3 are sold, I've gotten some interest in Tank#1 but no commitments yet so they are still available. Thanks!