How many of you use LEDs for freshwater?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

How many of you use LEDs for freshwater?

I keep reading about those miracle-latest cry -unbeliavable LEDS.Most reviews I read are almost identical with the adverts.Guy at LFS said they make led fixtures ,and that for my 10 gallon freshwater I would need like a 5 watt one.(Yes ,I know watts don;t count when it comes to LED S ,but I was surprised to see that the planted aquariums on display had either T5 or T8 lights).I may be a non=believer when it comes to LED so I'm asking you nicely fore some feedback-proof of LED doing the job in planted freshwater tanks.I thank you all ,ladies and germs.
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

Welcome to the forum.

Thousands of us use LED fixtures.

Have you checked out some of the tank journals here on the site?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Thousands of us use LED fixtures.

Have you checked out some of the tank journals here on the site?
Ive noticed that most heavily planted tanks use t5 s or very expensive led fixtures.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
water hyacinth
Planted Member

not me that's for sure, have you seen the price lol. If i had the money though i would defently get some LED lighting, loads better than fluorescent tubes. Last ALOT longer, brighter and "better looking" in my opion too (a few friends of mine use LED). Iv'e heard nothing but good about LED, they my cost a packed but the last longer and in the long run cost less.
water hyacinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by water hyacinth View Post
not me that's for sure, have you seen the price lol. If i had the money though i would defently get some LED lighting, loads better than fluorescent tubes. Last ALOT longer, brighter and "better looking" in my opion too (a few friends of mine use LED). Iv'e heard nothing but good about LED, they my cost a packed but the last longer and in the long run cost less.
What kind of led lights?I've also heard good things about them ,and a lot of people say they've heard good things.It's the word "heard" that confuses me ,also the huge gap between prices.....my tank is only 25 cm high and 80 cm long ....but I hesitate to pay money even on a cheap one that doesn't go to deep...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Eeyore
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I just switched my old T8 flo's for a 48" Finnex Fugeray LED and it looks awesome! I've only had it going for a couple of days but I already notice a difference in how perky my plants are. As far as expense, I looked at T5HO and almost everything else available and this LED made the most sense. The completed LED system was only about $10 more than a T5HO system that did NOT include the tubes. When I considered the cost of the fixture, tubes, replacement tubes every 6 months, power usage, etc. LED was definitely the way to go.
55 gal planted community tank, 46 gal Angel tank, 10 gal planted Cherry tank. 10 gal planted tank currently housing 5 juvie Koi Angelfish. Two empty 55 gals, one 20 long cycling for CRS, and a 5 gal waiting to house dwarf crayfish.

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I went LED for a silly reason - my kids would have more fun with the tank if I got this one with a remote to control the RGB - pretend there is a lightning storm, moonlight with clouds, all of that.

However, during school hours the LED doubles as a serious plant grower light via full spectrum stuff, so that's good for a high tech but low light tank.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

LEDs on both myu tanks, finnex Fugerays.

$80 or so for a 30" fixture with super low electric usage and great growth - works for me. (see links in my sig)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
syzygy9
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I had a Finnex Ray2 running for several months on my 36G Bow and had great growth, but I think that one might be a bit much for your tank height.

The Finnex Fugeray or the new Current Freshwater+ may be better candidates, thought the Fugeray might still require CO2.

LED fixtures can cost more up front, but changing bulbs every 9-12 months is a hassle, is not environmentally friendly, and is an ongoing expense that has to be considered.
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
I had a Finnex Ray2 running for several months on my 36G Bow and had great growth, but I think that one might be a bit much for your tank height.

The Finnex Fugeray or the new Current Freshwater+ may be better candidates, thought the Fugeray might still require CO2.

LED fixtures can cost more up front, but changing bulbs every 9-12 months is a hassle, is not environmentally friendly, and is an ongoing expense that has to be considered.
I will also use a glass or plexiglass cover for the tank to prevent fish from jumping and snails go for a walk.It will cut some of the lightntensity maybe.I cannot have much space between lights and tank as there is a painting hanging on the wall above the tank.Maybe I ll look for a classic t8 canopy
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I use LEDs because I wanted a tiny fixture over a big open top. I've also used MH, T5 and PC and they all work just fine and dandy. LEDs are a bit trendy and more expensive up front (and cheaper after a couple bulb changes with other systems), but they grow plants perfectly fine.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
JoeGREEEN
Planted Member

IME with shallow tanks ( <12" ) even the "single bright" type of LED give more than enuff light for low tech plants such as dwarf Sag., moss, java fern ,jungle vals etc.

It's great to see growth in my 15G using less than 8watts
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
Oxl
Planted Member

I recently made the switch from a 36" Odyssey dual T5HO to a 36" Finnex Ray2 - the LED fixture may be more expensive initially but I'll save hundreds by not having to replace T5HO bulbs every 8 months not to mention the great decrease in power consumption. My impression so far is that the Ray2 is as bright or brighter than new t5ho bulbs but the growing power is more like 4-5 month old t5ho bulbs - which is fine as long as it remains constant. My tank temp has dropped about 7 degrees as well without that hot t5ho fixture on my glass topped 40b.
Oxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #14
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

And here I am moving back from t5ho to t8s and still getting lush growth

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
sumer
Hates love!

PTrader: (23/96%)

I use LEDs too.
And they do wonders I swear.
sumer is offline   Reply With Quote