Wild Plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
benjaminleebates
Algae Grower
 
benjaminleebates's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 148
Default

Wild Plants


I am on business in Washington State. I was walking down a path and found a old decorative barrel and it was just full of what looked like christmas moss, fully submerged. I want to harvest a bunch of it for my tank. Can anyone give me advice or links to how to properly prepare the moss so that it doesn't bring harmful bugs or parasites into my tank and doesn't hurt the moss either?
benjaminleebates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
CPDzeke's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 960
Default

Pics? If it is you're lucky. You could try an h2o2 dip, that usually kills pests.
__________________
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Miles's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 418
Default

Yeah, just dip it in a hydrogen peroxide solution for a couple seconds, then rinse it with water. That should do it. But yeah post pics! I'm curious as to what it is, I've never seen anything like that and I live in Washington too.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #4
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Miles's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 418
Default

Just found this on another post:

Found this on another forum;

1) make a solution of 1:21 (bleach:water)
2) make another solution with 3x the recommended amout of chlorine remover
3) dip plants into solution 1 for 25 seconds
4) rinse plants under running water ( i normally do this in the bath due to space and the shower head makes it easier)
5) put them into solution 2.
6) while leaving plants in sloution 2 empty soloution 1 (with the bleach in) and rinse bucket well, add water with 3x the chlorine remover (same as solution 2)
7) rinse under the tap/hose again and place into solution 6
8 ) place into tank and admire your plants
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
benjaminleebates
Algae Grower
 
benjaminleebates's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 148
Default

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...ictureid=31289
This is the pic. And the top of the barrel its growing out of the water, but its grow outward under the water.
benjaminleebates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,436
Default

you can try the bleach dip and then keep it in it's own container, see how it does
__________________

"Freedom is never free."
-Unknown
Live Free or Die
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
Indian fern
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Indian fern's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philippines, Manila
Posts: 589
Default

It looks dead in the pic. Christmas moss are green.
__________________
My day is better whenever I buy a new plant.
Indian fern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
kingjombeejoe's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian fern View Post
It looks dead in the pic. Christmas moss are green.
I would still try it out, mosses can die then come back to life months later.

I have some moss that I found in the wild and the bleach dip didn't kill the bugs. I had to manually remove them. I think the way I finally got rid of them was to change the water everyday with untreated tap water and they slowly died off. The last few got eaten by my killer betta.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012