Can't aquascape, could you do it for me? (evolve 4) DUW*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 06-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
cnoel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Can't aquascape, could you do it for me? (evolve 4) DUW*

I'm starting RCS shrimp tank from the substrate up and would like the expert's help (you guys) with the 'scaping and greenery.
I have an evolve 4, 2 stock lights at my disposal, the driftwood you see in the pictures, black eco-complete substrate, white sand (for a cap if needed).
I have a softball sized portion of java moss that i was thinking about attaching some of it to the top of the driftwood to make it sort of tree-like.
Also a wall of java on the back (if that could look good)?
I have flourish excel to dose with.
(I also have a 20 oz co2 tank that i am trying to find an inexpensive but effective and accurate regulator/valve set up but that probably wont come until later unfortunately just bought a AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini to use)
I am also planning on getting a par meter in the next few weeks so i will know the actual lighting on this thing with 1 or 2 lights, but until then i'm not sure.
Running two of the stock lights it is right about 30 PAR
Im wanting to have a tank without EI ferts.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
TL;DR Version:
Hardware:
Evolve 4
(1 or 2) Stock lights
Paintball CO2 with AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini
stock filter (will modify to reduce flow)
will be adding mesh to overflow to keep shrimp in

Hard scape:
Driftwood (pictured below)
eco-complete black

Fauna:
(6) RCS
(1) Scarlet Badis?

Floura:
Some type of carpet if possible
Help?

Ferts:
Flourish excel
Driftwood side A

Driftwood side B

Last edited by cnoel; 07-02-2013 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: pics added, more info
cnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

cleaning the glass is going to be a pain unless you have snails getting the green dust algae off. I always try to have a gap between hardscapes and the glass for using your magnet cleaner or scrapper.
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

I like your driftwood standing up like that a lot. you should place the other one towards the back right or possibly underneath the other one. I think it looks great as is.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
cnoel
Algae Grower

thanks for the feedback, i didnt think about algae. any suggestions for the flora?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you do Java Moss at the top of that driftwood with it standing that close to the filter intake, you'll cliff your filter with the moss. I'd put the driftwood on the right if I were going to use the Java Moss as you described.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

What does the wood look like rotated 90 degrees with the bottom you show toward the back corner and the thinner bits on top? I think some spirally plants weaving through the wood could look awesome.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
cnoel
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post
If you do Java Moss at the top of that driftwood with it standing that close to the filter intake, you'll cliff your filter with the moss. I'd put the driftwood on the right if I were going to use the Java Moss as you described.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
oh good point, i do plan to put some kind of mesh over it in order to keep the shrimp out also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
What does the wood look like rotated 90 degrees with the bottom you show toward the back corner and the thinner bits on top? I think some spirally plants weaving through the wood could look awesome.
not sure exactly which direction you meant (maybe im just tired) so i took a few more views and added them to the OP.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

I like 1 and 7 as far as verticle and horzontal options. With option 1 you could add some small rocks to help breakup the open space or go with a carpet. Really nice piece of driftwood though! Should make for a nice scape
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

7 is most like what I had in mind. Imagine something like a val wall behind it and a few clumps of blyxa or small crytps in front.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like number 7 the most. I think you could put a little rock in the back right to lift the wood up and you've got the angle of the driftwood just great. id use any natural colour sand and plant some carpet plant infront of the drift wood with some vals or crytps behind it
good luck
Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
cnoel
Algae Grower

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
7 is most like what I had in mind. Imagine something like a val wall behind it and a few clumps of blyxa or small crytps in front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsedude View Post
I like number 7 the most. I think you could put a little rock in the back right to lift the wood up and you've got the angle of the driftwood just great. id use any natural colour sand and plant some carpet plant infront of the drift wood with some vals or crytps behind it
good luck
Thank you both, I like that idea of angling it with a rock or something. I wish i could have some type of vertical aspect to it but i guess that is where the vals or something similar come in.

I just threw it all in the tank real quick and put an established filter on it because i am going out of town for a week and the person watching the house wont do very well taking care of the shrimp in the holding tank i had them in. That and i figured this thread had died. I think end the end i am going to go with #7 sloping down toward the front left of the tank. (but am still open to suggestions!)
If my new par meter i got today works properly then i will know better what kind of plants will do well in the tank.
I have a second evolve 4 that i will use to be the final version when i get back.

I would love some more suggestions on the plants but that would probably come when i know what PAR i have! I really appreciate the help. I want this tank to be a work of art not just something thrown together haphazardly.

Last edited by cnoel; 07-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I like number 2, but rotate the back wood 45 degrees to the right so that it's pointing toward the front wood. Number 2 gives the tank some depth.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #13
cnoel
Algae Grower

With the meter I have it shows between 25-30 PAR throughout the tank.

And this is the temp tank while I'm gone for a week. I WILL be redoing this once I get back. They just needed a home for a few days. Sorry for the poor quality of the "swamp" but like I said it's just for a few days while I'm out of town.

Last edited by cnoel; 07-02-2013 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Pics