I<3<*))))>< 's Learning Experience (Rescape - 9/13)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

I<3<*))))>< 's Learning Experience (Rescape - 9/13)

A little late, but better late than never!!!

I decided to get back into fish around Tax Return time this year. That's when I bought all the supplies and started cycling.

FTS as of September 13th

Before the rescape...

Equipment
Fluval Flora Tank
13W 6,400K Compact Fluorescent
Rapids Mini Canister Filter
Hydor Theo Heater 50w

Substrate & Hardscape
1st Layer Laterite Clay (1/4')
Fluval Plant Stratum
Basic natural looking gravel
Molapani Driftwood
random black stones

Flora
Anchor Moss
Anubias Nana Petite
Potamogeton gayi
Dwarf lily (might have bucthered it when I trimmed... time will tell)
limnophila sessiliflora
hygro sunset
hydrocotyle

Fauna
Tiger Endlers
Hi-red Endlers
Chili Endlers
Ginga Rubra Guppies
Picta Crosses
Mystery Fry????
2 Julii Cory cats
3 Mystery Snails (2 pink/1 purple)
1 Amano Shrimp

Equipment
Picotope 3g Aquarium
Stock Lighting (9w)
Stock filter

Substrate & Hardscape
Crushed Coral Gravel
Random Smooth River rocks

Flora
Crypt Parva
Cambodia
Java, Anchor & Mystery Mosses
Marimo Moss balls

Fauna
Cherry - Painted Fire Red Grade shrimp
Trapdoor snail
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by I<3<*))))><; 09-14-2013 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: edited stock
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had some issues with the Bacopa coming unplanted and it had some die off. So I pulled it all up, trimmed and went to replant.... only it wouldn't stay in down!!!! Ugh, was sooo annoying. I now have much less Bacopa so I'll try & remember to get a full tank shot this weekend.

Besides that the only issues I'm having atm are trying to keep my PH stable. It has been flucutating. I'd rather not having to keep using PH Up.

And my Molapni wood still has some white fuzz growing on it. It was COVERED when the tank cycled originally. Then when I re-scaped I took it out, cleaned it... and the white fuzz it back! Dun, dun dun!!!!

From what I've read it's safe, just unsightly, so hoping that is completely gone within the next week or so.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I've got the white fuzz on my driftwood, too. I keep picking up my trumpet snails and putting them on it to eat it, but they only pick at it and then scoot off elsewhere. They've only been in the tank for 24 hours, though, so I haven't given them any time.

My understanding is also that it is harmless, and will run its course and go away with time. I think the fungus just likes newly cleaned wood.

I love all the detail pics! The filters give it such an enchanted feeling.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good idea with the snails! My amano's pick at it, but not enough... or maybe I don't have enough amano's :P

Thanks so much!
Yep, gotta love instagram... that's where I took most of them from. I so need to get a decent camera and quit using my phone.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm still having to add some PH Up daily to keep the PH stabalized. It keeps wanting to fall to 6.0 or under, 6.0 is as low as my test kit reads.

And the Bacopa Carolina and I are NOT getting along any better. I have maybe 6 stems, out of 20, still planted. Ugh. I'm activly looking for some Rotala rotundifolia to replace it.

Besides that all the critters and other plants are doing well. I might take some pics later today, if not today... soon!
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
clunkified
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looks like a good start.

I have a Fluval Flora too and I canned the stock CO2 setup and added DIY CO2 with a Hagen ladder. I dose Excel (daily) and Fluourish (bi-weekly) along with the CO2 and everything is doing really well.

I also didn't like how dim the light was with the stock fixture and I wanted to be able to grow higher light plants without them melting or in the case of red plants, losing their color. So I added a Finnex 12" Fugeray along with the stock light. Everything really pops with the brighter light anyways. Check the link in my sig.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks!

I thought about upgrading my lighting to a Finnex, read all sorts of great things about em on here. But I don't want to be bothered with CO2 on this tank.
I'd like to be able to focus on grasping everything else a lil bit better before tackling that.

I do want to get a 2nd 13w Fluval Fixture though...
With 2 of those running on my Flora would I need CO2? I plan to stick to low/med light plants, but want them to be able to obtain good growth. So far the only plant I actaully see growth from is the drawf lily. Which grows crazy fast, hehe.

I took out the rest of the Bacopa Carolina today. Fed up, awoke to more stems floating. They're now in the betta bowl with other random plant bits. I really should clean that up tomorrow.

I got some Rotala rotundifolia & possibly a few other random low light plants from a user here coming sometime this week. Hoping I'll see them tomorrow.
Oh also my water lettuce might be here then!!! It'd be perfect timing, water change is due for tomorrow.

Update on the shrimp coming in as well, they got shipped out today!! So Im expecting 15+ Fire Reds Thursday hopefully, along with a tad of willow moss and dried bee pollen. Said it was their favorite food.

What do you all feed your shrimp? ATM mine are getting Fluval shrimp pellets and having them scavenge. Course right now it's only the 3 amano & 1 orange neo. I'm thinking they deserve better nutrition than pellets though...
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

... We have shrimp!!!

Juvi Fire Red Shrimp to be exact! Got em in the mail today, bought em off Colorful, who was amazing to work with.

I snapped some pics of them while being acclimated & a few in the Betta's Picotope.

No worries, Master Shredder (the betta) is angry with me and is in my spare Picotope for now. I didn't want to risk putting the shrimplets in with my Badis until they get a tad bigger. So musical tanks it was!! lol

I did clean the tank up yesterday, water change, cleaned the filter and substrate ect ect, but not the glass. I tried, lol... its really stuck on alage. My scrubber wouldn't work. Any suggestions on a scraper would be awesome, I'm a bit worried with the glass curving in the front even that might not cut it.

I also realized I didn't plant my Cyrpt Parva ideally, so I took that up, seperated it and replanted. I like how it looks much better now & should grow better. I even had some extra to put in the Pico.

I have an empty gap in there.... that will be filled with Rotala rotundifolia since my Bacopa wasn't a fan of the Fluval Stratum. I should be getting that in tomorrow.

Still awaiting my Water Lettuce, sometime the USPS just sucks.. lol... for lack of a better word. The package is in my city today, but didn't get delivered, even though my shrimp came. Curious... hrmmmm. Well just hope the Water Lettuce still arrives in half decent shape.

I'll end with a few pics of the tank.

Oh btw... you may see some dog hair in there. I have two extremely fluffy Australian Shepherds, and have open topped tanks. Not smart
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by I<3<*))))><; 06-20-2013 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: edited out extra pic
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Oh btw... you may see some dog hair in there. I have two extremely fluffy Australian Shepherds, and have open topped tanks. Not smart
Lol no worries you're not the only one that has animal stuff in their tanks, somehow my cats keep adding sparkles into mine. Fish keep trying to eat them >.>
Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hah glad I'm not alone Sake, now I'm not nearly as embarassed as I was originally :P
Curious though, were do you cats get sparkles from, lol
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by I<3<*))))><; 06-20-2013 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I made a quick (and kinda crappy, lol) vid of my new shrimplets! Click the youtube link below to watch!

New Fire Shrimplets - YouTube

Oh and ignore all the "directed by" and such at the end... my 1st time trying to edit a video, and I failed.

Last edited by I<3<*))))><; 06-21-2013 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #12
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Me thinks you are having entirely too much fun with these shrimp! Glad you're enjoying them Enter your name here.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Me thinks you are having entirely too much fun with these shrimp! Glad you're enjoying them Enter your name here.
Yes, yes I am sir, lol. How could I not be having fun with such awesome lil buddies.
And it's Stephanie

Also I met an awesome user earlier, ravensgate, who is sending me some goodies for my new shrimplets! The people here are amazing... for real. I've been here not even 2 weeks, heck maybe not even a week & already so many here have helped me so much.

I can't wait till my tanks are growing out plants and maybe even baby shrimplets of my own, so I can give back.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
And it's Stephanie
Sorry was pokin fun at ya for your video editing lol.
Quote:
Also I met an awesome user earlier, ravensgate
Yeah she's good people, they all, they remember what it is to be new, and do so much for everyone. Some of the RAOK are just freakin awesome. Mods are great here and so are the members, although you'll find some posts with "use the search" answers, most are fully answered or the people do the searches for them. Takes alot for people to answer the same questions day after day, but they do it with a smile. I came from another forum and let me tell you this, this place makes you feel like family, and makes me feel like an elementary school kid freakin geniuses running round here!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No need to be sorry, poke away. I didn't get the joke at 1st, but do now... haha. Was a crap vid all around, but I didn't care... why? Cos I has shrimplets, wahoo!
I swear I'm not always this immature.. just really excited it all, lol

Ya, I'm glad I joined THIS forum. I've been on other forums where ppl aren't this helpful, friendly, knowledgeable... this place has regained my faith in the interwebz.
But ya, I can't wait till I can start giving back here & have more useful comments then 'wow, so pretty'.

So where's your tank(s), you've seen mine, I wanna see yours!!!
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Tags
endlers, fluval flora, guppy, low tech, nano