Shrimp zombie
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
rah-bop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Shrimp zombie

Something really weird just happened and I need to share this with someone who understands shrimp or I may explode.

Last night one of my crystal shrimp fell over dead for no apparent reason. I noticed it when it had just started dying -- it was on its side, with its legs all outstretched and twitching a little. Nobody was harassing it yet so I thought the least I could do for it was to let it die peacefully without anyone eating its face. I transferred it to a tiny plastic cup and let it float at the surface while I tested the water. There was nothing amiss with the tank... all parameters were normal and stable, I haven't changed or added anything recently, and everyone else in the tank looked healthy and busy. I couldn't find anything wrong with the tank but I did a small water change for good luck and left home to do some errands.

After a few hours I came back home and the shrimp was lying on its side in the cup with its legs all curled up like a bug, looking extra dead. Normally I would have thrown the shrimp away but I was in a hurry to get dinner started so I left it there.

After dinner I took a look at it and it was sitting up, looking normal. What. I changed the water in the cup and the swirling water knocked it off its feet but it righted itself every time. I also saw it grooming itself and swimming weakly.

I left it over night. I expected it to be dead again this morning but sure enough it was looking fine! I changed the water in the cup and it flipped out and LEAPT out of the cup and into the tank. Since then I've seen it preening and foraging like normal. You'd never know that less than 24 hours ago it was dead in a cup.

WHAT THE HECK

Did my shrimp just have a seizure or something? What did I witness?!?!

I named it Lazarus. It ran off into the tank somewhere and I don't know where it is. I hope it doesn't bite any of the other shrimp.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
thelub

PTrader: (12/100%)

Good question. I've experienced some similar activity with my PFR's and its really bugging me. Same story. Nothing has changed except the shrimp acting very strangely with the same activity that you are seeing.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
rah-bop
Algae Grower

Just out of curiosity, are you using any ferts or excel?

I have been using a little Flourish and Excel in very small doses (1/2 dose every other day) for a few months without problems. A week ago I stopped both. I feel like if anything were going to happen it should have happened earlier, when I was actively dosing, but what do I know?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (86/100%)

I have had this happen in a tank I saved most shrimp. I think it got a ammonia spike from the soil that kind of gasses the. And they losses function. That is my thought as that is what it seemed in mine, then I moved mine to another tank and they all slowly came back

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
thelub

I don't use any ferts of any kind in my shrimp tank. All I have right now is a small layer of sand and floaters.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Low oxygen does that. How much surface agitation do you have?
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
thelub

Thank you mordalphus, I think thats the problem. I have a sponge filter with a heavy cover of frogbit that may be impeding O2 exchange.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
rah-bop
Algae Grower

I don't know if O2 is a problem in my case... My canister filter's spraybar agitates the surface a lot. I also have a 10" long airstone (this is a 10-gallon tank) that I let run all night. During the day the undersides of all my plants are covered in bubbles.

Well, just in case, I'll let my airstone run all day today too.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Ahh, but could be not from a lack of oxygen in the water, but a lack of oxygen in the shrimps blood... Aka it could be co2, ammonia, etc which damage gills.

I wouldn't worry a whole lot unless it starts happening to other shrimp. It could have damaged it's gills during its last molt or something. But it might be a little more 'special' after all of this lack of oxygen
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
zdnet
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-bop View Post
Something really weird just happened and I need to share this with someone who understands shrimp or I may explode.

Last night one of my crystal shrimp fell over dead for no apparent reason. I noticed it when it had just started dying -- it was on its side, with its legs all outstretched and twitching a little. Nobody was harassing it yet so I thought the least I could do for it was to let it die peacefully without anyone eating its face. I transferred it to a tiny plastic cup and let it float at the surface while I tested the water. There was nothing amiss with the tank... all parameters were normal and stable, I haven't changed or added anything recently, and everyone else in the tank looked healthy and busy. I couldn't find anything wrong with the tank but I did a small water change for good luck and left home to do some errands.

After a few hours I came back home and the shrimp was lying on its side in the cup with its legs all curled up like a bug, looking extra dead. Normally I would have thrown the shrimp away but I was in a hurry to get dinner started so I left it there.

After dinner I took a look at it and it was sitting up, looking normal. What. I changed the water in the cup and the swirling water knocked it off its feet but it righted itself every time. I also saw it grooming itself and swimming weakly.

I left it over night. I expected it to be dead again this morning but sure enough it was looking fine! I changed the water in the cup and it flipped out and LEAPT out of the cup and into the tank. Since then I've seen it preening and foraging like normal. You'd never know that less than 24 hours ago it was dead in a cup.

WHAT THE HECK

Did my shrimp just have a seizure or something? What did I witness?!?!
I have seen that happened to shrimp that had just molted. If a shrimp does not have enough energy reserve, it will be very tough to go through the starvation required for molting. Right after getting out from a molt, such a shrimp may not have even the strength to stand up. But if it is allowed to rest for an extended period of time, it will eventually recover.
zdnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #11
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Most important question is.... did it start moaning about brains?
Clemsons2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #12
zdnet
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
???
zdnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 02:53 AM   #13
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post

Anyway, I can say that I've not witnessed this in any of my shrimp tanks, however I will say that I have some type of air pump driven thing in each tank whether its a bubble strip, air stones, sponge filters etc...
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
Michael T
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

The Fraternity of Dirt #130
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/96%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t View Post
lmao

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.