Lullafishi's 40 Gallon Adventure - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #31
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

The tank is looking great chicka! Can NOT wait to see all the cories swimming about. Theyre sooooo fun!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #32
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

AWESOME 40B!!!!

Stand is very nice too! Cat is very Beautiful!

Subscribed, as I want to see this tank mature!

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #33
pseudomugil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

looks great!
I wish I could have a tank as large as a 40b, I am confined to no larger than a 20 long.

your tank is gorgeous! your tetras will be very happy
pseudomugil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #34
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Thanks for the kind words!

Here is an updated tank shot:

The plants are continuing to grow well. Some minor changes: I thinned the moss and spread it out on the driftwood; tied the leftover moss to SS mesh screens; glued some fissidens to a rock (it's a really dark green clump at the fork of the large wood); and otherwise have been neglecting it a bit in terms of aquascaping. The back wall of plants is a bit of a jungle that could use some shaping, I just haven't had the time to really devote to it this past month.

I tried going two weeks without a water change, but the water got pretty dirty from some dead and dying new dwarf sag plantlets that didn't fare well in shipping to me. I was hoping they'd recover, but unfortunately I only managed to save a few small ones out of a large group. I also recently noticed a few small white worms on the glass (couldn't tell if they were nematodes or planaria) and a bunch tiny little bugs that swarmed in a few areas on the glass (see photo). I did a massive water change but they were back the next day.

Anyone know what these are? They're too tiny for me to really make out any key characteristics other than what you see in the photo.

Annnnd I released my kerri tetras from quarantine and into the tank! Well, five of them anyway. one is still recovering in quarantine after taking a beating from two strong doses of flubendazole and nipping from his tankmates. Here's to hoping he makes a speedy recovery and joins the school next week.

I really enjoy these tetras and I'm hoping the males will color up even more once they become comfortable in a planted tank. It's a lot of fun to see them flash at the females to impress them.

^ female

^ male

^ both females

^ male

^ male

My lone guppy isn't quite sure what to make of the newcomers. He was pretty excited at first but changed his mind when the kerris got territorial at feeding time. He prefers the top of the water column anyway.

lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #35
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, your tank is looking great!!! Jealous.. wish mine looked half as good :P

Those tetras are amazing, where'd you get them? Also love your guppy! He almost seems to have an extended half moon tail, like on betta's. I really am a fan of em!

Not sure on the lil bugs... but could they be copepods perhaps?
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #36
green terror
Algae Grower

Hey Lulla is that the Finnex fuge light?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
green terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
Wow, your tank is looking great!!! Jealous.. wish mine looked half as good :P

Those tetras are amazing, where'd you get them? Also love your guppy! He almost seems to have an extended half moon tail, like on betta's. I really am a fan of em!

Not sure on the lil bugs... but could they be copepods perhaps?
Thanks! I got the kerri tetras from my LFS. They seem to stock them fairly regularly. I never would have known about them except they caught my eye when I was peeking into all their tanks. The guppy came from the same LFS and was labeled as blue, but he's more half-black with a purple-blue iridescent sheen to his body. It's hard to see in the two photos, but he also has a orangish spot on his side.

I don't think they're copepods. These look completely smooth and have a worm-like shape to them instead of being round or oval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green terror View Post
Hey Lulla is that the Finnex fuge light
Yes, it's the 36" Finnex Fugeray.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #38
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Your tank is amazing. But your cat stole my heart....she's so sweet looking chasing bubbles.

Thanks for sharing.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #39
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bringing home 12 corydoras habrosus today! Pretty excited for these cute little buggers. I'm hoping their school is large enough to encourage them to come out and play all the time once they're through quarantine.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #40
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmm, def don't sound like copepods then? You ever figure out what they are?

Eeeee, cory schools are prolly one of my favorite things to watch in a tank! I can not wait to see em in yours. They're gonna love thier new home!
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #41
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
Hmm, def don't sound like copepods then? You ever figure out what they are?

Eeeee, cory schools are prolly one of my favorite things to watch in a tank! I can not wait to see em in yours. They're gonna love thier new home!
I posted asking about what they were and someone said they're just harmless little worms that show up in uncycled tanks, tanks going through a mini-cycle, or tanks that have been overfed. I think they showed up in mine because I had a lot of dead and decaying plant matter, hence a degree of "overfeeding".

They've decreased in population quite a bit. I was hoping my fish would eat them but they haven't shown interest. I bet your badis would eat them!

The cories are so itty bitty and adorable. I fondly call them the 'bros' and pretend they are all in a fraternity, haha.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #42
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not having great luck with fish lately, both in and out of quarantine. I lost one cory suddenly last week and then the smallest juvenile cory died early this week from some sort of gill disease. Hoping it's not contagious for the remaining ten in quarantine.

One of my male kerri tetras is being treated with acriflavine-MS and salt in a hospital tank for a nasty open lesion on his gill cover. He's acting fine and eating but I'm still not sure about the diagnosis or his fate.

And then this morning I found my favorite and most colorful male kerri dried up on the floor. :c I've never seen them jump before so I had my glass lid off to keep the water from over-heating from the heat wave here. Won't do that again. I guess I also now know that my cats won't eat the fish.

So now in my display tank I'm down to one healthy male kerri, one healthy female kerri, one female kerri with a curving spine, one genetically stunted female kerri, two Amano shrimp I rarely see since adding the tetras, and a guppy that hasn't posed a problem since being moved to the display tank.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #43
fishtank
Algae Grower

Great tank!

Im in the process of setting up a very similar 40b though at this point I have a lot less plants! What is your dosing schedule like? Do you use anything other then the root tabs you mentioned?
fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #44
m4rty mcf1y

beautiful tank!
m4rty mcf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #45
Disher
Planted Member

What an enjoyable thread to follow! Great setup, can't wait to see it filled with your wish list of fish!
Disher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40 breeder, 40b, journal