Lullafishi's 40 Gallon Adventure - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looking awesome! Love your cat too! So cute!
iLOVEnanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Official list of new plants that were added:

More ludwigia repens x arcuata
More water sprite
Mayaca fluviatilis
Hydrocolyte 'japan'
Clinopodium brownei
Alternanthera reineckii
Hygrophila corymbosa (Green Temple)
Java fern: regular, narrow leaf, and needle leaf
Java moss mixed with christmas moss
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

What a nice combo pack ya got! Got a new favorite yet?
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
What a nice combo pack ya got! Got a new favorite yet?
Isn't it?! OVT is the best.

My favorites right now are the Alternanthera reineckii (so pink and colorful!) and the Limnophila aquatica (love the soft texture of this plant). But I also adore my dwarf sag, the HC, and the Green Temple plant (Hygro corymbosa) because they offer such a different visual shape/texture in contrast with the other stem plants.

Unfortunately my dwarf sag is yellowing and melting at the tips. I've got dry fertilizers on the way, so I'm hoping this remedies the problem so it can flourish. I want a nice grassy bed around the wood base!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

The Reineckii is gorgeous! If only my lighting could handle those lovely reddish plants... One day.

I too am loving my Limnophila, mine is growing crazy fast, how about yours? I've been thinking of trying my hand at some drawf sag. I think I'll hold off till I see if you get yours to recover. Good luck with it BTW.
A lot of plants have been hit or miss with me so far. I don't wanna try anything too demanding just yet.

Agree on the Green Temple.. very cool vibe it gives off! HC is always loved!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Your tank is looking Great.
I wish I took the time to make my 40b stand as nice as yours. Those drawers and shelves are more handy than people think.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

My lighting is borderline low-medium, so we'll see what colored plants I can get away with (and more importantly, if I can get away with no algae problems!). So far the Reineckii is still nice and bright! The R. Macranda is more brown than red, but there are a few new spots of growth that are bright so I'm curious to see what it does.

I've got ferts coming in this week. Hoping that will take care of the yellowing in my dwarf sag and some pinholes I've been getting in my ludwigia and hygro. I'll let you know how the dwarf sag does so you can decide if you want to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
Your tank is looking Great.
I wish I took the time to make my 40b stand as nice as yours. Those drawers and shelves are more handy than people think.
Thanks! When I was asked if I wanted shelves and a drawer I thought, sure, why not? Now I can't imagine not having them and I'm considering adding another shelf! They add so much storage for all the little things... test kits, nets and tongs, siphons, extra equipment, fish food...
Old 07-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

My plants have grow quite a bit over the last 3 weeks so I'll be updating the photo soon.

But the most exciting news is that I was able to, at long last, buy my first fish from my stock list! I took home 6 kerri tetras (Inpaichthys kerri) that are being drip acclimated for my quarantine tank right now. I fell in love with these guys after seeing them at my LFS last month, and they won against Harlequin rasboras for my 'must-have'. I currently have three males and three females, and I look forward to adding to their numbers once I know these guys are doing well.

I also took home two amano shrimp, who are happily exploring the 40b. I'm pretty excited to have something other than snails to watch in there. And they're pretty excited to have real plants and an entire 40 gallon tank to explore.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Pictures, where are the pictures?!

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #25
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haha, you're right, I said I'd take a new photo last week! I'll take one tonight or tomorrow night. They turn out better when the rest of the room is dark.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #26
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Photo update time! The technical qualities of this photo look like crap compared to my last one, so I'll have to play with my camera settings and try again a different night. But you get the gist. Sorry if it hurts your eyes as much as it's hurting mine, haha.

It's been almost a month since the last FTS and the plants have really been filling in nicely. I've trimmed the ludwigia and re-planted the tops twice. The dwarf sag was having some decay and BBA issues, so at OVT's suggestion I pulled them up, trimmed the rotting old roots that was causing the problem, and re-planted. I'm still waiting for it to really take off, but they all have healthy roots now and haven't been melting since the root treatment. No more algae on them, either!

My red tiger lotus lost all leaves while adjusting, but it now has five healthy leaves that are slooooooowly getting larger. It seems to be a slow grower and I'm still waiting for it to peek up between the driftwood, but it's getting direct light from above and looks happy.

I started noticing some staghorn algae on a few leaves and some BBA on my spray bar, but a few spot treatments of Excel have cleared it up. I have been dosing Excel every other day and dry fertilizers on a weekly low-light/EI regime.

I also moved the spray bar over to the left side to improve my water circulation.

Still figuring out what I want to do with the left side. I'm thinking of getting rid of the large round rock in the left back and trying to decide on a foreground plant to create a visual hierarchy for that chaos. I'm hoping my Alternanthera reineckii will continue to grow and propagate so I can bring some of that gorgeous pink over to the other side.

I just tied the moss on to the driftwood today, but I'm not pleased with the placement. It doesn't look natural to me. I'll have to look at some examples to mimic how and where moss would grow naturally. I'm trying to avoid covering up too much of the wood because I like the contrast of the dark wood against the green background.

In fauna-related news, one of my Amano shrimp pranked me into thinking he had died... until I realized it was a molt. My lone guppy is having the time of his life reigning over the snails and trying to eat/play with the Amanos, whom have been named Bubba and Forrest by my husband.

Last edited by lullafishi; 07-20-2013 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: fixed image
Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #27
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

the moss will never look natural until it attaches and starts growing, no matter where you place it. gotta be patient with moss

Nice jungle though!
jargonchipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #28
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm sure you're right and that's contributing to it! I think another part of my problem with the moss is that it ends so abruptly and isn't repeated anywhere else. I'll have to attach a small amount to another spot.

It's a mixture of java moss and another kind. Will it grow upward or will it creep along? I don't have any prior experience with moss so not sure what to expect.

I'm also becoming more and more keen with the idea of planting a bunch of dwarf sag between and around the rocks on the left side.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #29
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

That's a nice green jungle ,(happy).
Don't worry about the lotus: it will take off, all the way to the surface. The moss will creep along the wood and then spread out, drooping a bit. Enjoy it now as in a couple in months at will be all over the tank. Same goes for the sag.

Looks like time for some fins. Somehow, I see a lot of corys in that tank.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good to know, OVT!

You can bet there will be plenty of cories. Those open sandy spots were designed with them in mind. I've got some kerri tetras in QT right now, but I want to get a large school of corydoras habrosus and 4-5 of a non-dwarf cory breed.

Tags
40 breeder, 40b, journal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.