125 gallon O____O
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla

125 gallon O____O

There are so many options with a 125, I don't even know where to begin! SO MANY OPTIONS.

I bought the tank, stand and canopy for $100 shortly after moving to Germany. I just couldn't say no and I begged and pleaded with my husband. He relented awfully fast...I'm sure he was already planning what he could "trade" me for. Probably a motorcycle.

The tank had some build up and had been sitting unused for a few years. The glass center brace is awful. The stand and canopy color is not my cup of tea, so I am looking into sanding and re-staining, but I'll probably just sand and paint(and add knobs/handles).

So far I have spent about two hours scraping off hard water stains and residue. Oh fun. But now it's clear when filled, so I am done lol.

The tank is sitting on my patio for it's leak test. It's been about 24 hours now an no leaks so far. I'm going to start painting the back tomorrow, provided it's still leak free. I will cry if it springs a leak.
Pixie, my size comparison dog, is not too sure about all the hubbub over a big box of water.

I'm thinking a four foot 3 bulb T-5 raised up in the canopy will give me what I am looking for light wise.
Plants will be mainly swords, crypts, anubias, ferns and maybe mosses. Floating plants like water lettuce, maybe hyacinth. Lots of wood. I want that semi-shadowy river look.
Since shipping white powder is majorly frowned upon to military APO boxes, I am hoping to find powdered ferts locally. But the language barrier is making that a tad hard.

Current Conundrums:
1. Substrate- Black Diamond vs Safe T Sorb
I've used both, and like both! I'll have to get my mom to flat-rate ship them to me(priority boxes to APO box haha). I prefer the black sand, but I would like to have fert retention. Flourish Black sand and the likes are of the question, cost-wise it would kill me. I'm sure there are a few options locally, but once again, that pesky language barrier.

2. Filtration and circulation- I'm looking at getting an Eheim Professional3 350 for actual filtration and then just using a powerhead or two to increase water movement. Or is a second canister really better...?

3. Fish! I know I want a school of cories or botia/loach. And I am thinking 3 pretty large schools of fairly different tetra/rasbora, but that is as far as I can manage. I think rasbora het, emperor tetra and gold tetra would looks great together. There are just so many options! I do really miss my female betta sorority, but I think I will do that with my 40 gallon breeder.

I'm going to go spazz out a bit more, I still can't believe it's mine!
Aubzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

subscribed, can't wait to see how it goes.

Just one thing, I have a 125 and find two middle swimming schools plenty, but I do keep larger tetras so that would make a difference.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I was on the fence about two or three. Hets and Golds are about a inch or so, sometimes 1.5 for the Golds, while the Emperors are larger. So, I dunno if three larger schools would be too much. I would rather have two larger happy schools than three large "meh" schools.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

if your gonna leave the tank there to leak test, make sure its on something totally flat, if those bricks are uneven, it will put pressure points on the tank and crack it.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
sadchevy
Planted Member

You are gonna love having all that space. You are gonna hate all the options you have LOL. I have a 125 I am redoing and the choices are limitless. I wish you well in your adventure and will be following along to see the progress.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
if your gonna leave the tank there to leak test, make sure its on something totally flat, if those bricks are uneven, it will put pressure points on the tank and crack it.
It's flat, checked with a level. Under the cobbles sand and then a cement pad.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
sadchevy
Planted Member

any updates?
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

Grave digging, that's for sure! But here is an update!

The tank was water tight! I even let it sit for a week. It was hard keeping the dog out of it when she went outside though haha.

I painted the back black and it's siting in my livingroom 75% ready to be set up. All I need now is lighting and substrate. I still haven't decided between natural or black sand, or JBL Mandano substrate(which is Fluorite-like but shaped like Amazonia). Filter, heater and powerheads are all sitting where they will be installed.

My husband says that it is quite sad that the tank is bigger than the TV. Which I am pretty sure was a hint that we need a bigger TV lol. Too bad, so sad for him- I am looking for a good cabinet piece for the stand though as the stand it is on now if just what the military gives as temporary furniture. But, I'm not having much luck on finding just the right size, as I want it to fill the rest of that space, but also put the tv about the same level as the tank.

Since the tile in the house isn't level and how the stand is built, I bought a large piece of wood to put under the stand to shim instead of just shimming the stand. Which cost a small fortune here, ugh. The piece is too long, but I have nothing to cut it with and the stores here don't do cuts for you. Womp, womp. I do have a dremel, but I feel like it would take me all day haha. And there might be a small handsaw in the basement, but none of our garage stuff has been unpacked yet as we have no shelving down there.

I am still looking for someone to make a more modern stand and canopy for me as this one just doesn't do it for me. I'm thinking either a metal or 2x4ish skeleton and then skinning it in bitch board, using french cleats so the sides can all just lift up and off. But I haven't found anyone to do it yet. I have asked my landlord if he knows of any carpenters and he is looking, but he doesn't think any of them would speak english, so I would also have to convince someone to translate for me haha. Oh, the perils of living in a country where you are very very very basic in their language skills...
I would make my own, and I have before(2x4 skeleton, anyway), but I just don't feel comfortable with such a large and heavy tank. The 40 breeder stand I made was nerve-wracking enough for me.

So yeah, that is where it is now. So close, yet so far haha.
I'm still planning on low light, with lots of swords, crypts and anubias. I would like a large school of gold tetras with a hoard of anglicus botia. I'll prolly throw in some marble hatchets for the top. A smattering of livebearers, mainly platys. Then a few pairs/trios of larger centerpiece fish like pearl gourami or dwarf cichlids. I'll prolly end up with one nice angel- a platinum or koi. There will be a few randoms, I am sure haha. I'll have a few bristlenoses as well, as I am "tank sitting" a breeding pair with 70-odd babies ranging from newborn to about 2.5 inches.

Ma and Pa-

Bucket 'o babies-
Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

Little update- I found someone to make a new stand and canopy skeleton for me!
Only downside is that none of the local lumber shops keep nice quality veneer on hand, it is all special ordered. So now I have to decide what I want to go with and wait a week or two for it to come in. I think I am not going to bother with the french cleats and just completely skin the front and sides of the stand. Where the tank is for now(and the next 3 years), I have a 2.5 foot alleyway behind it so I can do all technical maintenance from the back. I'm not sure if I will do the same with the canopy or not. It will be light enough to just take on and off, but as 6 feet long it is a bit cumbersome for me to take off alone. I'd just have to wait to siphon/rearrange when my husband is home, I guess lol.

Facebook killed the quality, but its just the basic rainbow-plan DIY build.

I picked up two large chunks of driftwood as well as a few plants and fish the past week. Everyone is hanging out in the 40 breeder with the pleco hoard- 5 female guppies and 15 gold tetra. Once the 125 is up and running with the guppies and golds transferred, I am going to buy 15 more golds to stick in the 10 gallon for their quarantine.

Since the golds are so small, I am going to add the majority of them first, before moving into adding the other fishso that they have a bit of time to grow and learn all the best hiding places. I'm thinking I'd like 70-ish of the golds along with a handful or three of guppies and platys(I just love the damned things!). I'm hoping for a group of 6ish angelicus botia, but they don't seem to be a popular botia out here, along with 10ish cory(haven't decided on who yet!). I'd then like to add a trio of Pearl gourami and then eventually a single stunning angel. I'm sure there will be odds and ends added as I go thru the stores here though haha.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ur tank is gonna turn into a tv.. its way bigger than ur actual tv n im sure will b more interesting to watch
izabella87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I love your dogs coat what breed (mix) are they? Look forward to seeing future tank progression ^^
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Aww man! If I had that sized tank in my house. There are endless possibilities when it comes to tanks larger than 100g. I's probably turn it into a paludarium, african cichlid tank, or a heavily planted tank.
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by izabella87 View Post
ur tank is gonna turn into a tv.. its way bigger than ur actual tv n im sure will b more interesting to watch
No, it just means my husband will ask for a larger tv...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I love your dogs coat what breed (mix) are they? Look forward to seeing future tank progression ^^
She's a Whippet and Border Collie mix. They're commonly mixed for dog sports like agility and fly ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Aww man! If I had that sized tank in my house. There are endless possibilities when it comes to tanks larger than 100g. I's probably turn it into a paludarium, african cichlid tank, or a heavily planted tank.
I know! It's taken so much thought and I have changed my mind often. But once I found gold tetras out here, the deal was done.

The monster is kinda sorta on hold again- or at least buying more things for it is. I am bringing home a standard poodle puppy much sooner than I had anticipated. But I just can't pass up the bloodlines. So, all my saved funds are being used toward purchasing and picking up this pup from Sweden.
I think I will probably fill it and move over the fish, plants and filter. Haven't bought the light fixture, so I will just move over the 4 foot T8 double bulb I have in the basement. So it won't be the sweet finished and polished tank for another month or two, but at least it won't be sitting empty, staring at me when I sit on the couch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.