Sponge Filter Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sponge Filter Question

Hi everyone,

I've had a sponge filter running in my 10 gallon tank for about a month. The 10 gallon has a HOB filter on it, too. The stocking in there is a betta, an oto, 7 neon tetras and maybe a MTS I think I've seen once or twice.

I want to set up a 10 gallon tank to breed some cherry shrimp for a larger tank I plan on setting up in the future. I figure that getting 10 shrimp and then having 100 to put in my tank right off the bat is better than either just having 10 shrimp in a 75 gallon, or buying 100 shrimp

My question is, if I were to set up the tank, and then just plop that sponge filter into the new 10 gallon, would it then be ready for shrimp? Is that enough of a cycle? Or what else would I have to do?
Padded Wall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you already have your substrate ready, I say you should take one extra step and do the following:

- Put your new substrate into the 10 gallon
- Take your sponge filter that has been running for 1 month and squeeze the literal crap out of it into your substrate
- Fill your new 10 gallon with water from your aquarium and add your sponge filter
- Put some MTS/or fish into the tank until you get your RCS so the BB will have a food source

Then you really should be good to go. Good luck.
shrimpzoo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

What if, say, I did all this on the day that I got the shrimp? and just so I'm clear, it'd be the same except I'd squeeze the sponge filter into the substrate of the new tank?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah it would be the same with that one extra step.

And in this case it would be fine. RCS are hardy as hell and don't produce a ton of bioload (since you are getting 10 for a 10 gallon). Cycling their crap will not be an issue, the sponge will handle that easily.

I would consider taking some plants from your established tank so the RCS will have something to graze on for food. Since your 10gal will be new and has not developed much biofilm. I recommend getting moss for them if you do not yet have any.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

Alright! Thank you.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

I plan this to be relatively low tech, and low light, so only like anubias, moss, java fern and the like, so what do you think I should use for substrate? plain black sand or gravel?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would preferibly use sand since food won't have an issue of being stuck between cracks.

I prefer the look of black sand as well. I would recommend black tahilian moon sand, as well as, having MTS to aerate the substrate from toxic gas bubbles.

Besides, cheap gravel may have its colour fade over time. And if you have an algae magnet scraper be careful as it will attract some sand particles and can scrap your glass.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

buy the second sponge filter and run it in the established tank for a bit too. it might be possible that you could loose a significant amount of the bacteria in your established tank if you squeeze out all the stuff into your new one. run it for a few days then squeeze out the stuff into the new tank and add the new filter as well.
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

I have a half of a bag of eco-complete which would be enough for 5 gallons. Can I mix it with sand? I just want to use it up. While I'm here I have one more question: can anything survive in a tank with a Ph of about 5.5? I want to do an iwagumi, but with aquasoil and co2 I'm not sure cherry shrimp or a betta would survive.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

woah, 5.5? how is it that low, i don't know of anything that is happy in that ph. Low ph = acidic. so i don't think anything is happy swimming in acid. the aquasoil will bring the ph to about 6.5 or somewhere around there. but for betta, i think they like neutral water.
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (136/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepacific View Post
woah, 5.5? how is it that low, i don't know of anything that is happy in that ph. Low ph = acidic. so i don't think anything is happy swimming in acid.
Plenty of fish happily live and breed at that pH.
via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 06-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

Cherries or a betta? That's what I'm hoping to put in there. I just read that cherries like 6.5-8 and bettas 6-8.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
buy the second sponge filter and run it in the established tank for a bit too. it might be possible that you could loose a significant amount of the bacteria in your established tank if you squeeze out all the stuff into your new one. run it for a few days then squeeze out the stuff into the new tank and add the new filter as well.
He has a HOB filter in addition to his sponge filter in his established tank. So he is okay there.

Quote:
woah, 5.5? how is it that low, i don't know of anything that is happy in that ph. Low ph = acidic. so i don't think anything is happy swimming in acid. the aquasoil will bring the ph to about 6.5 or somewhere around there. but for betta, i think they like neutral water.
Crystal Bee Shrimp thrive in low pH (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padded Wall View Post
Cherries or a betta? That's what I'm hoping to put in there. I just read that cherries like 6.5-8 and bettas 6-8.
Cherries are very very very adaptable. Although they prefer a high pH they can adjust and possibly breed in 5.5pH water. Just make sure your parameters are consistently & constantly stable. I've had my cherries survive in a 5.5pH tank where parameters were on the extreme and the tank was cycling as well with substrate leeching ammonia lol (unintentionally).

So I think you could get RCS just fine ._. they are practically un-killable and the hardiest shrimp you could possibly get.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

I'm a bit worried because I did manage to kill two seperate groups of blue velvets with near ideal parameters. Think it may just have not been cycled. Oops. :s

The idea with the 10 is that I want them to breed. Could I just dose excel instead of co2 and have the cherries and hc be OK?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.