White Crayfish Molting Issues
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

White Crayfish Molting Issues

A little off topic for Planted Tank Forum but hard to find reliable info elsewhere.

I purchased a white crayfish an inch big around 6 months ago. The first 2 months he molted 3 times and tripled in size. He molted again a few months ago and mostly recently the other night. (3 inches in length now)

Recently I had a Malawi crab in there with him as both were very passive. The crab unfortunately died of shell rot but not before loosing most his limbs and massive shell decay which was evident at purchase; but I was unaware of what it was at the time . Around the same time he was added I noticed my white crayfish began having black spots on his claws whick looked very similar (I dont think it's contagious and seemed too soon to be so I think coincidence. I read they can sometimes shed the disease off so in an effort to rid it I made sure he was able to eat a lot of protein rich foods like bloodworm as well as algae wafers.

To my delight he molted the other day. Unfortunately he molted differently than before where he normally would molt in one piece; This time was several. I could tell his shell was getting hard and he had molted all but his last right pincher claw so in an effort to help him I removed him and tried helping.

He seemed almost willing for my help and barely struggled and I could tell his shell was almost fully hardened and this was last hope as it was half way off. Unfortunately after what seemed forever with tweezers his new claw fell off still attached to the old one .

His coloring looks good (no visible dark spots) but now he's down a claw.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a diet/ any ways that will help him promote a healthier shell, easier molt next time and a way to speed up the molting process so he can hopefully regrow his claw back quicker?

Tank: 75 Gallon with white quartz sand with 20lbs drift wood and 60 lbs of slate with numerous caves for him.
Temp: 78
Tankmates: Community fish
Filter: FX5
Water Perimeters: Nitrates 0, Ammonia 0, PH 7

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

You didn't mention any Kh/Gh readings, but I will tell you that crays in general do not like soft water. They actually tend to do better in slightly hard water or better.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Feeding an excess of protein to inverts will cause molting issues. From what I read from your post, I am just assuming you fed him a diet of protein more than what you would do normally in hopes for him to molt off the possible disease he was getting.

Just go back to a balanced diet you were feeding him where there was no molting issues and things should be fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.