Trying to get Nitrate level down... - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #31
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Want to send me a handful or two to suck down my nitrates?
Sure for $6 shipping I can send a good sized bunch. Send me a pm.

You will probably also need to increase co2 to combat algae.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #32
HamToast
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a similar issue for a good two months. Green algae covered everything and I was ripping my hair out over it. I finally decided to just invest some serious effort and fight the algae problem full force.

What worked for me was to do a big clean of the tank, taking everything out that was removable and scrubbing algae off those object. I also scraped the glass and rinsed the filter elements in tank water (to preserve the good bacterias).

While doing this I was removing tank water and had it down to about 60% of normal water level. I filled it up and then did a 50% water change. So in total it was about a 65% tank water change, coupled with heavy cleaning.

My fish all took to the stresses just fine and I proceeded with phase two. Over the next week I did a DAILY 30% water change and stopped fertilization. After the first week I continued the daily water changes but dropped the amount to only 10%. After all that was done my nitrates reached a stable 5-10 ppm.

Also make sure your nitrate test is calibrated. A quick search on the forums should get you a pretty good ho-to thread on test kit calibration.

Good luck!
HamToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #33
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

The 2-part algae attack posted by Ham Toast is a good way to go.
But you cannot do only half the job.

Take care of the problem that caused the algae, and physically remove the algae.
With the cause removed the remnants of algae will not be able to stage a come back.

The large and frequent water changes are an important part of the solution. Whatever went wrong, wherever the nutrients came from they need to be removed. Small, infrequent water changes are not going to put a dent in the accumulating nutrients.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #34
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Sorry, I have not had a chance to test my tap water. I do not think there is a problem there though, as I do not have a problem with my nano.

Here is a random question. When reading the results in the test tube, do I hold it up to the light and compare with the light going through the tube? Or hold it up to the card, blocking the light from coming through.

I did a 50% water change last night and tested after. With the tube held up to the light, the result looks like 20 to 40 ppm. With the tube held up to the card so light does not pass through, it looks like 80 ppm.

As for cleaning it out... I did something like that when i had a brown algae out break. I took every plant out and cleaned them, and thoughtfully scrubbed everything. I also added about 20 plants, and 4 Otos. Never had that problem again.

Right now I am dealing with what looks like green hair algae. Its on my driftwood and any plant or object that gets 3 to 4 inches from the surface.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote