Trying to get Nitrate level down... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
I am going to attempt a 50% water change today. The vac still will not be here for a couple days.

I am going to try to clean the filter, but I wont touch the media.

Speaking of media, I know the bio rings you should never have to replace. I guess according to people on here (not the first I have heard this) the sponge lasts for a long time. How about the carbon bag?
Your missing the point... good bacteria grow on all surfaces of a filter.... I have an AQ30 and AQ20 on my 20 gallon. I swap out the purgien but that is all I do to my filters. The one time I did simply remove the media and rinse the filter out with tank water and put the media back in, I had a huge mini cycle... Listen
crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Your missing the point... good bacteria grow on all surfaces of a filter.... I have an AQ30 and AQ20 on my 20 gallon. I swap out the purgien but that is all I do to my filters. The one time I did simply remove the media and rinse the filter out with tank water and put the media back in, I had a huge mini cycle... Listen
Isn't it at least suggested to open up the filter and remove any debris and clean the intake? And check out the pump?

I just meant open it up and remove any debris, not like try to make it look like new or anything. Or should I just never clean it?

Then again, I never touch the setup in my Evolve 4. I basically have the same media setup in it, haven't touched it in months.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Do you use root tabs? I over did the root tabs in my tank, now I'm dealing with 80ppm of nitrates even with 2 30 percent water changes a week.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i guess what they're saying is, don't do huge water changes on your tank if you're going to clean the filter at the same time. if you're going to clean the filter maybe only do about a 25% change. for aquaclears, you do need to routinely clean the intakes and the inpeller as well.
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
I do not use ferts... I stopped using Flourish Comp... I do use root tabs...
Substrate fertilizer tablets are fertilizer, so you are using fertilizer. They may contain nitrogen. Read the label. Do not add more until the nitrate issue is resolved.

Be very careful not to disturb the substrate, the fertilizer tablets might be too close to the surface, or even exposed somewhere. This could very well be the source of the nitrate.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Substrate fertilizer tablets are fertilizer, so you are using fertilizer. They may contain nitrogen. Read the label. Do not add more until the nitrate issue is resolved.

Be very careful not to disturb the substrate, the fertilizer tablets might be too close to the surface, or even exposed somewhere. This could very well be the source of the nitrate.
Sorry to threadjack, but I just read this and realized that I made this mistake. I think I put in too many root tabs, and some are quite close to the substrate surface (enough to see crumbled fertilizer debris exposed where the substrate was disturbed).

My tank is still cycling so my nitrates are 40-80ppm. Not sure how much is attributed to cycling and how much to my root tabs (which do contain nitrogen).

Will this affect my cycle and what do you recommend to do?
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im currently battling the same issue as some of the beads from inside my rootmedic fert capsules are on the top of my substrate here and there. Only two things you can really do are remove or push them deeper and wait it out
Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

d'oh. At least there are no fish or inverts aside from a few trumpet snails in my tank to suffer from my over-zealousness. I found a few and pushed them deeper (which released a little dust cloud of ferts), but they're Pfertz root tabs and are pretty mushy-crumbled already.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
BarbH
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
I am going to attempt a 50% water change today. The vac still will not be here for a couple days.

I am going to try to clean the filter, but I wont touch the media.

Speaking of media, I know the bio rings you should never have to replace. I guess according to people on here (not the first I have heard this) the sponge lasts for a long time. How about the carbon bag?
Carbon in my opinion is really not needed when doing a planted tank for everyday use. From what I have seen the carbon can actually take the nutrients out of the water that the plants use. Any carbon that you do have if it was me I would save for if you ever need to add any medication to the tank. The carbon can be used to help remove medication in the water after a treatment has been done. I don't use carbon in my tanks so I am not completely sure how long it last but if I remember right I have seen from about a couple of weeks to a month.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The last time I did add root tabs (Ozmocote Plus ones I got on here) I did not put them deep enough, and some of them opened near the surface. I thought I had pushed them down far enough and was wrong on a few of them. I removed most of the pieces that came to the surface, or buried them.

So perhaps this is the source of my problem. That was a month ago. I then moved some plants around, and probably disturbed them more.

Should I be concerned about this? Or do I just have to wait it out, doing increased water changes? Does anyone have any tips for ensuring you get them down far enough?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #26
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You'll either wait it out or completely change out your substrate. Waiting it out will take months...depending on the number of tabs you placed in the tank. It's been 3 months for me. You'll need to do larger weekly or bi-weekly water changes. I'm considering buy an additional HOB filter and rotating packs of Nitra-zorb and Purigen to help out.

I guess on the upside my frogbit, which struggled to grow in my tanks before this is now thriving. I'm tossing away handfuls a day.
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #27
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
You'll either wait it out or completely change out your substrate. Waiting it out will take months...depending on the number of tabs you placed in the tank. It's been 3 months for me. You'll need to do larger weekly or bi-weekly water changes. I'm considering buy an additional HOB filter and rotating packs of Nitra-zorb and Purigen to help out.

I guess on the upside my frogbit, which struggled to grow in my tanks before this is now thriving. I'm tossing away handfuls a day.
Want to send me a handful or two to suck down my nitrates?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #28
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Want to send me a handful or two to suck down my nitrates?
I have been thinking of getting soem dwarf water lettuce anyways. I have just always been afraid of blocking light. The light at the outside edges of my tank is weak as it is.

So...

Reduce Feeding (which has already been done, I might even make it every 3 days)
More or larger water changes (partially done, going to attempt a 50% change in the next few days)
Add some floating plants (making a deal on some now)

Sound like a good plan?

The algae growth is bothering me as well, which is what alerted me to a nitrate problem in the first place.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #29
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Keep up the water changes until the fertilizer has finished adding nitrate to the water. Lots of water changes.

Having some plants to remove it is good, too, but if there is a light issue, then the plants may not grow fast enough to be very good at removing the nitrate. Better lights are good.

When you use slow release fertilizer that is supposed to be buried, press each one down all the way to the bottom of the tank, and make sure it stays there when you remove your finger or whatever you are using to push it down.

lullafishi, NO3 level makes no difference to the bacteria you are trying to grow when you are cycling a tank. Keep the ammonia and nitrite under 5 ppm, but the nitrate can get WAY high, and not be an issue.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #30
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

What was the result your tap water? What were the nitrate results checking them against a known level as I mentioned previously? Eliminate the obvious and simple solutions first.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote