stinkin cloudy water
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
dfish2077
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

stinkin cloudy water

OK I know this has been posted a lot but I've been doin what I read from here and my dam water is still cloudy(white). Right now I've done water changes changed my filter media,yes I rinsed it and have my UV sterilizer on but still cloudy. Any suggestions would help. Oh is there a test kit for phosphates. I don't have that. Anyway I'd appreciate you alls comments. Thanks
Dfish
dfish2077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

What have you tried? That may help others know what alternatives are left. There are many threads suggesting many things. Do you dose fertilizers? Have you tried antibiotics? Lowered the temp? Reduced feeding? Tank parameters are always a good inclusion as well.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

it could either be an increase of bacteria or green water. how did you rinse your bio media? if you used tap water then you basically killed the cycle which could be why there is a sudden cloudiness. Maybe add nite out and nite out 2. the first one is bacteria that breaks down organics and the second is nitrifying bacteria. it'll help
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Purigen?
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Search for 'bacterial bloom'.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
dfish2077
Planted Member

Thanks for all your help I appreciate it. I have two filters in each of my hob filters. There marine land penguins 200's. I have the floss filters and a cartridge which holds extra carbon and denitrate sea chem. I did not rinse the floss filters in tap water I use old tank water for that so my lil bacteria buddies don't die. I think I'm gonna try to vaccum the gravel tomorrow see if that helps along with another water change.I'll test my water parameters tomorrow two and let y'all know what the results are. I'm happy to help guide anyone else in the cloudy water problem. I haven't added anything new to the tank in a couple of months so well see what happens tomorrow. I've had my UV sterilizer on all day and no improvement.
Thanks y'all
Dfish

I do dose liquid tests I use sea chem flourish sea chem potassium and an iron supplement. I'm going to vaccum the gravel if I get no results I'm trying the nite out. I am cutting down the feeding too. So well see what happens.
Thanks
Dfish

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-15-2013 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

did you recently add fish to your tank? is there anything that you've changed from your tank such as increased the lighting, temperatures, increased fertilizers, etc?
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
dfish2077
Planted Member

Yea I changed the lighting I went from two t8's to a double fixture t5 he. Total 56 watts. I have a 55 gallon tank. No new fish no increase or decrease of ferts.I forgot what watts the old was. No decrease or increase in temp. Umm I can't think of anything that changed. Maybe its a build up of detritus. I do have a lot plants. I'm not sure I'll look into more tomorrow.
Dfish
Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

Cloudy water? Bacterial bloom -vs- algae bloom.

Bacterial blooms generally resolve within a week or so. They tend to respond well to UV. Lighting generally does not influence the issue. Common causes overfeeding, certain additives, increased water temperatures.

Algae blooms generally occur after increasing lighting. UV may have little effect. It can persist for months. They typically can start as white cloudy water and progress to green. With frequent water changes the white appearance can persist.

To differentiate between the two a three day blackout will clear algae blooms but leave bacterial blooms unaffected. Most of the time algae blooms will return after lighting is restored.

I suspect it's algae. What I would do. Reduce the lighting by raising the fixture or placing screen over the top of the tank. The lighting seems quite high without CO2 injection. Read Lighting aquariums with PAR instead of watts in the lighting section here to estimate PAR and keep it at low or barley medium levels for a tank without CO2 injection. If you have no sensitive invertebrates, dose Algaefix following the recommended dose. If it's an algae problem these interventions should resolve the problem.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
dfish2077
Planted Member

Would algae make white cloudy water. Its not green at all
Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

At first GW looks white. Dip some water into a white cup to see if it is tinged green or not.

If you increased the lighting but changed nothing else I am betting it is GW. I don't think 2 T5NO bulbs are too much for your tank but it was a sudden increase in light.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

Ahh, T5NO. Sorry I read it as HO and thought it was 56w x2. Probably fine then. However, as Kathy said the sudden increase can still cause this.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
dfish2077
Planted Member

I did the white cup its deffinately white not green. U can see the clouds swirling in the water. Water changes have no effect on it.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Search for 'bacterial bloom'.
Google
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
dfish2077
Planted Member

Default stinkin cloudy waterpart 2

I couldn't figure out how to post pics through the other partClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130614_121756.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	159121

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.