The Planted Tank Forum banner

12 gallon long, dirt planted, LED (Updated 11/5)

19K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  idleivey 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm just getting this started. So far I've got the light, tank and power head. I'm waiting for some dolomite to come in the mail before I drop in the substrate. The plan is to do an NPT, unfiltered and stock with Rams or Apistos.

Substrate:
  • Dolomite sprinkle
  • Red clay
  • 1" of MGOPS
  • 1" Black Tahitian Moon sand

Hardware:
  • 12 gallon long Mr. Aqua
  • Hydor Koralia Nano Powerhead
  • Current Satellite 36" freshwater LED+
  • TBD heater

Flora:
  • TBD Dutch

Fauna:
  • TBD

See less See more
#13 ·
Very Interesting...Just waiting for mine to arrive from PetStore.com...I am having hard time deciding on the light for this tank, so it is great to hear about yours, I am also looking at that light, plus Finnex Fugeray, but I am worried about the light being too strong for such a shallow tank?

Mine will be Walstad tank like yours so please just keep posting...I am using mine to light up a kitchen counter...

Looks awesome on the fireplace mantel...

#15 ·
Thanks Bercey...I have ordered the Finnex FugeRay and I hope to have some space left to raise it...will post some pictures once my fight with this set up is over...everything has to fit under the upper kitchen cabinet...stand that hides the power bar and cords, tank, and the light...I love the challenge...

#31 ·
Well the one Koraline nano wasn't enough flow, only covered about half the tank. I tried moving it to the middle but it still wasn't enough. I picked up another powerhead and a zoomed 501 but I wanted to avoid having an external filter. I also don't think it would be enough flow.

Anyway here is how it is so far. Everything is doing well except the miro which melted while there was no flow on the left side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.