Hair algae! Is it permanent?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-16-2003, 05:02 AM   #1
newplantguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi All,

Over the months I have been battling with hair algae. I think I mostly have it taken care now thanks to my Black Lyretail Mollies and maybe my Flying Fox but I have been left with these little short hairs all over my plants and I have no idea how, or if it is even possible, to get rid of them.

Any suggestions? The tank looks great from a slight distance but when you start to really examine it you can see the darn hairs all over the place.

Ryan :roll:
My Aquarium (2.0MB Image) - SeaClear 25G Tall - Seachem Ferts - Hikari Food - AH Supply 55w CF Kit w/ 5300k Lamp - Eheim 2213 Classic - Pro Heat Titanium - Nutrafin CO2 NPS - Island Aquarium Canopy & Base - Vortex D-1 (Occasional Maintenance Polishing)
newplantguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 05:54 AM   #2
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

Little more info plz

How powerful is your light?
PO4 lvl and NO3 lvl?
Plant fertilizer used?
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 06:54 AM   #3
newplantguy
Algae Grower

Here is the info..

4.4wpg AH Supply CF @ 5300k / 12hr Photoperiod
0.0 PO4 (Hagen Test)
0.0 NO3 (Aquarium Pharm Test)
1.5ml/wk Seachem Flourish Comprehensive
20% Weekly Water Change
My Aquarium (2.0MB Image) - SeaClear 25G Tall - Seachem Ferts - Hikari Food - AH Supply 55w CF Kit w/ 5300k Lamp - Eheim 2213 Classic - Pro Heat Titanium - Nutrafin CO2 NPS - Island Aquarium Canopy & Base - Vortex D-1 (Occasional Maintenance Polishing)
Old 12-16-2003, 11:32 AM   #4
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

Thanks for taking the time to bring the info.

From the info,i think it is the light that problems.4.4 watt per gallon seems to be too much. 2-3 watt per gallon is more sufficient in planted aquarium. To clean the algae for once and for all(i hope), cut off the plant leaves with most hair algae while the others,consider these:

a)leave them for fish to eat.

b)take the plant out of the water and use a sponge to scrape them off gently and wash them with tank water and place them back.

c)Left the lights off for 72-96 hours so the algae will die off from lack of nutrients and light.(i don't recommend this one)

And 40% water change is better for a weekly water change
Old 12-16-2003, 01:04 PM   #5
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

um ace no it isn't due to high light. i have 1.5 watts per goolon in a 10 currently and i still have that stuff
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Do you inject CO2 into this tank? You need to add phosphates and nitrates to your tank if they are both at zero.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Your problem is your NO3 and PO4 levels. Algae can survive on nearly undetectable levels of N-P-K, while plants need those levels to be within a certain range to grow.
Add NO3 until it is between 5-10ppm and add PO4 until it is between 0.5-1ppm. Once your plants start growing quickly, there will be less algae on the new leaves, and you can trim off the old leaves.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:32 PM   #8
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I also assume you don't have any K in your tank either. You should dose enough to bring your levels up to about 15-20ppm. You should be in business after that.

Maybe get a good algae crew to expedite the clean up too.
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2003, 02:53 PM   #9
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can hardly tell the best way to fix algae breakout since i never experienced it before.... :lol:
Old 12-16-2003, 04:46 PM   #10
newplantguy
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I do dose CO2 via a yeast generator (not very effective but better than nothing). Do you think my test kits are OK or are Hagen and Aquarium Pharm kits known for not being accurate?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:02 PM   #11
Minders
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Minders Send a message via Yahoo to Minders

I think that most test kits are accurate, it's just that some are easier to read than others. I have the Master Kit, which I think is the same as your Aquarium Pharm test (though I could be mistaken) and the reason I chose that one is because it's much easier to understand the readings than with some other tests. The colour charts that you match your results to seem a lot clearer than some.
4ft tank - Keyhole Cichlids, Marbelled Hatchets, Corys (trilineatus, sterbai, albino sterbai), Brochis Splendens, Emporer Tetras, Golden Pencilfish, Glowlights, Rummynoses, Ottocinclus, Endlers Livebearers, Amano Shrimp (4x 30w Aqua-glo & Power-glo, laterite under sand substrate, Eheim Ecco 2236 and Fluval 4 plus filter)

2ft - Apistogramma Panduro, C139 corys

2.5ft - Breeding colony Zebra Plecs
Minders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2003, 12:35 AM   #12
newplantguy
Algae Grower

What do you guys recommend for NO3 and PO4 supplementation? A Seachem product perhaps?

Ryan
Old 12-19-2003, 12:41 AM   #13
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

For a smaller tank Seachem is a great source, however if you have multiple tanks or a real large tank like I do. Such premixed products can start costing an arm and a leg.... At that point you would look to buy the specific chemicals you need...

Jason
Old 12-19-2003, 03:10 AM   #14
newplantguy
Algae Grower

Are there any companies that make a NO3 supplement? I am having a really hard time finding it at my lfs.

Ryan
Old 12-19-2003, 03:13 AM   #15
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

newplantguy,

I was just informed in my thread about algea of a place http://www.gregwatson.com/products.asp

I just put in an order this afternoon, so I cant tell you much more...

Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.