GDA algae solution
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

GDA algae solution

Happi, among many others, have struggled with Green Dust Algae for months etc. No real mechanism for inducement has been found. No real solution for control over the long term has really been found that's acceptable to many.

The few times I was able to get it to grow, I came up with a leave it be approach for 3-5 weeks, then wipe it off and clean well etc after it starts to slough off good. This worked for many, but also did NOT work for many other folks.

Sewignalot speculated that there was an interaction between BGa and GDA, and thus used EM antibiotics to help clean/remove the GDA also. This again, worked for some, but not all.

Due to the issue of inducement and not knowing how to do this, I felt it might be best to see if you can come up with a control measure that works in worst case scenarios.

So I chose a tank I recently broke down and removed all the plants as I'm undecided what to plant with just yet. There are a few plants, but no one in their right mind would call this tank low light or heavily planted. This tank was brown and green about 7 weeks ago. Walls were covered with algae.

I've not touched the glass since then and I added 20 small 2" long bushy nose plecos. Algae was gone in 1-2 days.

I have an ATI light and have PAR readings about 130 along the sediment and about 450 in the middle at the surface. Not many will more light than this.
I took the CO2 off line for a month also. No change in the algae, but after adding the CO2 back, the few remaining plants have grown better, so I've left it on for the last few weeks. Water change once a week, dosing modified EI 2x a week.

With this much light, no CO2, no plants to speak of.......plenty of ferts, ADA AS......where is my algae?

This is pretty much a worse case scenario, but there's no algae, there's some slight Green spot algae, but you have to look closely, the Bushy nose do not remove this, but no algae eater does really. But, there's no glass algae otherwise, no GDA, not diatoms etc.

So.....I decide to add the bushy nose in mass to a client who had issues when they increased lighting with GDA, many experience this light intensity relationship.

More light= unmanageable GDA.
Less light= manageable GDA

But, you cannot use the full light power..........

So I doubled the light and added the plecos, and..waited for the call about algae. Have not came, in fact , the glass is cleaner than it was with lower light. So is the wood and rock, equipment etc. Tried it a few other folks, same result.

So what am I looking for and why am I'm posting this specifically?
To see if anyone can show that the small Bushy nose plecos at 5-6 per 20-30 Gallons of tank cannot control the GDA issue. They are cheap(less than many Amano Shrimp prices), peaceful little plecos, hardy, etc.

Better them than you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Tom do the BN plecos need to be younger/smaller in order for them to eat the GDA? I currently have two but they are over 5 years old. I have an all ready pretty much overstocked African Cichlid tank....seems like adding 10-12 more plecos might cause something to go wrong. hmmm
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
Tom do the BN plecos need to be younger/smaller in order for them to eat the GDA? I currently have two but they are over 5 years old. I have an all ready pretty much overstocked African Cichlid tank....seems like adding 10-12 more plecos might cause something to go wrong. hmmm
Well, you move and rotate them to other tanks or sell them at the local clubs, takes a few months/years, and they tend to sell well or breed easily, so you can end up with a never ending supply if you want to breed and raise the fry.

I think the smaller young ones are useful and after a good while, I think you might be able to remove them without the GDA coming back also. Have not tried it, but if after a year or so, seems the algae will have given up by then.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Tom

glad you posted this, we will see if anyone else had the experience with these plecos on GDA. my question is will the GDA return if we remove the Pleco?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

i foresee an explosion in BN pleco sales in the near future!

wish i could buy stock in them.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
happi
Planted Tank Guru

i bought 14 of them for $3 each and lets see if they will make any difference.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

What's the minimum tank size? Are they good for nanos?
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #8
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
Tom

glad you posted this, we will see if anyone else had the experience with these plecos on GDA. my question is will the GDA return if we remove the Pleco?
Good question.

I can do that.
They seem effective at removal, so if I get algae again(and I know I shall), not an issue.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
i foresee an explosion in BN pleco sales in the near future!

wish i could buy stock in them.
You can breed them. The client's tank was clean again even at the high high light values.

Seems that other plecos might do the job well also if you have enough of them.
Sturisoma, horde of otto's perhaps, Gold nuggets, but for the bang for the $, the Bushy nose seem pretty good.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
What's the minimum tank size? Are they good for nanos?
I think the min size has to do with the GDA issue, I've rarely seen it in a nano.

20-400 Gallon tanks, yes.

I suppose 3 ought to fix a 10 gallon.
So maybe a 3-4 gallon till they out grow it after a few months, year etc.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I think the min size has to do with the GDA issue, I've rarely seen it in a nano.

20-400 Gallon tanks, yes.

I suppose 3 ought to fix a 10 gallon.
So maybe a 3-4 gallon till they out grow it after a few months, year etc.
Can I get one for a mini-m. I have a really bad outbreak of GDA and BGA! (From a failed dry-start)
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Kate6790
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a question about the bushy nose pleco. I was told that they become territorial once they reach a certain age/size, is this true? I have a 55 gallon that im struggling with algea and would love to add some of these guys. I have a single albino pleco right now but was planning on moving it to my new 20 gallon.
Kate6790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ayep. I used to give my albino BN pleco an algae wafer once every two days. Had a bit of an algae buildup on my glass, bought a magwipe thing to clean the glass...but then hold on, how about just not feeding the pleco? No more algae wafer, and now at night the pleco furiously wipes a 20 gallon high tank clean of algae off the glass...and leaves...and petrified wood...and tank decorations, haha! Absolutely clean other than some tough bits of isolated BBA here and there which I take care of, and isn't in outbreak mode. That magwipe thing was a waste of cash, hah. It's been 2 weeks now, the pleco still seems happy, and the tank is super clean.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Just to confirm, bushy nose or other plecos dont touch green spot algae and blue green right?

Quote:
Green spot algae, but you have to look closely, the Bushy nose do not remove this, but no algae eater does really
Not to mention bushy/bristle nose pleco is $10 a piece here. That might be cheap for you, but not for me

EDIT: Maybe I need some clearing btw the different algae. On my glass what happens is that green spot algae covers it and right after bga covers that algae.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
Just to confirm, bushy nose or other plecos dont touch green spot algae and blue green right?

Not to mention bushy/bristle nose pleco is $10 a piece here. That might be cheap for you, but not for me

EDIT: Maybe I need some clearing btw the different algae. On my glass what happens is that green spot algae covers it and right after bga covers that algae.
i don't think they could do anything to GSA, it is hard to come off, need razor blade to make it come off. if you are getting blue green algae then you are lacking Nitrate in your tank, GSA is related to low Phosphate.