Shipping shrimpies?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
beguiled
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Shipping shrimpies?

Hello everyone!

About a year ago I bought a Fluval Ebi tank and decided to try my hand at shrimp keeping. I bought a mix of 10 SS+ crystal red and black shrimp and now those 10 have ballooned into about well over a hundred in that little 8 gallon tank. xD

So... I'd like to get some of these shrimp out of here! I have no idea how to go about shipping shrimp safely though. I've never shipped any sort of aquaria before.

I know shipping about 5 shrimp in those breather bags could do well? With some sort of foam insulation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also pricing help for someone like me would be helpful!

Thank you!
beguiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

it kinda depends on where you are shipping to. i know last summer several states put bans on shipping li e animals due to heat. go to lowes/home depot and gets foam board or i get the styro that is precut to fit between wall studs and cut to fit your box. you can also order precut styro from aquabid (if you want name of some one pm me a friend of mine sells it) the same friend sells breather bags too. ive used both breather and polly and only had a couple losses total. ive lost a couple with breather and a couple with polly bags so no bag is 100% safe. if you use breather bag i say wrap it in newspaper when you set it in the box. i use the green fiber blown insulation to stuff my boxes and pad them so the bags dont move around. some use shreaded or balled up newspaper as well. there are cool packs you can buy. i have never used them. you can also make your own (1/4 cup rubbing alcohol and 3/4 cup water) make sure to label it though. a friend of mine had a costumer dump it in their tank thinking it was an extra bag of water. but those are my tips hope it helps
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Also, tape the corners of the bags up onto the bag itself. That way there isn't a little pocket where shrimp can get stuck.
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

you cant do that with breather bags. i never do it with polly bags either cause i double bag and if you bag like i do when you twist the 2nd bag is pinches the corners of the first so they are folded any way. when i double bag i put the second bag over the end i just tied.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Gotcha. I've never used breather bags. I have only used 3 mil poly bags and I double bag them the same way. I don't know why I don't put the second bag the opposite way. It would be easier. I guessing l like to do things the hard way. Lol
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i use 2 mil bags but i just bag that way as an extra step no real way for water to leak that way cause one knot will always be up
Old 06-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

I was sent a breather bag of shrimp by someone who I believe used a sealing machine to seal off the corners. very smart, although I don't think it is needed for breathers.

I never heard of the alcohol/water trick. Does that go in poly or breathers, and why does it stay cooler?

Also, I deal in cherries mostly atm (10-15 in a 5x8 breather with a cup+ water.). Is there a necessary reduction in crs numbers when put into breather bags because of sensitivity?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

If shrimp are tiny, I'll do up to 10 Crystals in a 5x8 breather. But I mean tiny to small juvie.

If adult, no more than 5 per. Since they're sensitive, I don't take the risk of putting more shrimp in a bag that could impact water quality.

Am pretty sure you'd be fine with 10 Crystals per bag. Have just never had a reason to have more for shipping.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (31/100%)

The water and alcohol trick allows the solution to get colder before it turns to ice.
We do the same at work with acetone and water when we need to test @0C
SBPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

alcohol will not freeze think about vodka in the freezer for months. by adding more water it will make a gel instead of staying liquid. and i use polly bags. cant really use acetone with plastic bags though cause it will eat though them lol.

also if your using a flat rate box think about shipping in bigger bags. more water equals more stable water temp. and that can come in handy
Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
alcohol will not freeze think about vodka in the freezer for months. by adding more water it will make a gel instead of staying liquid. and i use polly bags. cant really use acetone with plastic bags though cause it will eat though them lol.

also if your using a flat rate box think about shipping in bigger bags. more water equals more stable water temp. and that can come in handy
I stand corrected. The solution won't freeze solid but can be at a lower temp than 32F.

Come on you don't want to see a new shipper get water all over their floor .
SBPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Eeyore
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Is there an upper temp range that most of you would not ship in? Our temp in St Louis was around 97 yesterday and it is going to get MUCH worse in July and August. I can't imagine anything surviving for two or three days in a bag in that temp but maybe they are tougher than I think?
55 gal planted community tank, 46 gal Angel tank, 10 gal planted Cherry tank. 10 gal planted tank currently housing 5 juvie Koi Angelfish. Two empty 55 gals, one 20 long cycling for CRS, and a 5 gal waiting to house dwarf crayfish.

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

During hot weather, I'll take packages to the Post Office myself and include ice packs on occasion. Sometimes I won't even ship unless the buyer is willing to spring for Express/Overnight. If it's hot on the recipient's end, I'll often require them to pick their packages up at the Post Office so they don't have to ride around forever in a hot truck.

A solid week of high 90s and high humidity? Won't usually ship. A single day in the 90s and the rest 80s? Pretty okay, usually, if you package things well.

Example: I just bought four Black King Kong Taiwan Bees and had them overnighted from California. Was nearly 100 and sticky here yesterday and is currently 80 today. They arrived in great shape because the seller used solid packaging, an ice pack and shipped them Express.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
blacksheep998
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Is there a necessary reduction in crs numbers when put into breather bags because of sensitivity?
When I got my CRS the seller put 25 of them in a single breather bag. I was a bit shocked by that, but they came through just fine.
blacksheep998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
NYREPS
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NYREPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If shrimp are tiny, I'll do up to 10 Crystals in a 5x8 breather. But I mean tiny to small juvie.

If adult, no more than 5 per. Since they're sensitive, I don't take the risk of putting more shrimp in a bag that could impact water quality.

Am pretty sure you'd be fine with 10 Crystals per bag. Have just never had a reason to have more for shipping.
I got high grades CRS from Taiwan before and they put 25 per bag and was in transit for over 10 days and they all still live with no problem
NYREPS is offline   Reply With Quote